Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Fuel light?. I don't know if mine even works as I never go below 1/2 tank
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
hmm, i use to get 30 highway and 27 city....but now im getting 21 highway! my engine light is on and i ran the codes: i get the egr (but i replaced the egr valve and the code is still on) and i get all 6 injectors.

So, anybody think those codes have anything to do with my sucky milage?

i use premium and hardly ever go over 3k on the tac.....
Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
throwing injector codes can definitely contribute to poor gas mileage. you might try running some high strength clearer through the vacuum fitting that the FPR uses (let the vacuum draw the cleaner into the intake)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
throwing injector codes can definitely contribute to poor gas mileage. you might try running some high strength clearer through the vacuum fitting that the FPR uses (let the vacuum draw the cleaner into the intake)
-Bill

hmm, i'll try that...can u tell me where the FPR is?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Gosh This is a subject that I really like

Let's just say everything is perfect, O2, TPS, ECU, knockers and that temperature sensor.

The SVX gets terrible mpg when it is cold. That means it is not up to operating temperature. It takes 20 minutes to get up to operating temeprature, engine and trans. The ECU is not in the closed loop mode until it warms up.

The mpg will be crap if the SVX is operated short periods of time when it is cold. In this case all the energy goes into heating it up. I think this is the biggest factor in the mpg for the SVX. Maybe a block heater is a good idea.

I agree that warming up the engine while sitting will lower the mpg. What I do now is start the engine and wait maybe 30 seconds and then drive down a long hill in 3rd gear with my foot off the gas as much as I can. Well you know sometimes somebody wants to pass so I let them. By the time I get to the bottom of the hill the temperature gauge is startiing to move. Part of the hill is steep and I coast at 45 in 3rd down this hill.

Going down hill is much better than going UP hills when the engine is cold.

How long do you sit at red lights not moving? Getting zero mpg..... It would be a step in the right direction if people turned off there engines at long lights and the people behind didn't get to be in a rush. Think about how much gas this could save.

I normally get about 28 mpg per tank and that's driving below the speed limit. I get about 24mpg when I sit in stop and go for about 15 minutes or so going up hills. The best I very got was in the winter, filled the tank after the SVX was all warmed up, drove to Rutlabnd VT and filled it up. I got 32mpg that trip IN THE WINTER!!! No engine or trans warm-up on that tankfull!!!

The best speed to drive is 45 mph with the torque converter locked up afet the engine is warmed up.

I use 3rd or lower when the tach is below 2000rpm going up hills. The torque converter when it is not locked is much more effecient above 2400 rpm.

Of course stomping on the throttle lowers the mpg quickly!!! The worst I have gotten was around 13 or 16mpg after racing at the Pocono speedway....

Take care of that SVX,

John
Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
I've actually heard the Tornado hurts fuel economy. I saw the infomercail, too; it was hilarious. I suppose it's a good device if you're going to be pouring soda from a full 2 litre bottle to an empty 2 litre bottle . . .

We have used this product on two vehicles just to see if it made a difference.
We noticed absolutely zero difference in fuel economy or power. Same went with using a K&N air filter, noticed zero improvement in fuel economy and zero improvement in performance ober a purolator air filter. We also used the K&N on our diesel and noticed nothing. Wasn't any different then using a good quality paper filter.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
SVXtreme

HUGE GAS SAVER!!!!!

drive slow
Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Tired

SVX Commuter, that is a good point about the warm-up period. I drive 62 miles per day and it is 90% highway. I use 89 octane and get around 27 MPG. Winter months are worse though.

I bypassed my factory trans cooler many years ago and use an aftermarket cooler. The factory tranny cooler also serves as a warmer in the Winter – keeping the fluid at a certain temp. My torque converter takes much longer to lock up in the Winter.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
We have used this product on two vehicles just to see if it made a difference.
We noticed absolutely zero difference in fuel economy or power. Same went with using a K&N air filter, noticed zero improvement in fuel economy and zero improvement in performance ober a purolator air filter. We also used the K&N on our diesel and noticed nothing. Wasn't any different then using a good quality paper filter.
I am with you with the ads on stuff. I have found that driving tecnique makes the difference. For instances, getting my foot off the gas when going down even a slight hill pulls a big manifold vaccum. This saves the most gas.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Tired

I drive like an old man now...right at the speed limit. It has made a difference with gas and insurance too!

Somedays I slip though and enjoy power mode. Not often...

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX JAZZ View Post
SVX Commuter, that is a good point about the warm-up period. I drive 62 miles per day and it is 90% highway. I use 89 octane and get around 27 MPG. Winter months are worse though.

I bypassed my factory trans cooler many years ago and use an aftermarket cooler. The factory tranny cooler also serves as a warmer in the Winter – keeping the fluid at a certain temp. My torque converter takes much longer to lock up in the Winter.
I have a 2-way valve on my trans cooler. I bypass the cooler in the winter. Someone else uses a thermostatic control valve to keep the trans warm. That is a good Idea too.

I keep thinking about a block heater. This would most likely help. Of course a garage would help too!!!! I have measure some engine temperatures and sometimes it is still warm the nest morning. Depends on how fast the wind was blowing during the night.

There is a link to a site where a guy put all these drag reducing body parts on a Honda. He got great mpg improvement.

check out this link:

http://forum.ecomodder.com/showthread.php?p=2110

Think about all of this hangin on a 60 mpg SVX!!!! Now that would be a SVX turned heads
Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Tired

2 way valve is a great idea! I need to try that.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM

If you want fuel economy.... VW TDI is the way to go. I wish we would have kept our last TDI. Was an 2002 Jetta 1.9TDI. City was in the mid 40's and highway was in the mid to upper 50's with a best of 64mpg. It was an automatic and I drove the thing like a mad man. My wife got way better fuel economy then me of course. They are very fuel efficient and have far less pollution then a gas burner. My last smog on the TDI was 0.001 ppm. They also do not put out the same smog gases that a gas burner does. This isnt the american diesel that burned peoples eyes out when in heavy traffic, nor does it make a big black over injection cloud that kills small fury animals.

Want even better? The Audi A2 1.4TDI. Audi is owned by VW. VW owns several other brands too like Bugatti which is the worlds fastest prodution vehicle with 1000hp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nHN2rxq1YU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unRvo...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddBrg...eature=related Gawd I love this car!

The Audi A2 TDI is rated at 90mpg. Even the California smog nazis said this was the best thing since sliced bread and they hate any diesel. Audi has also been working on a diesel electric hybrid that they want to get 150+mpg.

Last edited by Thor; 02-26-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
hmm, i dont understand what happend to my car....she use to get 30highway

im confused...now cause 22 is the best in bout 9 months and i dont go over 3k on the tac often and i use premium....

i smell gas when i start/drive the car, so maybe an ECU or injector problem?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICSVX View Post
hmm, i'll try that...can u tell me where the FPR is?
Passenger side rear of injectors on fuel rail.
2 screws holding it on w/ 2 rubber lines.

It's not so much the speed at which you drive but how long of a drive it is. Minimart trips will kill your mpg.
Road trips below 80mph should be WAY better.
I only have 2 tanks thru mine, so far.
It's high desert w/ snow here now, 4200'.
Drive home after purchase and couple trips to town = 19mpg.
Drive over to Ujean = 26mpg some of which is goin over a 5K' pass.
My 6000lb 6.6L Suburban gets 10 mpg unless road tripping then 13, Woohoo
But I can tow my snowmo's w/ it.
I laught cuz you're all the same."

Last edited by Schralper; 02-27-2008 at 11:18 AM.