Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Sconnie

Send a message via MSN to paulmeisterpk
Replaced Duty C Solenoid. Now what?

My car has been having some binding problems, so I made sure all four tires were worn evenly, and then changed out the transfer clutches as well as put a new duty C solenoid in it.

It is still acting up, and seems to get worse after the fluid heats up. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Any suggestions on what to check next is appreciated. I'm really hoping that I can get the problem fixed soon, as I am planning on driving my SVX 4 hours to the Chicago auto show on the 8th.

Thanks. Paul
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmeisterpk View Post
My car has been having some binding problems, so I made sure all four tires were worn evenly, and then changed out the transfer clutches as well as put a new duty C solenoid in it.

It is still acting up, and seems to get worse after the fluid heats up. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Any suggestions on what to check next is appreciated. I'm really hoping that I can get the problem fixed soon, as I am planning on driving my SVX 4 hours to the Chicago auto show on the 8th.

Thanks. Paul
Please detail exactly how the car or transmission is "acting up."

Could be that transmission line pressure is inadequate.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
If it's binding, as he says, it's possible that he pinched the Sol-C wires when the rear case was installed. That won't destroy the solenoid, but it WILL make it inactive.

We'd need to hear more details before jumping to conclusions though.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Sconnie

So to clear things up, after the transmission fluid is warmed up, when I turn at slow speeds, I can feel binding coming from the rear end of the car.

The transmission was rebuilt just over 1000 miles ago, so I don't believe that it is inadequate line pressure that is causing the problem. The transmission has been shifting absolutely perfect since the rebuild.

Before I replaced the transfer clutches and duty C solenoid, it was doing the same binding thing as it is now, so I put in the FWD fuse and the binding went away.

I haven't however reinstalled the FWD fuse after replacing the clutches and solenoid, to see if it once again gets rid of the binding.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
So to clear things up, after the transmission fluid is warmed up, when I turn at slow speeds, I can feel binding coming from the rear end of the car.

The transmission was rebuilt just over 1000 miles ago, so I don't believe that it is inadequate line pressure that is causing the problem. The transmission has been shifting absolutely perfect since the rebuild.

Before I replaced the transfer clutches and duty C solenoid, it was doing the same binding thing as it is now, so I put in the FWD fuse and the binding went away.

I haven't however reinstalled the FWD fuse after replacing the clutches and solenoid, to see if it once again gets rid of the binding.
In order to further clear things up ---- Does the binding occur ONLY when the transmission warms up and not when cold at start up?

The issue now is as to whether the problem is transmission, or possibly relates to the rear differential.

Try the test again with the fuse in, as this will give a valuable confirming clue. Also check again for codes. It remains to be established that the C solenoid is receiving a proper signal.

When the transmission was rebuilt, were all solenoid valves in the valve body replaced, as is the normal procedure?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Sconnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
In order to further clear things up ---- Does the binding occur ONLY when the transmission warms up and not when cold at start up?

The issue now is as to whether the problem is transmission, or possibly relates to the rear differential.

Try the test again with the fuse in, as this will give a valuable confirming clue. Also check again for codes. It remains to be established that the C solenoid is receiving a proper signal.

When the transmission was rebuilt, were all solenoid valves in the valve body replaced, as is the normal procedure?

There is little or no noticeable binding when the trans fluid is cold.

Friday, I will reinstall the FWD fuse and see if the binding remains.

I was thinking of using a duty meter and going into the wiring from the tcu to to find out if the tcu is sending a signal to the duty c solenoid.

The solenoids in the trans were replaced during the rebuild.

I will post what I find when I get back to my car on Friday.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Check the voltage of hte sol c wire where it goes into the trans, that will indicate if you have a problem there, or if there's a pinched wire elsewhere or if it's coming out of hte trans puter.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Check the voltage of hte sol c wire where it goes into the trans, that will indicate if you have a problem there, or if there's a pinched wire elsewhere or if it's coming out of hte trans puter.
Note that solenoid C is normally pulse modulated.

You must take a voltage measurement with the FWD fuse fitted, ignition switched on, engine not running, selector in D, when the voltage should register as between 8 - 14 volts.

With the fuse removed, all as before but with the throttle fully depressed, the voltage should be no more than 0.5 volts.

The resistance of the disconnected solenoid should be between 9 and 15 ohms.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
There is little or no noticeable binding when the trans fluid is cold.
This could be a clue indicating low line pressure when the fluid heats up and becomes less viscous, but is not definitive.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 AM
Catshot

Trevor = are the individual solenoids available for purchase? My son is looking to replace duty solenoid A and he was told that it is only available in a group ..?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by catshot View Post
Trevor = are the individual solenoids available for purchase? My son is looking to replace duty solenoid A and he was told that it is only available in a group ..?
www.subaruparts.com
Parts Lookup
Impreza - SVX
Search

Login Name:
Tom Krynock

Logout | My Account
[ MAIN ][ SVX ][ 1996 4WD ][ Transmission ][ At,control Valve ]

At,control Valve
21620 $27.18 Pipe complete-oil cooler,outlet
22630 $21.07 Sensor assembly-temperature
31705 $676.68 Valve assembly-control sensor
31728 $30.44 Oil strainer assembly-transmission
31836 $9.58 Gasket-separator,upper
31837 $9.58 Gasket-separator,lower
31855 $1.71 Bracket-control valve no.2
$2.27 Bracket-control valve no.1
31939 $317.50 Solenoid assembly-control no.1
$107.85 Solenoid assembly-control no.2
A10686 $0.32 Bolt
A20615 $0.34 Bolt 6x45x45
A50624 $1.63 Bolt & washer assembly
G00505 $0.11 Ball
G92403 $1.91 O ring

Please note: Only the parts for your model are listed above.
Quantity Part # Description List Unit Price Price
Subtotal: $0.00

This system is in development. If you have any questions/problems/suggestions please click Support at the top and send us a message.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 01-29-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i seem to have the exact same issues, turning in a parking space at slow speed, the rear end vibrates bad,

i took it to the transmision place and they told me it was the motor mounts, i order new ones at 180.00 a pop and should be here any day, hopefully that will fix the issue, if not it might be the ssolenoid that your guys are refering to
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsvx View Post
i seem to have the exact same issues, turning in a parking space at slow speed, the rear end vibrates bad,

i took it to the transmision place and they told me it was the motor mounts, i order new ones at 180.00 a pop and should be here any day, hopefully that will fix the issue, if not it might be the ssolenoid that your guys are refering to

Not seeing the connection between motor mounts and rear binding issue

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Sconnie

UPDATE: So I decided to just drive it every once in a while without the FWD fuse in, and the binding seems to have gone away. I also did another TPS adjustment the other day, and now the car drives PERFECT! So I wonder if my transfer clutch pack was just a bit too tight when I installed it and it just needed to work itself in a bit.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
UPDATE: So I decided to just drive it every once in a while without the FWD fuse in, and the binding seems to have gone away. I also did another TPS adjustment the other day, and now the car drives PERFECT! So I wonder if my transfer clutch pack was just a bit too tight when I installed it and it just needed to work itself in a bit.
Yes Paul that is the most likely cause. They do recomend doing 'figure 8s' to bed them in.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.