How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
gasoline

so i was wondering, why do our cars need premium? if i use a lower grade will it effect anything? can i potentially damage something? does the gas mileage change? (i cant experiment, my speedo doesnt work, so neither does any other mileage counter). what exactly is the difference?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
i think 91 octane is the minimum but i run 89 all the time and it runs great. sometimes if you run 87 or so you will get knock from the motor unless you have the ecu chip switched for 87 to prevent knock and you car will run like utter crap!!!unless you have the chip
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
The EG33 runs a 10:1 compression ratio, which is fairly high. This makes it prone to knock, or detonation, the explosive burning of fuel in the cylinders. Knock turns engines into molten hunks of metal. In fuel, octane is the component which governs knock resitance. So more octane = more resistant to knock.

Plus, with more octane you can run more timing advance (firing the spark plugs earlier for more power). The 87 octane switch in the ECUTune chip backs the timing down to a level that will not hurt the engine even on lower octane.

Many people have used regular in their SVXii without causing harm, but if you're going to put your car in a situation where it will be pushed, or the engine will run very hot, high octane is essential.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
put in teh cheap ass 85 octane; he won't know the difference.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy View Post
put in teh cheap ass 85 octane; he won't know the difference.
My car's a girl.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
My car's a girl.
ewwwwwwww.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Graphic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
The EG33 runs a 10:1 compression ratio, which is fairly high. This makes it prone to knock, or detonation, the explosive burning of fuel in the cylinders. Knock turns engines into molten hunks of metal. In fuel, octane is the component which governs knock resitance. So more octane = more resistant to knock.

Plus, with more octane you can run more timing advance (firing the spark plugs earlier for more power). The 87 octane switch in the ECUTune chip backs the timing down to a level that will not hurt the engine even on lower octane.

Many people have used regular in their SVXii without causing harm, but if you're going to put your car in a situation where it will be pushed, or the engine will run very hot, high octane is essential.

Pay attention here.

A lot of people will tell you to run regular, and while you will probably not destroy the engine running it, you will NOT be seeing the level off efficiency or performance that the SVX is capable of.

Those who say that regular won't make a difference are mistaken, but I can't really blame them. The SVX is very sensitive to knock, and has a computer that is slow to learn. If you put regular gas in the computer will throttle back timing over time to compensate, causing a lack of millage and power, but keeping the engine healthy. Most people who put regular gas in their premium required cars won't notice a difference if they one day decide to fill it up with premum, as the driving cycles one tank typically allows will not be enough to allow the computer to learn to advance timing, it is something that happens on a gradient, and over time, so it isn't noticeable.

That being said, if you got in shelfys car, drove it, then drove a car that had adapted to premium and had always run it, you COULD tell a difference, and a marked one at that. I estimate that shelfy is losing 10~20% in power and 10% in milage because of his blasphemous ways.

The rule here is thus, Subaru's engineers knew what they were doing, and I would listen to them. They would not advertise the car as premium only if it worked out just as well to run regular, as cheaper fuel is always a good selling point.

In closing, I would recommend that you look at both the "ignition timing" and "octane" entries in wikipedia and fully understand them if you want a real answer to your question. While 87 won't kill your car, it will cost more in the end due to lost efficiency.

END OF LINE.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 AM

If you live in an area where premium is higher than 91 octane you can safely top-off with regular without worries. Running greater-than-specified octane gains you nothing.

dcb
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Burn Regular

The cars run fine on regular. As indicated by some that really know--you won't notice ANY difference in performance with regular. I have probably put as many miles on these cars as anyone here and it has all been on regular gas (86-89 octane).

The ONLY cautionary note is that if it ever does ping or run after key is turned off--THEN burn premium--or check for knock sensor problem codes.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
The cars run fine on regular. As indicated by some that really know--you won't notice ANY difference in performance with regular.
Says you. I was forced to visit NJ in my SVX, and ran low on gas while I was there, so I stopped for a fill. I hate not being able to pump my own gas, but I dealt with it. I was pretty low as well. After I left, on the way home, I noticed a noticeably rougher ride from the engine, what sounded like a valve tap, and not the responsiveness that I'm used to. I looked at the receipt, and sure enough, 87, even though I specifically said 92.

Under normal driving conditions, I put in 94 exclusively at the shell on my way to work.

Think about it this way: Cost difference between 87 and 92 is roughly 20 cents. On average, I put 12 gallons of gas in my car. That's $2.40 more per fill up, every 8-10 days.

If your gonna own an SVX, you can't be cheap, because premium fuel is about the least expensive maintenance item. If you want your car to last, and treat you well, I recommend sticking with the manufacturer recommendations, they're not there for show, they're there to prolong the life of your car, and enhance your driving experience.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Spoiled Brat of Subaru

Send a message via AIM to WRX_SVXGirl Send a message via MSN to WRX_SVXGirl Send a message via Yahoo to WRX_SVXGirl Send a message via Skype™ to WRX_SVXGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post

If your gonna own an SVX, you can't be cheap, because premium fuel is about the least expensive maintenance item. If you want your car to last, and treat you well, I recommend sticking with the manufacturer recommendations, they're not there for show, they're there to prolong the life of your car, and enhance your driving experience.
these cars cost close to 30-40 K when they first came out and are a rare breed in themselves, for one i am trying to preserve mine and its gets nothing and i means nothing less that 93 octane, and will drive an extra 5 miles or walk just to get it. As everyone has said there is a reason it say premium only, and honestly the car shouldnt take less than 92 octane ever, or you risk destroying the engine.

Just FYI i have never but anything but 93 in my car and get any where for 24-26 MPG city/highway mix.

1993 Subaru SVX Anniversary Edition Red #23

we dont do anything slow
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Funny how what fuel to use is one of the most provocative topics around here.

Of course Subaru specified "premium" for a reason, and the contention that lower octane diminishes economy and performance is perfectly sensible. That said, if my own findings with my own cars supported this, I'd immediately switch to the highest octane I could find. Fact is, I routinely alternate between pumping 1/4 and 3/4 tank of premium and regular, maintain meticulous fuel economy records and conclude that, as applies to my cars and my type of driving, there is no measurable difference. Buying more octane than necessary is a waste of money, in my book.

dcb
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Three things:

1. Buying more octane than you need is a waste of money
2. Yes, the ECU will "learn" what you're feeding it, but it takes a while
3. Audible knock is a bad thing

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Says you. I was forced to visit NJ in my SVX, and ran low on gas while I was there, so I stopped for a fill. I hate not being able to pump my own gas, but I dealt with it. I was pretty low as well. After I left, on the way home, I noticed a noticeably rougher ride from the engine, what sounded like a valve tap, and not the responsiveness that I'm used to. I looked at the receipt, and sure enough, 87, even though I specifically said 92.

When you have owned as many as I have and driven as many miles in them with REGULAR fuel---come back and talk to me.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Funny how what fuel to use is one of the most provocative topics around here.

Of course Subaru specified "premium" for a reason, and the contention that lower octane diminishes economy and performance is perfectly sensible. That said, if my own findings with my own cars supported this, I'd immediately switch to the highest octane I could find. Fact is, I routinely alternate between pumping 1/4 and 3/4 tank of premium and regular, maintain meticulous fuel economy records and conclude that, as applies to my cars and my type of driving, there is no measurable difference. Buying more octane than necessary is a waste of money, in my book.

dcb

Fact--they also detuned the cars from its potential. Of course they ALWAYS hedge their bets. Again--the car runs great on regular fuel. My findings after several hundred thousand miles in several different SVXi come up with the same findings you indicate--no difference--just cheaper.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 01-10-2008 at 03:48 PM.