Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Have you tried replacing the fusible link? Its such a cheap part and easy step to replace i'd suggest it. It worked for me. Only cost $3.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:03 PM

Registered SVX
After reading this thread through again, I put my money on a battery which has developed an internal heat dependent fault. Obviously the problem is very much intermittent, and a static battery test performed with the battery near cold, will not detect such a problem.

There are several current carrying contact points within the battery which could be opened as a result of heat. Furthermore a crack may exist within conductive materials which opens, only when the battery becomes heated. Alternatively, a partial short circuit may occur which is again heat dependent.

The only positive test which will expose or reject such a battery fault, will be to substitute or exchange the battery for a prolonged test period.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 AM

Replaced battery

I replaced my battery by taking it from another car to see if it fixed my problem. At after a couple of days it seemed to work fine. The, after getting home and trying to restart the car after a little while, I had someone crank it over. The first two times I just heard a click and no crank over.

It appeared to me that it was a lack of power, not just a problem with the starter selonoid.

I am going to try replacing the fusible link to see if it may help.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Ken
Old 08-19-2007, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken92SVX
I replaced my battery by taking it from another car to see if it fixed my problem. At after a couple of days it seemed to work fine. The, after getting home and trying to restart the car after a little while, I had someone crank it over. The first two times I just heard a click and no crank over.

It appeared to me that it was a lack of power, not just a problem with the starter selonoid.

I am going to try replacing the fusible link to see if it may help.

Ken
Ken, it is unfortunate that your reports are rather obtuse and very confusing, to the extent that those trying to help must become frustrated. However the intermittent nature of the problem does provide excuses.

You now say that you get a click but the starter does not operate. This most certainly does indicate that there could be a problem involving the proper activation of the starter solenoid. On the basis of others experiences, all now points towards the ignition switch as being the culprit.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 AM

It isn't the battery and it isn't the starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Ken, it is unfortunate that your reports are rather obtuse and very confusing, to the extent that those trying to help must become frustrated. However the intermittent nature of the problem does provide excuses.

You now say that you get a click but the starter does not operate. This most certainly does indicate that there could be a problem involving the proper activation of the starter solenoid. On the basis of others experiences, all now points towards the ignition switch as being the culprit.
Trever, you get confused way too easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 AM

Ken the transmission has a netural/Park switch on the side of the transmission that could be affect by the heat. I suggest when the car is hot and won't start do the following.
- Hold the key in the crank postion as if you were trying to get the starter to turn over.
- Next while still holding the key move the gear shift back and forth try it in netrual and park.
- I the starting is at all effected by the gear stick then it is the switch on the side of the transmission.

Let us know how you go.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren
Trever, you get confused way too easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken, it is you who does the confusing far too easily!!!!!!!!!

MY specific vital query which you have again declined answering, I once more put before you:-

Can you verify that the starter actually engages and that there is a slight turning of the engine?

Your most specific advice and the sum total of your descriptive efforts to date:-

" my car will not crank over.

its like the battery is dead and won't crank over the engine.

I do not believe this problem is related to an electrical problem, just a weak battery because the car requires a higher load than the battery can delivery.

it still does it occasionally, were the car won't crank over.

To me it seems that the car will not crank because there is not enough juice to crank the motor over. I do not think it is the starter solenoid because I have not heard just a click and nothing else. It simply will not crank over at all and dash lights dim when it won't crank over.

it seems that the car will not crank because there is not enough juice to crank the motor over

I do not think it is the starter solenoid because I have not heard just a click and nothing else. It simply will not crank over at all

I had someone crank it over. The first two times I just heard a click and no crank over"

Yes I am crankily confused and frustrated, because in reply to my queries as to whether the starter motor operates, or tries to operate, i.e. is being energised, you keep referring only to the engine as simply not cranking.

“Not cranking” is completely non specific and if taken literally means that the engine crank shaft is not being rotated. This could be as a result of :-

(1) A faulty ignition switch or many other reasons for current (juice), not reaching the solenoid.

(2) A faulty solenoid not switching current to the starter.

(3) A faulty solenoid not engaging the starter pinion.

(4) A mechanical fault preventing engagement of the starter pinion.

(5) A faulty starter motor lacking sufficient power to turn over the engine.

(6) A faulty starter motor, open circuit and not moving.

(7) A poor supply circuit, causing voltage drop between the battery and the solenoid.

(8) A faulty battery, not able to supply sufficient current to firstly fully close the solenoid, or secondly properly power the starter motor.

Please. please, does the starter motor try to operate? Does anything move, grunt or whatever. This has been my continuing question.

In respect of your last post, I assumed, and could only assume in the absence of clear factual advice, that the starter motor is not becoming energised. I had received, “I had someone crank it over. The first two times I just heard a click and no crank over.” !!!!!!!!!

Again frustrated and having given up, I had to make the educated guess that the solenoid is not closing properly, as has been the symptom so often reported, following the discovery of faulty ignition switch start contacts.

Yes I am frustrated as I note the effort spent by several, as is evidenced by replies you have received, when compared with your limited efforts to provide accurate answers and information in return.

I took pains to tastefully word my previous post. I now ask you bluntly, damn it man, does the starter motor move at all, grunt, or show any signs of life, specifically when you turn the ignition switch, not when you crankily, crank the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P. S. N.B. Trevor not Trever !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-23-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Starter relay problem?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This is common on my SVX and on my 94 Impreza. It's the gear lsecting switch that is attached to the transmission gear selector. When the car will not start I shift to nuetral and then it usually goes. If that doesn't do it then I wiggle the gear selector while turning the key and so far that's worked every time !!!!

It is just a hot weather problem. I think the switch gets hot and expands so the contacts just don't hit each other.

Take care of that SVX,

John
Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Starter cranking?

Trevor,

I am very sorry that I am confusing you. I have not had been fortunate enough to determine if the starter is in fact attempting to turn or not. It is an intermittent problem an I never know when it will act up.

Only once did I have someone with me when had the problem repeat but I did not have the hood open as I had him move my car out of my garage as I was moving another car (My garage is two cars deep). I did not expect the problem to happen then and my friend just tried a few times and then it started. This was the first time I had noticed any clicking as I never heard the clicking before when I was in the car and it would not start.

I have not driven the car in a few days because I had a hole in the top radiator hose and luckily I happened to open the hood to see it before I ran out of coolant and overheated the engine. I will be driving it tomorrow, so I will see if the problem will repeat again.

Ken
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Registered SVX
Ken, you sincerely have my sympathy.

Intermittent--##**^^ electrical problems are created to drive one up the --##^^ wall. Basically you are up a creak and unfortunately none can hand you a paddle.

All you can do is, keep all contingencies in mind and rely on good old common sense and logic.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 PM

trever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Ken, you need to be a little more specific in describing exactly what takes place.

(1) Is it that the starter motor does not appear to have enough power to crank the engine properly? Or ---

(2) Does the starter not operate at all, and if so is there a click noise at the starter, indicating that the solenoid is attempting to engage?

(3) Is there never a problem when the engine is cold ?
all the rest of us understood it!!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Ken,

One of the other posters in this thread is likely to have serious emotional distress over my posting this...

but in my own effort to make sure that members get correct information...

In my experience your problem is internal to the starter and getting a new starter will fix your problem.

but then i hear i'm an idiot that's mystified by electricity (despite my many a+'s in university physics and years of successful circuit design)
Old 08-26-2007, 12:36 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
Ken,

One of the other posters in this thread is likely to have serious emotional distress over my posting this...

but in my own effort to make sure that members get correct information...

In my experience your problem is internal to the starter and getting a new starter will fix your problem.

but then i hear i'm an idiot that's mystified by electricity (despite my many a+'s in university physics and years of successful circuit design)
Michael, riddles and sarcasm do nothing towards helping Ken. Furthermore I am in no emotional distress, as I exactly understand all that has been recorded within this thread.

The outstanding important unanswered factor was, as to whether the starter is in fact receiving current. My query in this respect has now been understood and we have a situation whereby it is established that at this point, nothing can be decided, because the fault does not persist long enough to be properly analysed.

Unless it can be shown that the starter is in fact being properly energised, your to suggestion towards replacing the starter, is a shot in the dark and as such could prove a waste of money.

It could be that your ears are not deceiving you. My experience whereby I have dealt with, as well as employed, many with extensive university training, confirms that such does not establish an ability to apply sound logic, or even common sense.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
yes I know, I'm an idiot. I already admitted that I had been told so (by you) (did i mention my a+'s in honors university philosophy--that's where people study logic for those who don't know) (actually trevor, it's pretty rare that someone presumes they are smarter than me--you are most definitely exceptional)

ken,

here's a fact about electrical components...many can not be diagnosed in circuit. There comes a point where you have to pull something out, isolate it and test it. The problem is it is not really practical to remove your starter and put it on a similar load as turning over your engine produces.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you you aren't telling me what I think I need to know to be able to diagnose your problem from thousands of miles away. I'm telling you straight out..my bet is it's your starter. It could also be your ignition switch. It could also be your inhibitor switch. But my "shot in the dark" is it's your starter. I have a few inhibitor switches laying around. I have a starter switch too if you want to give it a try. If you think that's what it is I'm happy to lend them to you if you pay the shipping.