SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Registered SVX
SVX vs STi

Hi,
This is my 1st post. I'm thinking (again / still) about getting an SVX. I have an STi now -- will I be disappointed in the difference in the overall driving experience?

Also, how fragile is the tranny? What other problems can I / should I expect with an SVX?

Does the solar front windshield (not sure what it's called) affect radar detector sensitivity?

Thanks,
Rod.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hey, welcome to the forum

Answer to the first question:
Apples are red, and oranges arent. Also, if orange juice gets in your eye, itll hurt more than an apple. Apples are more commonly associated with teachers, and oranges with florida.

Okay, okay, serious answer. The svx is more luxury oriented. figure your sti with 100 less hp, and mabey 2-300 pounds heavier. The svx'x suspension is a bit more plush than the sti, but Im going to go out on a limb and say that it is more comfortable for long trips. The svx, overall, is a car VERY finely balenced between luxury and performance, with unique style to boot

Second question:
The transmission is probly one of the weakest links in the mechanical aspect of the svx. a transmission cooler can effectivly incrase the life of the stock auto. There are also MANY alternitives to the auto transmission if it happens to fail...you could even rip the 6 speed from your sti and put it in, if need be

Third question:
yes. It'll signifigantly reduce the range of radar detectors, garage door openers, ez-pass, ect. fixes include using a remote mounted radar detector, putting the ez-pass on the rear deck / usint a licence plate mount, and getting out of the car and opening the garage door yourself
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
That's odd, I've never had a problem with the remote for my car/the remote for the community gate/the remote for the garage in my SVX.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

Me neither, my radar detector works fine. It's be slower, but it's classier and less boy-racer-ish. It's also very comfy. I love my SVX.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Oh yeah, and I drove across country in it without stopping at a Motel. Slept in the car when my dad was driving, and he slept when I was driving. Honestly, it's a Grand Touring car whereas that STi is closer to a rally car. SVX can take long distance stuff like it's nothing.

Tip: If you really wanna be comfortable make sure that whatever you stuff into the SVX doesn't prevent the front seats from reclining. It was our one major flaw in the trip.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Mmm, dunno, I think the SVX will disappoint stock. Its just... different.

If you want a softer STi, a legacy spec-B with 6spd is a better platform than the current STi for roadracing, and is a nicer Daily driver.

If you want to just go luxury, Try the 1998 jaguar XJR's are cheap and good if you fit in one. 370+ HP stock can't go wrong, uses mustang cobra supercharger so pulleys exist to up the boost.

But the SVX if you want to put up with the wierdness is a very good ride. Just doesn't have the power or grip of an STi. Its an older car so relaiblity isn't the same and parts can be annoying at times since its a rare model not on the "genaric" subaru platform. On the plus side you much more sit *in* the car instead of *on* the car, you have to drive it to apreciate the difference.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon
On the plus side you much more sit *in* the car instead of *on* the car, you have to drive it to apreciate the difference.
YES. I owned a 1990 Legacy sedan before the SVX, and I always appreciated that you sat in it (as opposed to my dad's Ford Contour where you sit on it).

Then I sat in the SVX for the first time and was like, "Woaaaah. This is low!"
Old 07-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
The STi is a performance machine, with less in mind as far as luxary goes. The SVX is a luxery vehicle, extremely comfortable, but with quite a bit of performance, just not as much as the STi. The "power" mode of the SVX, when it detects agressive driving, will give you a pretty good boost in juice and can push you back into the seat.

I like to go fast. Really fast. Many cars though, due to lack of weight/poor suspension, don't ride nearly as smooth as the SVX. Crusing down the highway at 80mph you feel like your doing 20mph, you've still got excelent handling, and power if you mash the accelerator, yet you can still stop in a pretty decent amount of time. Due to the weight of the SVX, you may want to consider upgrading to drilled/slotted rotors, as the stock heat up easily and tend to warp. My 94 SVX LSi had a great ride, but the suspention was starting to go, as well as the motor mounts and tranny mount. With those replaced, it would be as smooth as my 1980 caddy el dorado with it's 2door body and 6litre v8 engine, yet much faster.

As has been posted many times before, be careful. It seems members can't seem to just buy one...
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned

Drilled/slotted rotors will not improve your braking performance. Switching to amazing pads like Axxis ultimates will.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I was refering to the rotors to help prevent warping, never said it increased performance.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks to everyone who replied. While I appreciate the STi's raw power and handling, it's just that -- pretty raw. I autocross and have tracked it (solosprint) and it's great, but as a cruiser, as many of you say the SVX is likely a much better overall highway car. I'll have a hard look at an SVX in the next days and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks,
Rod.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Hate to get OT here but I don't think it has ever been proven that our rotors warp. I doubt anyone drives their SVX harder than I did in my glory days and my rotors are fine, if not better looking than most peoples.

Good pads improve braking dramatically.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Hate to get OT here but I don't think it has ever been proven that our rotors warp. I doubt anyone drives their SVX harder than I did in my glory days and my rotors are fine, if not better looking than most peoples.

Good pads improve braking dramatically.
Ditto. My rotors never warped. I had uneven pad deposits when I had crappy pads once.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Rotors do not warp.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 PM

Eh, stop parroting Stoptech's BS, rotors can and do warp.

Just not properly designed rotors, for the application they are being used for.

The SVX 's rotors are barely sufficent for its wieght but they are properly designed.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
Drilled/slotted rotors will not improve your braking performance. Switching to amazing pads like Axxis ultimates will.
they will also leave black trails behind you and have you cleaning your wheels every other day. i had them on for about two weeks and removed them. good bite, but not worth the mess.

i have EBC Redstuff ceramics on the LGT now, and they are only slightly less dirty then the Ultimates. "low dust" my ass!!!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)