Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat

One qustion I have regarding the wiring though.....

I have the wiring diagram from the SVX along with the control module I/O chart. according to the I/O chart, plug B59-pin 15 is for the back-up power supply (constant 12v). I cant find that pin on any schematic to verify this.....its just plain not listed. I have gone through the entire schematics several times and can't find it. Can anyone verify that on a 92 SVX ecm plug B59 that pin 15 is constant 12v, pins 2 and 13 are switched 12v and the fuel pump trigger wire?
I don't have the Schem. in front of me, but that soounds right, I remember hooking up one constant 12v, and 2 switched 12v, on FrankenWedge when I did the swap...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-13-2007, 01:21 PM

The biggest problem I have is that no one, not even the dealer has a i/o chart with the ECM connector that my 96 Impreza has.....frusterating. 2.2l is the same connector though.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:38 PM

schematics

Check the hayes manual for the impressa. It also covers the SVX. There are schematics in it. Is this an Aussy impreza? I'm sure it would be similar.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
This should help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf J___PIN_VOLTAGE_CHARTS.PDF (202.3 KB, 222 views)

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 AM

Thank you for the chart! That should help. its more clear than the one I have.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Well....I finally got the hubs done! So now the car is sitting on the tires...not the ones staying on the car, but some tires to move it on. I'm going to just throw some crap tires on it for now to discourage breakage at first.

How are the 5spd swapped cars trannys holding up? I'm a little worried about the on off throttle shock on the gears. Can you guys really beat on the trannys or do you have to be nice to them.....As I have mentioned before, I will be racing this car on tarmac with some big tires (275 rears and 245 fronts)...I have a spare trans just in case, but hopefully I just need to worry about half shafts.

BTW, are there many SVX owners in the Tampa vacinity? The reason I ask, is Mastro Subaru is going to have a meet in mid Aug, I believe. I love for some SVXs to show so that I can thank some of this forums members in person.

The information on this forum has been incredible!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Sold. :'-(

I think one of the first SC'd SVXs is in your general area.
That'd be a cool show attendee.
Raxles front axles
Old 07-15-2007, 02:14 PM

No tranny will hold up to constant abuse, manual or auto...some better than others,....
but if you plan on racing it on a regular basis, I'd stock up on spare tranys, and diffs, and clutch components...just to be on the safe side.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

I believe LAN is in the Tampa area IIRC.

Huck.....I just got a WRX trans as a back up and a new gearset for it. I'm not so worried about the launch...I'll slip the clutch a little to get it off the line... I'm more worried about the on throttle off throttle shock to the gears in second as thats the gear the car will spend most of its time.

The other thing, is that the Impreza I have has a cable clutch and the WRXs are hyd (as you know) so I'd have to convert the whole system over.....I guess we'll find out....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I believe LAN is in the Tampa area IIRC.

Huck.....I just got a WRX trans as a back up and a new gearset for it. I'm not so worried about the launch...I'll slip the clutch a little to get it off the line... I'm more worried about the on throttle off throttle shock to the gears in second as thats the gear the car will spend most of its time.

The other thing, is that the Impreza I have has a cable clutch and the WRXs are hyd (as you know) so I'd have to convert the whole system over.....I guess we'll find out....
Hard launches are what will kill them the fastest...the throttle shock won't be nearly as bad, I'd say it'll hold up fairly well, depending on the HP you're making....

and yep, the WRX stype hydralic will require installing the hydro system...but some hyd. trannys can be converted to cable (such as the RS, and Forester, Legacy's....)
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 PM

The exedy twinplates are fairly soft on the trasmission for thier holding capactiy (450ft-lbs). I think the Carbon versions are even softer and have a hair more holding power.

Lots o money, but they are very rebuildable if you should manage to ever kill one.

Transmissions vary in strength, but basicly the later the year, and the higher end the car the more money Subaru put into stronger guts. The Forester XT's 5spd is insanely tough, but hurt by the 4.44 final drive for most applications. Still looking into if the 9-2X got the same Forester case/gearset but with a sane final drive.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:30 AM

Yup...thats my understanding as well. the late 02 and up WRX 5 spds got the RA width gears as opposed to the earlier 5 spds.

I was wanting to run a FXT 4.44 set up but, I was affraid that I would run out of gear on longer straights like Sebrings back straight. So, 3.90s for me.

I feel alot better though that you guys are reporting the on-off throttle shosk shouldnt be as bad as I was thinking. I'll be sure to keep a spare handy either way. Ideally, I'd like to run the 6mt though......

I have so much to do with my business that its keeping me away from the car right now. Its so close to firing its killing me! Time is all thats needed right now...Arghhhhh!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 AM

Well, I'm at the attempting to start stage. Huck, has been soooooooo helpful with the wiring. The problem I am having right now, is that the main relay isn't working at all. I have power to the relay, tried different relays......dunno, at a loss. Huck helped me with the fuel pump relay and now that is working, but the fuel injectors have constant power but no pulse signal and the coils are the same deal......Like all swaps, this is the frusterating point. Just wanted to update everyone interested.

THANKS HUCK!!!!!!

Craig
Old 08-03-2007, 03:42 PM

It now starts and idles, but only for @ 20 sec then shuts off. I can restart it, and it will run again for @ 20 sec then die........any thoughts? I'm just soooo damn happy to hear this thing run!! the car has taken me a year so far and its nice to see the end.

I would like to thank HUCK BIIIIG time. He has exchanged PM's with me for a while to help me troubleshoot the issues I was having. One more hurdle is to get it to run longer than 20 sec..........

Thanks Huck again!!!

Craig
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
It now starts and idles, but only for @ 20 sec then shuts off. I can restart it, and it will run again for @ 20 sec then die........any thoughts? I'm just soooo damn happy to hear this thing run!! the car has taken me a year so far and its nice to see the end.

I would like to thank HUCK BIIIIG time. He has exchanged PM's with me for a while to help me troubleshoot the issues I was having. One more hurdle is to get it to run longer than 20 sec..........

Thanks Huck again!!!

Craig
Craig,
Do you have a wide band installed? A fuel pressure gage? (sorry, I haven't read back through all of the posts in this thread). I'm guessing the ECU is seeing something that tells it to cut things off (overly lean mixture?). Can you borrow a Select Monitor?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker