Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-08-2006, 04:10 AM

Trevor did that and it has a set of contacts that are Normally Closed and the surface is corroded. You have to destroy to open but its easy to see were it can go wrong I will try to take a photo tomorrow for you. We need to see if we can get the part number for every one. I will call my dealer tomorrow and let people know. It amazing the car gave me such grief for the last 2 months and now it never miss a beat on starting.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:25 AM

Okay the part number should be 82501GA240 its the mains relay. I have ordered one as a spare and will know for sure next week. Cost in Aus dollars was $40 so in the USA maybe $15 and your problem will go away. By the way it is nearly a week and the car has not missed a beat yet.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Trevor did that and it has a set of contacts that are Normally Closed and the surface is corroded. You have to destroy to open but its easy to see were it can go wrong I will try to take a photo tomorrow for you. We need to see if we can get the part number for every one. I will call my dealer tomorrow and let people know. It amazing the car gave me such grief for the last 2 months and now it never miss a beat on starting.
Tony
Thanks a lot, but don't worry about the photo, I can imagine what it is like. Normally closed contacts are more vulnerable, as I am sure you have observed. They are dependent on spring pressure for contact pressure and the springs can become weak. You made the right choice. The manufacturers have done their best to prevent repairs. Spare parts are good business.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
Hey, I called my local Subaru dealer (Tacoma, WA)today to find out if they had one of those 82501GA240 relays in stock. They said that they had a few of them and that they are used in a few places in the car. The bad parts was they are $40 dollars. At that price its not something I want to buy just to see if maybe it fixes the problem. Has anyone else tried replacing this relay and had it fix their random no start issue? I'm just curious if it has worked for a few people before I send $40 on a relay. Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 03:47 PM

If they are used in a different place in the car why not swap one from there.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I remeber we had to swap relays from something to the fuel pump relay in my friends old explorer to get it to run.
Luckily for me, I have a spare everything from my parts car....Just which relay is it?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 11-10-2006, 09:22 PM

Eric head under steering column and it is cliped onto the ECU just pull on the plug and it will come out of the holder. I have attached a photo.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0405.JPG (177.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 AM

Okay the problem came back last week. I think he relay is a result of something damaging it and when you replace it the problem goes away. I changed the starter today thinking that might help but so far it is still playing up.
Any ideas and suggestions greatly appricated dose the car have a capicator to protect the relay?
Tony
Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Okay the problem came back last week. I think he relay is a result of something damaging it and when you replace it the problem goes away. I changed the starter today thinking that might help but so far it is still playing up.
Any ideas and suggestions greatly appricated dose the car have a capicator to protect the relay?
Tony
I gather that you have replaced the relay, but this may not have been in fact faulty and the problem may have gone away by coincidence. Believe me electrical/electronic faults can apparently assume the impossible.

As a check, can you examine the relay you took out and identify that it is, or is not faulty and if faulty in what way? Logic and useful leads are the only means of tracking down intermittent problems.

Edit P.S. There is no possibly suspect protective device relative to the relay.

Chin up, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 11-27-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 AM

Okay I think I finally got it fixed. The problem was the Netrual switch on the WRX was not capiable of handling the power on the starting circut. The wiring was from the Ignuition switch to the Netural switch then back to the starter solanode. My hat off to Matt as I was talking throught the problem and he suggested that I should check the netural switch. Today the car failed to start at all so I had to fix it.
The way to find out is to turn the cruise control on and then play witht he gear leaver and you will hear the relay click. Should be the same on the auto if they have a problem. When I moved the gear stick in Netural the relay went nuts.
The next challange was how to fix as Harvey found any relay would stuff the Cruise control circut so I first tried a standard relay and it didn't work then switched to a electronic relay with resister. Works perfect. The wiring was power from the igination switch (existing wire black) to infeed of relay contact and loop a smaller wire the the coil to throw the contacts, other side of contact back to other existing wire. Ohter side of coil to earth.
So far problem fixed just need to tidy the whole show up a bit.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM

Electrical problem (seems like Tony's)

Hello Tony,
i followed your suggestions, and tried to gather as much info as possible on the car and the problem.
The car is a 1993, 3.319 cc, 230 hp, stock automatic transmission. The car should be modless, but i'll never be sure of it, since it had 5 different owners before me; it should have run approx 250.000 km (i say should, because i know from a previous owner that the odometer has been conveniently "retouched" to mark 98.000).
The only "mod" is a remotely activated alarm (which i lately never use, but use frequency hasn't affected the problem intensity or frequency).
It's been in my hands since aug 2005, and from the day i got it (even the previous owner admitted the "extremely infrequent" problem) it had a severe ignition problem, but since it came for so cheap, i decided it was worth spending the money to buy it, and eventually double the amount to get it perfect. Which wasn't possible, because even the official subaru importer garage wasn't able to fix it (it is significant to mention that only 37 SVX were sold in Italy in the 7 years it had been on the market).
The car has a few minor problems (meaning that they don't interfere much with my use) and one major problem: it doesn't always start.
The situation is as follows: as i enter the car, all inner illumination works perfect, as i turn the key the panel lights up fine and it does all the checks, the vent works, and everything seems normal. As i turn the key to the ignition position, sometimes it starts perfectly. Sometimes it just doesn't. So i try again, and it doesn't. It takes from one to 40 attempts to get it running. Insults don't seem to have any effect.
After turning the key from "panel on" to "start", if it fails, i can distinctly hear a single "clack" coming from somewhere under the hood (the closer i got to locating it, is: facing the engine, to the right of the engine, about midway between the battery and the windshield).
The fusebox is is perfect, i checked it over and over.
The battery was changed 5 months ago, guessing that the car wasn't close to new, and it might be an old little lazy battery. Brand new battery, doesn't help a bit. (when she finally decides to start, she pretends nothing happened, and starts smooth as silk).
The little electric motor that starts the engine (sorry i'm running short of technical terms), was replaced by subaru a year ago, since they blamed all the problem on it. After removing the older one, they noticed it was in fairly poor condition, and was probably the cause generating the problem. But it clearly wasn't, since less than two weeks later the problem was back, but i didn't feel like going back to them again.
I tried all possible rituals and tricks, but nothing seems to work more than once: every time i believed i located the solution (using a spare key, pushing-pulling the key into place, selecting Neutral instead of "P", playing with the lights, brakes, gears...) it didn't work the next time. Nothing really makes a difference.
At this point, i'm stuck with trying over and over until it starts.
Reading your posts, i tried to turn on the cruise control when it doesn't start and, if in Neutral, it clearly clacks, as you reported.
i read the final solution you proposed but couldn't follow too well, for my knowledge of electrics is definitely more limited than yours.
I'd really appreciate if you could spend some more words to explain your road to solution.
Thank you very much,
Ikke
Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Registered SVX
The start signal is clearly intermittent and the circuit must be traced through to ascertain the fault. I gave an initial test procedures within another thread. Over to you.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
The next challange was how to fix as Harvey found any relay would stuff the Cruise control circut so I first tried a standard relay and it didn't work then switched to a electronic relay with resister. Works perfect. .
Tony tell me more about the relay you tried, and the one that you ended up using. What was the solenoid coil resistance.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Tony tell me more about the relay you tried, and the one that you ended up using. What was the solenoid coil resistance.

Harvey.
An electronic relay does not have a solenoid/coil. Obviously the electronic relay was polarity sensitive which could be significant.
What solenoid; what coil; the relay that was not effective?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:58 PM

Trevor, Harvey in the end the relay caused problems with thte crusie so had to develope "plan B" which was to replace the netural switch in the gearbox and then put in a 40 amp relay wire with the two gearbox switches wires going to the in and out of the contacts on the relay and a smaller wire going from the power infeed from switch side into the "N" switch in the WRX box and then out to the coil on the relay. The other side of the relay was sent to ground.
Sorry for my poor expernation but I think you should understand this one. THe car works perfect and start straight away with out delay also I mesuared the voltage on the solinode at the starter and it is up around 12 which explains the quick start.
Have a good day I am going to meet the rest in Sydney tomorrow so I have a 650 k drive to get there and 650 k home should be good.
Tony