Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 05:53 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Punched-out CATS...... What's it sound like???

Just as the title says... My car is a 1995, and when I have to get my car inspected again, they will nolonger do emissions... I am looking for something that would complement the Stebro Exhaust that I currently have... Something that will let it breathe alittle better for AutoX competition.... Something that will "Free the Ferrari within" (The sound I mean)... Anyone who has heard a 3 peice Stebro will know what I'm talking about

So I was looking at Random Technoligies CATS... They are VERY expensive.... But they flow the best of any CAT I have ever seen (if there is a better one out there, please show me!!!)

There are generic off brand CATS that "claim" to be "High-Flow".... But you know they probably are talking about an extra 5 or 10cfm or something... That sort of Ripoff is not acceptable...

Apparently CATS from a stock 1999 Mustang GT will work, and flow more than our stock ones.... But I'd prefer to stay away from "Rigging" components on the car...

CATless exhausts (from my experience) sound very RICE.... That is the last thing that I want my SVX to sound like... Can anyone comment on how Punched out Primary CATS sound??? Remember, I already have the 3 peice Stebro (no 3rd CAT)... If I punch out the two primary CATS who thinks it will sound like RICE??? Who thinks diffrent?? Who has an AUDIO clip of punched out CATS???!?!?!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-14-2006, 06:02 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I punched out the converter on my civic and it sounded like crap.. If I were you I'd just leave it, not like you'll gain any noticeable power anyways, maybe like 2 hp.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I also agree to not get rid of the cats completely. One option would be to swap the "Euro Resonator" for a 2>1 center cat then gut the pre cats.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
From my experiance, punching the cats makes a high pitched "Reeow" kind of noise , usually followed by a hiss.
Gutting the cats just makes a mess, but makes cooking them alot less painstaking. I recomend that you lay down some plastic to keep things clean before doing this
Hope my explanations answered some concerns
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Gut the cat????

Hi Chris, the front cats are an integral part of the SVX exhaust design. They are accounted for in the operation of the system. Even the non catalytic models like Danny's, that can run leaded fuel, have the cat box with the ceramic brick in there, just not coated with the catalytic metals, to allow the system to work right.

If you want to remove them, it is better to replace them with pipe, if you just punch the brick out of them, you will end up with two empty chambers that will lose you some low end torque.

Harvey.
p.s. Do you know that Lions brewery is trying to buy Coopers, this must never happen.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
well i can tell you that i dont have any pre cats and a 2 into 1 high flow center cat and it resonates like no other at 3000-3800 rpms. I have been told this is b/c of the lack of pre cats by many on here. So i would say if you take em out replace them with something else. Definitely wish i had done that. Never know though with the stebro it could be different
Old 02-15-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
If you want to remove them, it is better to replace them with pipe, if you just punch the brick out of them, you will end up with two empty chambers that will lose you some low end torque.
This is what the former owner of my other '92 did, and it sounds fine
Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Hi Chris, the front cats are an integral part of the SVX exhaust design. They are accounted for in the operation of the system. Even the non catalytic models like Danny's, that can run leaded fuel, have the cat box with the ceramic brick in there, just not coated with the catalytic metals, to allow the system to work right.

Harvey.
p.s. Do you know that Lions brewery is trying to buy Coopers, this must never happen.
Yeah, I figured that the CATS were definitly a part of the Exhaust design and that if I removed the materieal I'd loose that torque down low that gives me the advantage over a good number of WRX's on the AutoX course.... The thing is though, What to replace them with??? Straight pipes are pretty much out of the question. That changes the exhaust even more... Replacement "High-flow" CATS sound like a great idea, however they are so $$$$.... Does anyone know of a High-Flow CAT that will fit where the two primary CATS are on the SVX??? I'd prefer an all Metallic CAT (Like the Random Technoligies CATS) that flows around 400cfm and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

Harvey, I didn't know that coopers was up for sale!??!?! That's terrible!!! !!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
From my experiance, punching the cats makes a high pitched "Reeow" kind of noise , usually followed by a hiss.
Gutting the cats just makes a mess, but makes cooking them alot less painstaking. I recomend that you lay down some plastic to keep things clean before doing this
Hope my explanations answered some concerns
I'm sitting here imagining a catalytic converter in a pot of boiling water.

Mmmmm..

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:41 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Just as the title says...

meowwwwwwwwwww?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-15-2006, 02:04 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
I've been through my share of header back exhaust systems on my SVX, and in my experience, removing the primary cats doesn't hurt low end power at all. I've always figured that the ceramic mesh would be detrimental to any kind of exhaust dynamics. It disperses sonic waves, and it slows exhaust velocity. Besides that, having the exhaust pipe open up at the primary cats causes a sonic reflection that would only provide a benefit at something like 7000 rpm. As I see it, that sonic energy is going to waste and would be better used if it were reflected at a point further down the exhaust line where it could cause gains in power at a useful point in the powerband.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
I've heard an SVX "uncorked" before, and it is REALLY loud, but I like the sound of it, it's very mean. I don't know if you should just punch the cats out though, with the stock piping being smaller, wouldn't the diference in size hurt the flow?

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
It was my understanding the pre cats act as a pre-dump at high rpms to slightly diminished backpressure.
Did I get this part wrong?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I've been through my share of header back exhaust systems on my SVX, and in my experience, removing the primary cats doesn't hurt low end power at all. I've always figured that the ceramic mesh would be detrimental to any kind of exhaust dynamics. It disperses sonic waves, and it slows exhaust velocity. Besides that, having the exhaust pipe open up at the primary cats causes a sonic reflection that would only provide a benefit at something like 7000 rpm. As I see it, that sonic energy is going to waste and would be better used if it were reflected at a point further down the exhaust line where it could cause gains in power at a useful point in the powerband.
Yes, no, if the cat is replaced with a pipe, it will still allow the low speed gas inertia to work ok. If the brick is removed from the cat, and the can left, it will hurt the low speed gas inert, by having the gas pressure expand too early before it has developed the inertia to clear the cylinder. Yes it would reflect the sonic wave too early.

I feel you have a negative view of a catalytic converter. They are not as bad as you think. The area of the holes in the ceramic brick is larger than the pipe, so it does not restrict the gas flow, and it doesn't affect the sonic wave, it just pases through, just like the mesh covering over your stereo speakers, on your Hi Fi.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Hi Harvey. I understand what you mean by the speaker grille analogy, but I think the cat brick does have some sound damping because the exhaust note on my car got quite a bit louder when I removed the primary cats (with no other change to the exhaust system).

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.