Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Trunk Monkey?? what is that???
Scroll down to the videos on this site, click on them and you will see what a trunk monkey is

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 10-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
IS THAT IT??? WOOOOOOOOOOW i like it !!!! i am gonna order one..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 10-11-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Wrapping with isolators

I wrapped the copper with isolator heat resistant tape, then thick rubber compound (you can see a piece form it between the two tubes inthe third picture below) then again the same isolator tape... now even a NUKE cannot reach the copper :

gimme some opinions...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
there are still the tubes that go to the intake still not finished because maybe i will cut like an inch from them... and the long copper tube that is fixed to them... so i need some more time to get it right.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Copper is notorious for accumulating condensation.

Air and water do not harm it however.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Mr Soob

Looks interesting, I'd like to see how well it goes. I'm not totally convinced it will work in any spectactular fashion, but it should work well before the copper body heats up.

My suspicion is that the heat will take a while to soak up, but it eventually will soak up the heat in the engine bay (Particularly from the protruding copper attachments and so on). Once this happens it'll take a long time to cool down even after the car is switched off.

Asbestos is illegal to have anywhere in Australia, so we can't use that qapproach.

I would have sandwiched cooling coils between concentric tubes, and put heat-reflective lining on the outside. Intake charge should stay at ambient temperature all the way to the manifold. Cooling tubes would be returned to ambient with a small cooler mounted in the wheel well, or on a bonnet scoop...
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff
Looks interesting, I'd like to see how well it goes. I'm not totally convinced it will work in any spectactular fashion, but it should work well before the copper body heats up.

My suspicion is that the heat will take a while to soak up, but it eventually will soak up the heat in the engine bay (Particularly from the protruding copper attachments and so on). Once this happens it'll take a long time to cool down even after the car is switched off.

Asbestos is illegal to have anywhere in Australia, so we can't use that qapproach.

I would have sandwiched cooling coils between concentric tubes, and put heat-reflective lining on the outside. Intake charge should stay at ambient temperature all the way to the manifold. Cooling tubes would be returned to ambient with a small cooler mounted in the wheel well, or on a bonnet scoop...
I didn't use asbestos but rather a think rubber compound you can see above in the third pic and heat resistant tape. as for the sticky parts, they will be covered with the rubber tubing and the parts where they will not be covered with that tubing, i will cover them with the Rubba

PS: Heat is not allowed and at any cost

Just lemme wrap it up, i am waiting my friend who helped me welding the stuff (Joe) just to give me 1 hour of his time because he is really busy now...

Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 AM
no limitation as limitation

copper does oxidize... fast. depending on whats in the air if coper is left unfinished it will become black. thats why on audio aplications and computer stuff the coper is gold plated as the gold will not oxidize.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Um, danny what are you looking to do with this? I mean there is a reason there are bends rather than sharp angles on the stock tubing... Listen, it may be a good idea on paper, but I do not see you reaching any gains from this, so why are you doing it?? I don't want to be rash but realistic

Tom
Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am wondering how much more this unit, with all the copper, insulation, rubber and tape weigh over the stock unit. Will you really get that much more power to offset this?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Um, danny what are you looking to do with this? I mean there is a reason there are bends rather than sharp angles on the stock tubing... Listen, it may be a good idea on paper, but I do not see you reaching any gains from this, so why are you doing it?? I don't want to be rash but realistic

Tom
Tom there was a mention in another thread that copper cools more than other metals, so i am wrapping it with isolator and letting real cold air gets inside it from the outside. Copper will cool more and more as more air gets sucked from outside and the isolator will help me out to get the best results possible... i will be testing it for days to come...

I didn't get the thing of bends and sharp angles....

Old 10-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
the stock plastic intake is flowing with mandrel bends, your setup has a sharp turn to get to the collector which will acutally disrupt smooth airflow.

While copper may cool down the air comming in, it will not cool it enough to make any difference. The air is heated mainly in the intake manifold so your 1 degrees difference that you may acheive will not make a lick of difference by the time it reaches the cylinders... Sorry to disapoint

Tom
Old 10-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
the stock plastic intake is flowing with mandrel bends, your setup has a sharp turn to get to the collector which will acutally disrupt smooth airflow.

While copper may cool down the air comming in, it will not cool it enough to make any difference. The air is heated mainly in the intake manifold so your 1 degrees difference that you may acheive will not make a lick of difference by the time it reaches the cylinders... Sorry to disapoint

Tom
Tom, life is based on trial and error, i am not saying that my setup will work 100%, i am just exploiting all possibilities. The major work is to be achieved on the level of the external K&N and not inside the engine bay.

i am having high hopes on the work inside the fender. I am just wishing that what i have in mind will work, if not, it won't be worse than the stock setup.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM

Copper, like all metals, does not cool anything. What is does do (and very well) is transfer heat from one place to another. Silver and gold are better conductors (and don't oxidize or corrode like copper eventually does) but are clearly too expensive here.

If you have something hot, and something cold, and connect them with a piece of copper, the heat will tend to transfer from the hot thing to the cold thing. This is called a heat-exchanger. You've got one in your air conditioner, heater, refridgerator, etc. The best ones are copper, the decent ones are aluminum, and the cheapo ones are steel or tin, etc. In automove use copper is almost never used because it's so heavy - race cars have aluminum radiators, not copper.

In this case, you've only got a hot thing - the engine bay. The air going through the intake pipe is almost always going to be cooler than the engine bay so the idea of insulating the air is a good one. But copper is not a good insulator, its a good conductor. So by wrapping the air in copper you are creating a good pathway for the heat from the engine bay to transfer to the air, not away from it. Your copper pipe will certainly heat up from the temperature of the air going through it, as well as the friciton that the moving air creates (especially from the bad bends). Where do you expect this heat to go if you have insulated the copper pipe?

We all get it that if you touch a piece of copper it will feel cold. That's because your hand is at around 98.6 degrees, and the copper is less than that (unless you are in a 98.6 degree room) so the heat from your hand will transfer to the copper. Once you hold the copper in your hand for a while it no longer feels cold, that's because the temperature of the two things has equalized. If you put gloves on and touch the copper does it feel cold?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
You are right about what you mentioned, the only problem that can cause the system to fail is on the level of the manifold. For that copper will not touch the manifold, i will do a rubber extension and cover the twintubes from the inside with insulating tape. The only thing that caf fail is the transfer of hot air from the manifold to the copper piping on the level if direct intake.

But what i am sure of is that i will be pumping very cold air to the inside of the copper but I can be "screw*d" on the level of heated air transfer from manifold to copper system...

This is why i put a fan inside the system... hoping to work? I may turn out to be the silliest and stupidist idea ever or a genius one??? i still dunno

But what i know is that i always have the incentive and will for the best... isn't it???