Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 AM

svx transplant

I've recently been going through my '92 engine and replacing seals, water pump, etc. I don't own an SVX, just the engine, so I've decided to put the engine in my Porsche 914. I've had my 914 for years but over a year ago pulled the old tired 95hp engine out and sold it and almost have it ready for paint. I need a new engine to put in and why not the 3.3L? A 230hp engine in a car with a total weight of 2300lb should be fun! I just bought an engine adapter from Kennedy Engineering to mate the 3.3 to my Porsche 5-spd tranny. I hope to test fit it in the engine bay this weekend, and then pull it back out and paint my car. I've gotten rid of the power steering pump and a/c as well. My main hurdles now are:

Alternator. Due to the small engine compartment size on the 914 I think I may have to flip my intake manifold around in order to fit the throttle body on. I won't have to worry about the power steering or a/c, but if I flip the intake manifold around I will have to fabricate a bracket to hold the alternator on. Should I even bother with a stock alternator? If I have to custom mount it (and I don't currently have a SVX alternaor) why not use one from any model that roughly fits and is rated closely?

Egr. I also don't have any of the egr components. My 914 is a '73 and I'm not going to worry about emissions. I still have an evap canister on my car and can use that, but will the car run OK without any of the Suby egr?

Management. Megasquirt maybe? Try and work with the SVX ecu? Wiring is going to be interesting.

I'm just in the test fitting stage and until I paint my car won't be really trying to get the car running. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Wow 10lbs/horse... That thing will scream.

I think if you had to flip the manifold around you might be able to squeeze the alt where the a/c used to be.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Awesome project!!!! I will post more when I have some time, but awesome!

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Good luck with your project. I'd love to see some pictures of this dilemma you're currently facing.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...light=eg33+wrx

This thread may be of some interest to you. They flipped the intake and moved the alternator. I do not know much about stand alone ecu's, but I think that would definitely be the way to go. I would think it would be very difficult to utilize the SVX ecu. IIRC, Stevebsy has had experience with the Megasquirt. I think Mychailo is knowledgeable in this area as well.

Do keep us updated with your progress. I think it will be amazing! A 914-6 on Suby-Steroids.....

I don't think you need a vacuum canister and egr shouldn't be necessary if you go with an aftermarket ECU. Don't know about the EGR for sure though.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

So there's adaptors made for it huh? I know the ER27 from the XT6 is a very popular engine to put in the VW/Porsches.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:50 PM

I'll take some pictures tonight of my new adapter plate and clutch. The company I bought my pieces from specializes in adapter plates and clutches for VW/Porsche trannies. I wasn't sure if they could do one for the eg33, but they made one. Of course, I haven't put it on yet...
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I've run without an egr manifold tube(from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold) ever since I installed my first set of headers, about two years ago. No issues or c.e.l.s
Sounds like a GREAT project! Good luck with the wiring.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
SVX Appeal

Factory ECU all the way. Integrating a factory ECU is usually not a very big deal. The only real difference between an after market controller and the factory unit is that the after market one comes with instructions (which may not be very good anyway,) whereas the factory unit comes with nothing. Much to the advantage of the factory ECU is that extensive documentation and wiring diagrams are available, and once it's installed, it will work with no further headaches.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:14 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Again I post.....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 PM
no limitation as limitation

id go with the factory. tuning the aftermarket for what the eg33 needs would be a pita. and this way if you want to run any of ecutunes' stuff, you can.i have researched puting a ls1/lt1 in a fiero. most people use the factory ecu.

i wouldnt mind puting a 33 or a v8 into a fiero with a rebody so it doesnt look like pooh. i had a fiero striped down ready for transplant but i ran out of time and gave it to a friend who turned it into a dune buggy.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
awsome project. Sounds like that car will scream. Good luck!!

Tom
Old 06-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Awesome! Post pics when you're able...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-14-2005, 12:03 AM

I took a couple of pic's of the adapter plate, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc and the car to be painted soon. I got stuck changing the steering rack on my wife's Explorer this last week and now I'm going to travel this week so next week I'll mate the engine to my tranny and test fit it in. I need the key measurements of trial fitting to see if I need to flip my intake manifold around and how my engine mount bar will line up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0086.JPG (710.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0084.JPG (837.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0083.JPG (720.4 KB, 119 views)