How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-20-2001, 02:37 PM
likethecube

Question Need Advice for new tires

I need to get new tires and have addtional tires for consideration and comments from the member. Areas for evaluation are durability, performance in different seasons, and noise level. Here are the candiatates

BF Goodrich g-Force TA KDW (ZR)

Kuhmo ECSTA Supra 712 (ZR)

Falken ZE-502 (VR)

Yokohama A520 (ZR)

Nitto NT-450 (VR)

Thanks, likethecube
Old 11-20-2001, 02:39 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Hmmm. No Yokahama AVS db's. This seems to be the tire of choice for a lot of the membership.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-20-2001, 03:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
For a good all-around tire, I really like the Dunlop D60A2 JLB. I'm on my second set. I have never had an ultra-high-performance tire to compare it to on dry pavement, but in rain and snow I have been really impressed with them - even when almost bald.

And they're cheap!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-20-2001, 03:31 PM
I look like Gordon

Where do you live? Do you drive it in all weather, or only when the sun's a-shining? Do you want minimum noise, maximum stick, long tread life, what? You'll get a lot of opinions on this subject, but you'll get more useful ones if you give us some more information.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:11 PM
likethecube

Where I live, we do not get hardly any snow - mostly rains in the winter. I do need the tires to perform well in sun and rain, minimum noise is also important along with good grip, tread life is not a real big concern.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:37 PM
Zombie

I had TOYO Proxes T1s on my eclipse. I bought them for all weather traction. They were awesome in snow and rain, and gained me about 5-10 mph in corners stock size on stock rims. they flat out grip the road, and dont let go. Quiet too.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Tires are a compromise

though it looks like you are very focused on performance from the tires you are looking at. Here's my reviews of those you selected based on my personal experience.

BF Goodrich KDW - My father has them on his Ford Contour SVT and they stick great but are no good in the winter and wear quickly (especially when he takes on-ramps flat-out inthird gear! GO POP!)

Kumho ECSTA- I have these in 225/45-17 on my SVX right now and like them. Good dry and wet grip, appear to wear well and very inexpensive. Good reviews at TireRack as well.

Nitto NT-450 - Cheap, OK dry drip, but worse wet grip than the Kumho. All season capable.

I have also used the Pirelli P7000 Super Sport which have very good wet and dry grip but get very noisy (think wheel bearing faliure level) after about 15,000 miles. The Bridgestone RE-940 I was very impressed with. Very laong lasting and good all-season capability. Very quiet over the life of the tire.

I'm having Dunlop Sport A2's mounted tomorrow on my stock 16" rims to save my 17" SSR's from winter wear and tear. I'll post a report after they are mounted.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:37 PM
Lowered SVX

i have used.....

the Nitto 450 extremes and they performed well enough in the dry and wet but sidewall durability was atrocious. plus the ride was a bit rough.

i currently have the bridgestone potenza RE730's and i am very happy with the ride. traction in the wet and dry are great. i took a 35mph curve in the rain doing 60mph and there was not even the threat of slippage. (yeah i know that was stupid, but i did it.....). plus the price for these tires is really great. i currently have them on my car 225/45/17.

good luck....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"