How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-16-2001, 06:58 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
"... I watched a show where people were crashing their SUVs because they were overloading them with cargo. Apparently even though they are large they aren't made to carry much weight. Go figure!"

Yeah, that falls into the "I can't be overweight, I still have room for more stuff" category. Or maybe the "Whaddya mean, overweight? What's that?" category, which is directly above "My tires aren't flat, they have plenty of air in them. I just checked them last year."

SUVs + extra weight = a waiter with a platter of food in each hand, held overhead, on stilts. Add in one cell phone cradled on shoulder and six screaming kids following him....

Beav
Old 11-16-2001, 07:19 AM
lightning_8669

Nice visual

By the way I've been to that resaraunt

I also like the tire explodes the Explorer rolls over. A failure in logic here. If a tire explodes it does NOT mean the vehicle should roll over. The tire is only at fault for exploding. If the vehicle's handling characteristics don't allow for control after the tire goes away that's the vehicle manufacturer's fault. Likely coupled with poor driver performance. And then Ford goes and replaces the Firestones with tires from a manufacturer with and even worse safety record.

I wonder what it would take to roll an SVX
Old 11-16-2001, 08:30 AM
Not as old as Randy

Wink Hey! Look! Another soapbox for me!

Hard to imagine a tire company with a worse record than Firestone.

Have you read some of the stories from the owners who had problems with their tires? Typical: "We were on the expressway and heard a strange thumping noise coming from the rear of the truck. The farther we went, the louder it got. After about 15 or 20 minutes of listening to the noise, the tire blew out and we lost control.....yadda, yadda, yadda......" If you're stupid enough to continue driving at high speed while listening to a thumping noise you're probably also not much of a driver. I could easily say something crass and Darwinistic here.

Am I the only one here that's tired of so many people that can't take responsibility for their own actions? O.K., there may or may not be an inordinate amount of tire failures on those tire/vehicle combinations but I'll guarantee you that not a single mishap occured without a fair amount of forewarning. Tires absolutely do not just 'explode' without warning.

As far as the control-ability of the vehicle with a blow-out: SUVs aren't normal vehicles, just as a waiter on stilts is not a normal waiter. Manufacturers sell people what they want, not what they need. They place stickers all over them telling drivers that the vehicle handles differently and are susceptible to roll-overs. Next to a thorough beating with a 2x4 after the customer signs on the dotted line what would you recommend? You can't blame the manufacturers because the customers refuse to use the product properly.

"And that's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Beav
Old 11-16-2001, 08:44 AM
lightning_8669

Ahhh...

How refreshing to hear such common sense. But let us not forget the overpowering wife in the Ford/Firestone marriage (that would be Mrs. Ford for those of you missing my meaning). Ford is a company that will tell you (like GM and Chrysler will too) that they will only pay "X" amount for something. And if you can't meet their price they will come in and "show you how" to meet the price. They basically tell you what they will and will not pay for. Let us also not forget that Ford did not follow Firestone's inflation recomendations and that caused the tires to run hot. Also let us not forget that Firestone was awarded quality supplier awards by Ford up until the news started carrying pictures of Explorers on their roofs. At which point Ford suddenly said Firestone sucked (and I love you too, dear).

The saying "mia culpa" is a rule nearly the rest of the world lives by. Translated it roughly means "I'm responsible for what happens to me". We're sue happy in this nation and everyone wants to blame someone else for their suffering. I'm tired of all this political correct crap along with people who don't want to take ownership for their situations. If you can't keep your machine right side up after a tire goes away take a bus!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:48 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Angry

Don'tcha' just love the burglers that sue the homeower, Smith & Wesson, & the inventor of doorlocks when his knee gets blown into a sack of marbles by someone who has the audacity to attack a poor "tradesman" just applying his life skills?
My response would be to counter-sue Mr. Burgler's entire family tree back to the year 1600 for producing & perpetuating an obviously defective gene pool. Darwin rules!
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:51 AM
Not as old as Randy

Yeah, but...

...if you won wouldn't that make you a reciever of stolen goods?
Old 11-16-2001, 10:22 AM
lightning_8669

One for Ron...

Here's one that bugged me because I'm a pilot. Apparently a gentleman was doing aerobatics with his properly equipped plane in appropriate airspace with the necessary credentials. Unfortunately something went wrong and he crashed, tragically ending his life. Now for the irritating part. The field he crashed in started on fire. The owner of the field was in town getting his hair cut when he got word about the crash. For some unknown reason he felt he needed to get over there right away and ran out of the barber shop, hopped into his pickup truck, sped down the road and promptly lost control of his vehicle. The *really* sad part was that after losing control and going over the curb he seriously mangled a woman and her child. Now for the part that irritates me. The family of the woman and child went after the estate of the pilot saying he was to blame for their suffering!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE GUY IN THE TRUCK!!!!!!!

Is it just me?
Old 11-16-2001, 10:30 AM
Not as old as Randy

Wink

Generally lawyers name everybody possible in a suit, just in case someone actually has some money...
Old 11-16-2001, 10:52 AM
lightning_8669

<just in case someone actually has some money...>

And we know who gets the money in the end now don't we?

Fortunately in the case I described earlier the judge was awake enough to tell the people to sober up. The guy in the pick up truck was probably some "poor farmer" and the guy in the plane had enough money to afford and expensive "toy" so his estates pockets were probably deeper than the farmer's. But that still isn't a reason to avoid doing what is right.

We better change the subject or you'll have me going on this all day
Old 11-16-2001, 11:19 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: One for Ron...

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
Here's one that bugged me because I'm a pilot. Apparently a gentleman was doing aerobatics with his properly equipped plane in appropriate airspace with the necessary credentials. Unfortunately something went wrong and he crashed, tragically ending his life. Now for the irritating part. The field he crashed in started on fire. The owner of the field was in town getting his hair cut when he got word about the crash. For some unknown reason he felt he needed to get over there right away and ran out of the barber shop, hopped into his pickup truck, sped down the road and promptly lost control of his vehicle. The *really* sad part was that after losing control and going over the curb he seriously mangled a woman and her child. Now for the part that irritates me. The family of the woman and child went after the estate of the pilot saying he was to blame for their suffering!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE GUY IN THE TRUCK!!!!!!!

Is it just me?
Yeah, lightening, it's just you. And just think the results if that truck were driving on Firestone's finest! Some day we'll all be driving on wooden tires.
NO... I guess we'll be suing God for those faulty trees.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:39 AM
lightning_8669

<Some day we'll all be driving on wooden tires. >

You forget that wood burns. Can't have that. Stone you say? Nope, could fall over and break a toe or foot. Can't have that either. How about mumified lawyers?
Old 11-16-2001, 12:07 PM
Lowered SVX

personal responsibility...?

what is that? you might i have to take ownership of my own actions. not me.....!!

this is seriously the attitude of a lot of people. these people dont think of consequences, they do what they want to who they want and when they get caught they blame someone else. it is bull$hit and we all know it. sadly we all also no someone who fits this mold exactly. they are selfish hypocrits that are out for their own personal gain at all costs.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-16-2001, 12:11 PM
lightning_8669

Just think of how easy our lives could be if only we were mistreated as a child Hell, we may do something as irresponsible as painting an SVX YELLOW!!!!

There. 'Bout time someone gets back on topic around here.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
Just think of how easy our lives could be if only we were mistreated as a child Hell, we may do something as irresponsible as painting an SVX YELLOW!!!!

There. 'Bout time someone gets back on topic around here.
Okay, this thread's been ranting on much too long. I could handle the other stuff, but, I can't take this one. Stop now, or I'll have to delete this thread.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-16-2001, 06:09 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Legal tender

<Generally lawyers name everybody possible in a suit>

Yeah, ain't it the truth? Three-piece, pinstripe, swimming or birthday....they don't care! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"