How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Questions about selling my car.

Hello everyone,

I was not sure where to post this, and I thought this was a better place then the actual "For Sale" area. Please forgive me if it's in the wrong area.

After MANY years it's time for me to sell my 1996 LSi and I need some advise. Specifically, I'm looking for advise on what I should and should not do prior to selling. That being said let me fill you in on the history of my car, and why it's time to sell.

Nearly 6 years ago I took a job in Charlotte, NC but lived in Greenville, SC. At the time I had a 1997 M3 and I didn't want to put 250+ miles per week on it so I sold it and bought another one of the cars I'd always wanted, an SVX. I bought my 1996 Polo Green SVX in from a guy in Atlanta and it had 60,000 miles at the time. The car was great and I drove it daily for 4.5 years and an additional 60K miles until I started having some problems with the car. Since I needed a four door anyways, I parked the SVX and bought my fathers 1998 Volvo. It’s been sitting ever since, waiting for my time to fix it. I have not found that time in 2 years, hence the selling part… I’d rather sell the car to an SVXer that is aware of the issues and has the knowledge to fix them. If I were to sell it locally, I’d feel obligated to get the car straightened out first.

So, here are the details on the car:

The Good:
  • It’s a Polo Green 1996 LSi…
  • Body is in great condition, no rust
  • New front Subaru struts and Subaru Strut mounts (just installed)
  • Fairly new rotors/pads all around
  • AC is ice cold
  • 120K miles (see below)
  • Tranny has no signs of slippage, problems, etc
  • Nice Dual DIN stereo (CD/Tape… I still have the OEM units somewhere…)

The Bad:
  • Oil drips are causing the car to smoke. Dealership states it’s the front cam seals and the left valve cover. The car does not BURN oil, it just drips pretty badly.
  • Left front driveshaft is making noise when turning..
  • Paint on spoiler is shot… It’s flaking off on the edges.
  • Paint on the hood and roof has faint water “rings” that were there when I go it… (I think its acid rain damage)
  • Paint on left rear bumper has been rubbed off.
  • Timing belt is due. The previous owner replaced it, but that was at 60K miles ago. I have the parts, I just have not had the time nor inclination to fix it.
  • Rear headrests are starting to fade.
  • Minor wear on the driver side seat bolster, but no splits anywhere
  • 120K miles (see above)
So, given the listed problems, what does everyone think the car is worth?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 PM

Re: Questions about selling my car.

not much 120 k and making it nice would cost a bundle...

Most of the people here have card already that need things done to them to make them great, but probably not anything like yours needs
Hope this helps,
Keith
Old 06-16-2008, 06:16 AM

Were I in the market I'd be very, very suspicious of the fact that a car with no major mechanical problems reported has been sitting for two years.

Don't know about what it's worth. I paid $1800 for one almost two years ago with 154,000 miles, bad paint and a host of minor ills. That was probably too much, but I love the car and have since put about 10,000 miles on it (and another $1800 into it). Yours ought to be worth as much; a bit more if you replace the half-shaft and timing belt, and fix the worst of the leaks. Good luck.

dcb
Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Positive Side

To me the fact that it is a rust free southern car adds nearly $1000 in value from a similar condition northern car. Condition of front windshield is also critical and other glass is important. The items you mention needing repair are not high dollar items. For example, a rebuilt axle shaft is around $75 from major chain auto parts stores and the leaking issues can be repaired with parts costing less than $100.

The color is not a huge favorite for most SVXi owners or would be owners.

Other than the rear headrests, you don't mention condition of the interior which is also pretty important in determining value.

As long as it starts, runs and sounds good, I wouldn't do anything to it before listing for sale other than a good cleaning and detailing. Unless, of course you would do all your own work.

I disagree with kwren--120K miles is not that many miles for an SVX particularly if well cared for and it does seem that the previous owner did just that. Replacing a timing belt at the recommended service (60k) normally indicates a concerned owner.

New struts and strut mounts are worth much more than what you indicate it needs now.

Just my opinion.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Re: Positive Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
To me the fact that it is a rust free southern car adds nearly $1000 in value from a similar condition northern car. Condition of front windshield is also critical and other glass is important. The items you mention needing repair are not high dollar items. For example, a rebuilt axle shaft is around $75 from major chain auto parts stores and the leaking issues can be repaired with parts costing less than $100.

The color is not a huge favorite for most SVXi owners or would be owners.

Other than the rear headrests, you don't mention condition of the interior which is also pretty important in determining value.

As long as it starts, runs and sounds good, I wouldn't do anything to it before listing for sale other than a good cleaning and detailing. Unless, of course you would do all your own work.

I disagree with kwren--120K miles is not that many miles for an SVX particularly if well cared for and it does seem that the previous owner did just that. Replacing a timing belt at the recommended service (60k) normally indicates a concerned owner.

New struts and strut mounts are worth much more than what you indicate it needs now.

Just my opinion.

Lee
Lee, thanks for the input.

Glass is in great shape, no chips or cracks. Interior is is good shape overall, but needs a good cleaning. I might try to tackle that at some point.

I have all the parts for the timing belt service (all belts, pullys, new water pump, etc), but again, this boils down to not having the time to put into it. If I had to pay someone, I'd be in the hole another $1K for what I think would add $1K to the value. That's not really a winning proposition. Then again, if it makes the car sellable, I might have to do it.

What do you mean when you say "new struts and mounts are worth much more than what you indicate it needs"?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Network Design Administrator

He means you would pay more for the new struts and mounts, than you would to fix whats left to fix.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Were I in the market I'd be very, very suspicious of the fact that a car with no major mechanical problems reported has been sitting for two years.

Don't know about what it's worth. I paid $1800 for one almost two years ago with 154,000 miles, bad paint and a host of minor ills. That was probably too much, but I love the car and have since put about 10,000 miles on it (and another $1800 into it). Yours ought to be worth as much; a bit more if you replace the half-shaft and timing belt, and fix the worst of the leaks. Good luck.

dcb
What do you mean by being suspicious?

As for major mechanical issues, I would say that a smoking car was pretty serious. Maybe not expensive, but I still couldn't use it for work. It bacame an an "out of sight, out of mind" thing.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell View Post
What do you mean by being suspicious?
Told an SVX had been sitting unused for a couple of years, I think most would suspect it had major problems. From what you described, your car does not. I'm just suggesting you probably ought not mention that your car has been out of commission for that long.

dcb
Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Told an SVX had been sitting unused for a couple of years, I think most would suspect it had major problems. From what you described, your car does not. I'm just suggesting you probably ought not mention that your car has been out of commission for that long.

dcb
Gotcha... Yea, I have a LOT of trouble letting things go... I should have fixed and sold her a few years ago, but instead I kept thinking I'd get around to it. Two years worth of sitting has gone by now so I need to thin my herd of cars. I have WAY too many cars that I have sentimental attachment to...
Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
He means you would pay more for the new struts and mounts, than you would to fix whats left to fix.

Yea, no kidding... fortunately (or unfortunately) I already had the struts from two years ago. I actually did OK on those. When I bought them at subaruparts.com they were only $98 each... now they are something like $125 or so... geesh...

It had to be done though, the struts were shot and the mounts were on their last leg. Those were easy to fix though.. These other items are more frightening to me...
Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

From KBB for private party sales:
Excellent
$5,750

Good
$5,245

Fair
$4,580

I'd put it between good and fair condition in it's current shape. I think it would be a solid good if you did the timing belt, half shaft, and seals. 120k is not high mileage. I wish it were a 1995. The timing belt, seals, and halfshaft are easy to do on a no-rust car.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
From KBB for private party sales:
Excellent
$5,750

Good
$5,245

Fair
$4,580

I'd put it between good and fair condition in it's current shape. I think it would be a solid good if you did the timing belt, half shaft, and seals. 120k is not high mileage. I wish it were a 1995. The timing belt, seals, and halfshaft are easy to do on a no-rust car.

I'd be very happy with $4500... I just have not seen them sell for that recently...

Why do you wish it were a 1995? Is it an OBD thing?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell View Post
Why do you wish it were a 1995? Is it an OBD thing?
Yes.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.