Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

quieter fuel injectors!

does any one know of more quiet fuel injectors? or and way to silence these tickers? can i clean out these by hand, if so how? i've used a few types of additive cleaners and always use cheveron 91oct. but still have a sewing machine under the hood. this really drives me crazy, i've gone so far as to put dynamat all under my hood, for the sake of one more svx in this world please help before i drive her into a wall to collect on the insurance $$$ (totaled svx's don't look as cool!)
Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Ticking is usually the lifters - not the injectors.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrudder
does any one know of more quiet fuel injectors? or and way to silence these tickers? can i clean out these by hand, if so how? i've used a few types of additive cleaners and always use cheveron 91oct. but still have a sewing machine under the hood. this really drives me crazy, i've gone so far as to put dynamat all under my hood, for the sake of one more svx in this world please help before i drive her into a wall to collect on the insurance $$$ (totaled svx's don't look as cool!)
Drive it more, run cleaner through them of have 'em sent out and professionally cleaned (recommended by anyone who's done it I've talked to). I have one that ticks like no tomorrow when I fire it up after sitting for a month or two. Valvoline Syncleaner works pretty good on 'em in my experience.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
Ticking is usually the lifters - not the injectors.
The SVX's fuel injectors are much louder than the 90 Legacy's. It was the first thing I noticed when I got it home and ran it. I can confirm that they're the "ticking" noise too, because I used the mechanic's stethoscope on the injectors and sure enough they're what makes that sound...
Old 08-20-2007, 01:21 AM

i used a stethoscope to narrow it down to the injectors too. unless the lifters are under/attached to/super close by, i think it's the injectors. so are the injectors really that hard to clean? it seems like getting them out would be the hard part, which is why i haven't tried to clean them yet, the first one i tried, defeated me. i just didn't want to break one trying to pull it out. can someone please give me a quick over view if they have removed, and/or, cleaned these? thanks.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrudder
i used a stethoscope to narrow it down to the injectors too. unless the lifters are under/attached to/super close by, i think it's the injectors. so are the injectors really that hard to clean? it seems like getting them out would be the hard part, which is why i haven't tried to clean them yet, the first one i tried, defeated me. i just didn't want to break one trying to pull it out. can someone please give me a quick over view if they have removed, and/or, cleaned these? thanks.
Hard to clean, no, hard to get off and back on without issue, yes. Seriously if you're gonna pull them might as well have 'em sent out and done right so they meet actual specs. Everybody who I know who had it done say their mileage increases at least 10 percent. Its like 10-15 an injector. Best bet is to pick up some used ones and send them in.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 AM

try running a thin oil and some MM oil in it.....I have heard tons of noist lifters in these SVXs but never a noisy injector. I had a issue like this and it was a shop putting to thick of oil in it. the right oil fixed it!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 AM

I'm trying to think if I've ever heard a Subaru that at idle DIDN'T sound like a sewing machine. Mine click and tap faintly, contentedly, and this strikes me as perfectly normal.

dcb
Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
I'm trying to think if I've ever heard a Subaru that at idle DIDN'T sound like a sewing machine. Mine click and tap faintly, contentedly, and this strikes me as perfectly normal.

dcb
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 PM

clicking/tapping faintly would be lovely, but the exhaust and normal engine noise being drown out by the sewmaster2000 is not cool. this is the second motor i have had in this car and i know the first was not close to this loud. also my 05LGTlim. doesn't tap and click, just nice and quiet with the occasional whirling of the turbo, i can't complain about that.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 PM

clicking/tapping faintly would be lovely, but the exhaust and normal engine noise being drown out by the sewmaster2000 is not cool. this is the second motor i have had in this car and i know the first was not close to this loud. also my 05LGTlim. doesn't tap and click, just nice and quiet with the occasional whirling of the turbo, i can't complain about that.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Wasn't it Beav who coined the phrase, "The SVX motor sounds like a sewing machine on crack"

On both of the svx's I've been with the injectors seemed louder than the motor at idle. I also have put in a brand new set of injectors that I bought as new old stock and they clicked just as loud. Currently I am running 370cc nissan injectors and, you guessed it, they are louder than the engine at idle.

My solution; louder exhaust
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Locker Link Solution

on a few of my subaru engines I have replaced the o-ring on the oil sump while I had the oil pan off. Helped with ticking quite a bit on two of them.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 PM

I had a sticking lifter... Seafoam, And cleaner better gas. It went away.

I also used lucas magic something...... Worked like a charm

Our cars are *****y princesses' give them cheap booze and they will treat get cranky.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Lifter noise is something that has been around in Subies for as long as they've used H engines. Best thing for it if it is simply a sticky lifter is Risoline or Valve medic (80% risoline). Made specifically for going into the oil without any side effects. Have never heard anything bad about Seafoam but I still don't know exactly what is in it as its privledged info.