Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Exclamation Engine died on the way to work

So I wake up this morning, get in my car, and head to work. about 6 miles down the road, the engine warmed up, heat blowing as it's 56 degrees out, radio going, i'm heading up a slight grade hill. All of a sudden i'm slowing down, though my foot is on the gas. I push in the clutch, and the tachometer drops to 0rpm, so i quickly pull over to the side of the road and put on my 4-way flashers.

Soon as i pull over and make sure i'm clear of traffic, i turn the key. Car starts, then dies again immediately after. I start it, really goosing the gas, and it revs up, and goes long as i have a hefty amount of gas going in, but i let off, and it dies. So i start it again, give it gas, shift to first, and take off, making sure to keep the engine at 2500+rpm.

I come to a stop light, press the clutch, and watch the needle drop to zero rpm. Light turns green, i start it up, and away i go. I head down a hill, coasting, and touch the gas every once in a while to make sure the engine is still running, and it is. I come to a stop, pressing in the clutch, and it returns strait to 500-600rpm, and sits there nicely.

The rest of the drive in is without incident. I get to work, pop the hood, check all fluid levels, and everything is fine. I check the connections to the battery, nothing loose, everything where it's supposed to be. Everything appears as it should.

Now, this is different than the 5mt stall, where cruising at 2500+ rpm, suddenly you press in the clutch and the engine speed drops to fast for the thing to keep giving it gas, and it stalls. This was, with clutch engaged, a full on no more combustion in the engine. What was odd was that with the clutch engaged, it should have fired back up with fuel, as it's virtually the same as bump-starting.

My theories: I have plenty of gas, and of the 94 octane variety, so i know it's not that. Temporarily clogged fuel filter perhaps? Distributor cap going bad? I wouldn't think the tps because, when checked a few weeks ago, it was almost dead on, plus it always finds a happy rpm, never idles over 700rpm when warm, around 1100-1400 when cold.

Any insite on this would be greatly appriciated. If this is to be something serious, i'd rather catch it in earlier stages as opposed to the later stages. Thanks much.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Check for any codes.

My first thought is you'll get a MAF code.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 AM

No codes, no CEL.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Check for any codes.

My first thought is you'll get a MAF code.
My Legacy didn't throw a MAF code when the MAF was shot either. It just started driving like crap.

I second what Hocrest says.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 PM

I'll third the MAF. See the How To documents on how to clean the MAF (its under the Engine section). Cleaning and resoldering helped in my case.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
UUhh, Your SVX has a distributor cap?????

Check the connection on your MAF and also on your idle control valve.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Ok, i'm going home during lunch today to install a MAF on my svx, and pray that it fixes it. I want to go when the traffic is light, because if it dies while i'm rolling, i have momentum to keep with traffic until i can get it started again. if it dies while i'm in traffic, it won't be fun. Plus i want to spend as little time on the road as possible iwth it in it's current condition.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Fixed! 20min home, 20min to get tools out, both MAF's out of the cars, both MAF's installed in oposite car, put tools away, wash up, and 20min back to work. Total time, one hour, now i have to spoil her as she saw some serious abuse when that thing was failing.

What can go wrong with it? I looked inside, it looked nice and tidy, and looked like there really wasn't anything that could fail. Unless i ahve a bad connection somewhere.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:34 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
It's a really small sensor...something could have been messed up on the surface of it or inside the wiring of the sensor...
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi