Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 12-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
question answered thank you.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Wreckless

It seems that you all are assuming the EJ22 and the EG33 have identical chamber volume on the cylinder heads. Is this a given or has this just not been adressed? This would be just as critical in determining compression ratio as the pistons themselves.

I vaguely recall my friend's (SVXtasy) own research on this matter to have discovered that fitting EJ22T pistons into an EG33 was both possible and would have netted a compression ratio of 9.0:1 or thereabouts, citing the cylinder head design differences between the two motors.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless
It seems that you all are assuming the EJ22 and the EG33 have identical chamber volume on the cylinder heads. Is this a given or has this just not been adressed? This would be just as critical in determining compression ratio as the pistons themselves.

I vaguely recall my friend's (SVXtasy) own research on this matter to have discovered that fitting EJ22T pistons into an EG33 was both possible and would have netted a compression ratio of 9.0:1 or thereabouts, citing the cylinder head design differences between the two motors.
No we arn't assuming the two chambers are the same. As I said a few post ago, the 3.3 could have a bigger combustion chamber, as the 3.3 piston has a raised lump on it, and according to Wayne, the 2.2 engines have a resessed cut out in them. May be the valve sizes could be different. Thats why I would like to see some pics of the 2.2 and 2.2 T pistons.

We do know the volume of the cutout in the top of the two pistons,( 2.2=14cc, 2.2T=28cc) and that difference alone will drop the ratio by 1.4:1 at least. If the 3.3 chamber is bigger, than the 2.2s 40cc. then the drop will be more than this.

What were the " cylinder head design differences between the two motors"?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:42 PM

Harvey, et al,

here's one site that addresses combustion chamber volume, etc.

http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/turbo/ejcalcs.html

there are some pics of cylinder heads here (although after a port & polish job.

http://www.xcceleration.com/engine-p...ceengines.html

let me know if this gives you enough info.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Wreckless

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

..What were the " cylinder head design differences between the two motors"?...

Harvey.
I honestly don't know, I'm a Toyota guy and I'm shooting from the hip w/hearsay because a friend I trust (SVXtasy) told me about it following his own research for dropping compression in his turbo'd SVX.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless

I honestly don't know, I'm a Toyota guy and I'm shooting from the hip .
Yes your car collection says that, No need to apoligise, we all make mistakes. May be a real car, like a SVX next time.

Sorry, could not resist.
Untill a 3.3 combustion chamber is cced we woun't have the full story, but I think we are on the right track.

Harvey.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:58 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:

Yes your car collection says that, No need to apoligise, we all make mistakes. May be a real car, like a SVX next time.

Sorry, could not resist.
Untill a 3.3 combustion chamber is cced we woun't have the full story, but I think we are on the right track.

Harvey.
I guess the pistons thing is taking a lot of debate... one question though, ARE THEY THE SAME DIMENSION AS THE LEGACY'S ??
I am asking it straighforward because some say it is not, others say it is !!! I just need a yes or no answer !!
one other thing, what should be done with the fuel mapping, valves timing,etc... in order to fit a turbo?? what is the cheapest way? in conclusion to this debate..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 AM
THAWA

why do you need someone to say yes a hundred times?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by THAWA
why do you need someone to say yes a hundred times?
when you see a thread full of yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no...... one becomes ..... it's not I need a yes hundred times but rather if all agree on something....
thank you Thawa for making me feel very stupid !!!

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:32 AM
THAWA

It's what I do.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by THAWA
It's what I do.
LOOOOOOOOOL !! how much you make out of it by hour??? U're allright buddy ...

Now serious, what about fuel mapping and valves timing...? (in conclusion)

Old 12-27-2004, 05:11 AM
SEA Sleeper

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear
I guess the pistons thing is taking a lot of debate... one question though, ARE THEY THE SAME DIMENSION AS THE LEGACY'S ??
This was attached less than a page ago
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...&postid=272148

Not to try to speak for anyone but I think what THAWA was indirectly trying to say to/ ask you is why you don't read the threads more thoroughly.

Quote:
are you sure??? because I heard it was rather 9.999..... not 9.69. If this is the case, I would bore the chamber to put the 9.96 cm pistons...
This question was also previously answered earlier in this thread. In more than one place..

Really, your enthusiasm is great, but read the WHOLE thread before you start asking so many questions.

Now fuel mapping and valve timing... I suggest you start another thread related to that specific subject.

Only untill we know the geometry and volume of the EJ22 & EG33 heads will we be able to proceed w/ any certainty.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Man!!! i am getting hit by all the guys over here. Well seasleeper, I read the whole thread very carefully, some say the pistons fit, other are saying they do not... some say that SVX has ACTUALLY 9.99cm bore pistons, others are saying they are 9.69cm.... really speaking I am lost... I know I asked the same questions again and again but in each time the guys say, the pistons won't fit for X reason other say they will fit for Y reason... there are many opinions concerning the issue!!!!

Old 12-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Man!!! i am getting hit by all the guys over here. Well seasleeper, I read the whole thread very carefully, some say the pistons fit, other are saying they do not... some say that SVX has ACTUALLY 9.99cm bore pistons, others are saying they are 9.69cm.... really speaking I am lost... I know I asked the same questions again and again but in each time the guys say, the pistons won't fit for X reason other say they will fit for Y reason... there are many opinions concerning the issue!!!!
OK Danny this is the state of play.
The Legacy has the same bore and stroke as the SVX.
The pistons will fit the SVX.
The different 2.2 lt pistons have different cutouts in the top that change the compression ratio. If the Legacy 2.2 Turbo pistons are fitted into the SVX the compression ratio will drop enough to turbo or supercharge it. Exactly how much the ratio will drop is not clear at the moment, but it will be at least 8.6:1, may be more.

Harvey.

Last edited by oab_au; 12-27-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
SUMMARIZING SO FAR BORE AND SLEEVE

Quote:

OK Danny this is the state of play.
The Legacy has the same bore and stroke as the SVX.
The pistons will fit the SVX.
The different 2.2 lt pistons have different cutouts in the top that change the compression ratio. If the Legacy 2.2 Turbo pistons are fitted into the SVX the compression ratio will drop enough to turbo or supercharge it. Exactly how much the ratio will drop is not clear at the moment, but it will be at least 8.6:1, may be more.

Harvey.