Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to mumsis Send a message via Yahoo to mumsis
ok, i know you have all been through this before,

but can you tell me how to get the ac to blow cold air? right now it is blowing nothing but HOT air and when it is over 100 degrees outside i would really like something other than hot air coming into the car. oh yeah and by the way i got that tranny put in finally! so now can someone help me out?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Get it recharged(or do it yourself) repaired? lots of times they leak and if it just quit suddenly check the fuse and the belt.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 07-18-2005, 08:32 PM

hmmm,

i was wondering if maybe i just didn't have the controls set properly? i have no manual and i did a search but came up with nada..
Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Push the auto button and then the down arrow until it reads 65. If it still blows warm air after a few miles then see above post.

Auto turns on AC and blows through dash vents when blowing cold, windshield and foot vents when blowing hot air

Econ uses only heat and fan, no AC - same vent settings as AC

Defrost uses AC but only blows on feet and windows- will not blow out dash vents

Vent just uses blower - no heat or AC but blows through dash vents always

The vent location setting (windshield, foot, dash) are computer controlled based on the temp of the air blowing.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM

thanks Matt,

that is what i had done but so far just hot air. so now i need to check everything else. after waiting over a year to get the tranny bought and installed i was hoping for a miracle that it would just be perfect. yeah right. so now i need to get the ac checked out, the brakes need to be replaced/adjusted or something and the motor is tapping a little bit. ok so it has only been driven from the shop home so far. so maybe it just needs a little tlc, such as an oil change and a general tune up. next on the list...
Old 07-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If the tapping in the motor doesn't clear up soon then use some of the engine oil cleaner at your next oil change. It will clean out the oil passages and should clear up the valve tapping. Worked wonders on both of our svx's. Follow the instructions exactly as they say. I've used gunk brand and another off name brand and both worked very well.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 07-18-2005, 09:08 PM

Matt,

i was wondering if something would help it out, it has been sitting so long and all. i will try that.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
When I replaced the motor in mine with a used one it had been sitting for over 2 years. It tapped pretty bad. I was scared it might be a rod knock it was so loud. One treatment of the engine oil cleaner and it was gone and hasn't come back. Hopefully it will fix yours too.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:15 PM

wow thanks for the input. i am planning on changing the oil in the next day or two, depending on when i can get it squeezed in.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
With the climate control in AUTO check to see if the A/C compresser is turning. If it's not then it's likely the refrigerant has leaked out.

This seems to be common for SVX's that have had their transmissions replaced. I believe that during the tranny swap pressure was put on the A/C lines causing them to leak.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
magickfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
With the climate control in AUTO check to see if the A/C compresser is turning.
How do you check that? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Look at the clutch plate at the center of the AC compressor pulley. It will spin if the compressor is turning.

KuoH
Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 PM

well after driving the svx to work and home today, i have now got a good idea of what else is wrong with it. my diagnosis is not pretty, the motor has developed a growl, a bottle of oil additive seems to have helped it some. the front right tire/assembly seems to be dragging a bit on right hand turns as you are going or exiting a ramp, sounds like it is peeling out. on acceleration there is a lot of tappity taps, maybe a lifter or maybe a cv joint? when i step on the brakes it brakes wonderfully until the very last second before stopping at which time it gives me a little hesitation and bump and grind kind of thing, like the anti locks are giving and catching. the sun roof seems to be full of sand and hesitates on opening and closing a bit. the am radio stations do not work. and the big kicker is that i seem to be losing tranny fluid out the rear seal, yet again......so does anyone want a 92 liquid silver? if i had a gun i might go shoot it. ok if you have any ideas or suggestions i am all ears. i was really looking forward to driving it to dabob, but i am doubtful at this point. i may drive it up and donate it to earl. he keeps saying he wants a liquid silver. hey wait it isn't even paid for yet count down: one and a half years of ownership and i have still not put 50 miles on it. at this rate it will never get to 120,000.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:39 AM

Too bad you're having so much trouble with your SVX, but don't pull the plug just yet. First, change the oil and filter. Have the alignment checked. Look to see if maybe that "growl" from the engine is an exhaust leak, or a belt-driven accessory or pulley with failing bearings. Clean and lubricate the sunroof tracks (but it'll probably keep sticking, anyway). And definitely address that seal leak with the shop that did the transmission work.

Good luck.
dcb
Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You should number the problems so it's easier to respond. The "growl" you hear may just be the brake dust shield rubbing on the rotor.

Your tires probably need to be rotated.

One of your 2 antennas may be unplugged.

I have a new rear tranny seal if you're interested and I'll be at Dabob.

If you do donate it, I'll take it (my gf wants an SVX now)