How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-13-2002, 02:16 PM
SVXtc

letting it out

This car is really starting to tick me off. Everytime I get something fixed one or two more things go out? What is with this car. I really want to trick it out , but I have to keep paying money just so it gets me from piont A to point B. It is way overpriced to work on and most places that do work on it don't ge it right? I'm trying to decide what makes more sense. Paying anywhere from $100-$3000(rebuild) to keep it running or paying around $400 a month for a brand new sports car that has 300 horsepower, sequential sportshift, limited-slip differential, and stock 17" rims(Nissan Z). I don't want to get rid of my SVX but damn, I can't keep doing this. The car is unique, but eventually you have to face reality. This was one if not the first sports cars that Subaru built. With that comes lots of mistakes. I feel the only good about this car is its design, minus the fact the front end has a huge gap between the tire and wheel well compared to the back which really bothers me. I just needed to vent...
Old 01-13-2002, 02:59 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Been there, done that buddy. At the end of the day, you will want to keep it. How many svx are there on the road? To me, when someone ask "What is it that you are driving?" with that look -- you all know the look -- us worth thousands. Perhaps I should not be preaching (looking at my own situation). I am running out of money to keep fixing the SVX but what more can go wrong after everything was rebuilt and fixed?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
We've all been there (I think). At the expense of sounding sexist, the SVX is like a "high maintenance" wife. She likes the diamonds and pearls -- even the expensive underwear (things that people don't see). She simply likes the "finer things" and all the finer things (big and small) are more expensive. Sure, you can buy her a "purse" anywhere, but, she prefers a Coach Leather purse and will take nothing less.

On the other hand, you could dump her and save money on a girlfriend who's satisfied with a sixer and a round of 8-ball and loves to shop at the Goodwill and Wal-Mart.

Yeah, there's a "what am I willing to tolerate" factor, but, that's up to you to decide. Personally, I'm not a wealthy man. I've already spend half as much again on my car as I bought it for. If I were using the amount of money I spent as a barometer as to whether I'd keep the car or not, I'd have ditched it a long time ago. I base my "tolerance" factor on how the car makes me feel, how it performs when it IS operating and how much I stare at it when I'm standing on my front porch. I'm gonna keep her for a long time. But then, that's just me.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-14-2002, 04:08 PM
I look like Gordon

Don't forget, she prefers a nice bottle of Opus One to drink, not that cheap boxed crap Ron's always guzzling down by the Big Gulp cupful.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If I could input a quote,
"I am so fond of this car, I'll do whatever it takes to keep her and to make sure she's "right." Practicality be damned. " - aredubjay"

If you don't have this feeling about the car then you are going to worry alot about the money you are sinking into it. If you are trying to figure out what car makes more "sense" then it is probably not the right car for you at this time and it may be smart to move on.

I washed both svx's and then walked around them in circles with the digital camera taking pictures this weekend.
The neighbors must think I am insane.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Don't forget, she prefers a nice bottle of Opus One to drink, not that cheap boxed crap Ron's always guzzling down by the Big Gulp cupful.
What blig gup you talkin' about, Rufus?
The boxer.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:28 PM
deadeye95

True Love

I'm going to keep my SVX forever, or until my truck payments run out and something cooler comes around.

I've already said that I did not want to see her on Central Ave., with little tires and black lights underneath. Any wreck will total her at replacement cost prices. Don't try running a red light here driving a really wimpy car with a red SVX ready to go at the intersection.

That Z looks really cool, and a new transmission will not cost more than it's trade in value?? What a deal!!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:47 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
If I could input a quote,
"I am so fond of this car, I'll do whatever it takes to keep her and to make sure she's "right." Practicality be damned. " - aredubjay"

If you don't have this feeling about the car then you are going to worry alot about the money you are sinking into it. If you are trying to figure out what car makes more "sense" then it is probably not the right car for you at this time and it may be smart to move on.

I washed both svx's and then walked around them in circles with the digital camera taking pictures this weekend.
The neighbors must think I am insane.
Matt,
You actually read that crap? Just kidding. But, thanks for quoting me. That was some time ago, but, I still feel that way.

BTW, you are insane (I mean, heck, you have TWO SVXes ), but that has nothing to do with having an appreciation for this automobile. I've found that even sane people can get caught up in its beauty.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI