How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-20-2003, 11:56 AM
flynavy

went platinum

just tackled the spark plugs for the first time. the passenger side was easy since the air box is gone and i have a cone intake in it's place. as far as the driver's side goes, it wasn't as bad as some of the posts i've read on here in the past. i think what saved me the most time was the fact that i used an open end box wrench to get the coil off (see attachment). this made it a breeze!!! once the coil was off i still had to jack the car up a bit and go through the access hole to get the plug out. it was not a big deal though. i have read that some have gone through the access hole trying to get the coil screw off using a universal joint socket....seems like it would be frustrating. i did find the universal joint handy in the two front driver's side plugs though.
anyway, i put the boshe platinum +4's in and took it for a spin. now the other thing i've read on here is mixed reviews on these plugs. maybe it's just me or the planets were all aligned this afternoon, but i have to say these plugs made a big difference in the way my car performed. it was as if every time i hit the gas i was rear-ended (knock on wood). i was amazed at the difference. the only reason i can think that others have not experienced the same results is because i do have a ram air intake blasting cold air onto a cone filter. other than that nothing different as far as mods go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrench.jpg (75.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 07-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Superbeast

It seems strange, but every car we get in the shop that someone has put plus 4plugs in, seems to blow a plug out of its hole. I'v seen it 4 times on 4 diffrent cars, maybe people just shouldn't put there own plugs in? Or maybe it is the pulgs? Don't really know but it just seemed strange. As far as the performance gos, it should be just as good as anyother platnum plug.

Hay Flynavy, what part of R.I. are you hiding in?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-20-2003, 01:09 PM
flynavy

wow

interesting about the +4's blowing out. was this just under normal driving conditions? (as far as you know)

i'm in newport......been here for five months and about to move again in a couple of weeks to PA. i was up here in RI for officer indoc school (navy). where is westerly?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Superbeast

I'm pretty sure it was due to improper install but why so many plus 4's I don't know.

Westerly is about 1/2hr. over the bridges as the SVX flies. Not to many of us R.I.ers on here. Only a couple of weeks left huh, have you been over to the old forts in Jamestown? Lots of cool underground bunkers and stuff, popular party spots as long as the patrol dosn't catch you.

Old 07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
flynavy

well i just hope it was improper maint. would hate to have that happen.

i haven't been around alot up here. they keep us busy in school. i was selected to become a pilot so if i screw up in any of the steps of the training process i'm out. it's competitive. took me damn near five years to get here. wish i did have the time though cause it sounds like it would be fun partying over there.

you mentioned a garage. are you a mech yourself? what's the name of the place?
Old 07-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs down Bosch Plus 4's

I used to put +4's in our Justy, I thought that they might help the performance for Autotesting. But on 3 different occasions, the ceramic core came loose from the metal collar. Either the compression would blow the core out leaving the collar in place, or the mixture would just blow out between the core and collar.

I threw them away.

The marketing of +4's seems to imply that because you have 4 cathodes, you will get 4 sparks. But I suspect you just get 1 spark which travels between the anode and whichever of the 4 cathodes offers the path of least resistance.

I'd be happy for someone who understands Ohms law better than I to correct me on this.

Phil.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Superbeast

A pilot, cool your gona get the real speed going on. I work at a garage in CT. called R&R it's about a 45min drive from my house. Hay I'll take you for a drive in my 5speed SVX if you take me for a ride in your jet

B3lha, your right about the plugs spark path.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:39 AM

Arrow Bosch Platinum Plus 4's

Hmm, just 2 months ago , I personally installed the Bosch spark plugs plus 4's. I can feel a differance, even when the car is just idling. The engine sounds more smoother and quiet, like there is no mis-fire. As far as the spark plugs shooting out, I think the spark plugs were not properly installed in the car.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:42 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Bosch Platinum Plus 4's

Quote:
Originally posted by awdsvx
Hmm, just 2 months ago , I personally installed the Bosch spark plugs plus 4's. I can feel a differance, even when the car is just idling. The engine sounds more smoother and quiet, like there is no mis-fire. As far as the spark plugs shooting out, I think the spark plugs were not properly installed in the car.
I've read similar comments from others in different car forums. I've got them in my car, and I have observed the same thing. I'm just kinda wondering though if this isn't just a "new plug" effect that would happen with any new plug. I have also read about problems with these plugs where in high compression motors, the ceramic core cracks, breaks inside the motor, or the platinum electrode melts out. The posts are in the audiworld.com forum. I found these posts after I installed the plugs. :-/ My guess is that Bosch has corrected this problem because the posts I read are all circa 1999.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:45 PM
flynavy

free ride

you got a deal subafreak! of course you'll have to wait about two years until i get done with flight school.

i was enlisted for the past five years working on F-14 tomcats...as an avionics tech (radar, comms, etc) talk about speed though! those babies can do +2mach....that's over 1,400mph!! can't wait to do that myself!!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:40 PM
Superbeast

I got a deal? Hell you got a deal my car dosn't do mach2 but it's faster that your average auto SVX. Let me know when you got a free weekend coming up, we can have a mini meet.