Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I guess that changes things a little bit. I thought you meant a BIKER, not a SPORT BIKE guy.... like, I was inferring you meant the pedaling kind.

- Rob
Old 05-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I guess that changes things a little bit. I thought you meant a BIKER, not a SPORT BIKE guy.... like, I was inferring you meant the pedaling kind.

- Rob
Oh, dear lord. LOL! That would have been awful. No, there are no pedal bikers or pedestrians anywhere up there. There aren't even shoulders for people to walk on.. it's just road and mountain.

This is what the middle of the Dragon looks like:

http://webpages.charter.net/drifter/...Transition.jpg

And this is what I used as my warning pic for the 2002 event, this guy wasn't with our group or anything but it served as a good warning pic for our folks.

http://webpages.charter.net/drifter/...S2000wreck.jpg

Here's a map of the Dragon itself... you begin to see why people drove from as far away as Michigan, Wisconsin, Miami, and upstate NY to come to the event...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/DRAGONmap.gif

Check out www.tailofthedragon.com for more details on the area, it's really pretty awesome.

Last edited by Porter; 05-20-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: OMG Todd

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
thanks todd. i just looked at those photos. i'm very happy that the driver made it out alive. what happened to cause such damage? i would like to know to avoid anything that even can remotely cause something like that.

i try to be a safe driver that's why most of my accidents do not involve a 2nd party. i take note of anything and everything mobile around me. that is by far the worst wreck i've ever seen and would like to know the details of that accident.

The story I got was that the driver fell asleep at the wheel at approx. 60mph and launched off the road, through a drainage ditch and came to rest against a tree. He was so far off the road that he wasn't spotted until 8 hours later! Some of the damage may have occurred when the wreckers removed the car from the field.

The driver sustained a broken collar bone, multiple fractures of his left leg and ankle and a punctured lung.

Todd
Old 05-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: Harry, sorry to hear about your loss

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

Very cute dog
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: huck :D

amen huck. true words of a person who loves to drive/ride. i've been looking for a place like the skyway and the dragon for a long time and i'm happy i found a place like that. a great place to run your car and also a good place just to go crusing at speed limits. it's beautiful out there, temperature is nice and cool, and other than the sound of some engines and nature, nothing at all. no jackhammers, helicopters, sirens, etc.

love that place and that's why i'm not devastated by the wreck. i know that i got another chance to ride on the dragon again. if i died, so be it, my time to go. in my opinion, at the end of our lives we leave this place without any regrets is a good life. fyi - i don't regret much.

when i was dealing with the cops/troopers/sheriff, they knew what was going on. did they care? nope. as long as no one was hurt or died, they don't mind. well unless they get complaints of reckless driving .
Old 05-21-2003, 11:46 AM

re: insurance update

insurance update

apparently the damage to my car is estimated at around $15,000. that's what the adjuster told me. he sent a request for a 3rd party consultant group who determines the value of my vehicle in my zipcode. the insurance company valued my car at $5300. so i think that the 3rd party is going to try to shaft me and drop that price down. i told the insurance that i just spent $7-8k on my vehicle and i have the reciepts to prove it. also told him that he can have a mechanic rip everything apart and find all the newly installed parts in the car. we'll see what they say tomorrow.

all bets in: how much do you think i will get from the insurance?

info: 1992 SVX - 125,000miles, excellent condition

the winner will get bottomless mugs when i see them at the next meet. aww..hell throw in a dinner w/dessert .
Old 05-21-2003, 11:50 AM

um, 4,325 bucks

and if you are still looking for a lotus, there is one for sale in Newton NJ...it is a black one

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
$5300

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-21-2003, 12:07 PM

re: just talked to the insurance guy

just talked to the insurance guy. no final figure yet. he is going to reimburse me on the tranny cooler. but i wonder about the calipers. those were like $400 for all 4 for parts only. also i have new axles put in the front. that was like $350 for parts only :*(
Old 05-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Harry,
You might get a little more for the upgrades, but not for things such as new axles, or new tires, as they're considered general upkeep items, if they were in BAD condition, they'd probably deduct on the grounds that the car wasn't properly maintained.

I hope you get at least $6200 for it....I like Steak...he..he..
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-21-2003, 06:33 PM

re: huck

huck, if i can get $6200.00, i'll buy you a filet or a new york strip! that's what i'm looking for $6200.00. got a call back today. they are going to reimburse my towing charge of $600.00. so that's good. now i have to see what i get for the car . hope it's more than $5k.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Bikes....and other supporters

<Oh, dear lord. LOL! That would have been awful. No, there are no pedal bikers or pedestrians anywhere up there>

I spent much of last evening checking out the Dragon website, and in the calendar it mentions a bicycle club doing the route.

They had best have a vehicle behind them with flags, flashers, horns, sirens.... and have the Goodyear blimp circling overhead or the carnage will be biblical.

It was cool to see a pic of some SVT Foci running the Dragon though!

PS....I was going to guess $6200, but I was slow on the draw.
I'll say $6100....

(I feel like I'm on "The Price Is Right"!!!!)
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 05-21-2003, 08:43 PM

re: hehe bring it

hehe price is right...bring it i buy anyone dinner and drinks who can guess the figure . i'm good for it, but no $400 dollar wine and such. $50 dollar steaks yes, no prob. a few wine's no prob. aww..hell...i'll go ahead and set a limit. a dinner between the range of $100-150 for the right guess .

don't care if it's 1 person for that or 2. so huck can bring the family if he gets it right

and svxphile, whoever is closer to the amount will win so you win if it's $6120. if it's a even split then the pot is split between two parties. might as well make it fun

god, wonder what the insurance people will think if they saw this thread. people making bets on their estimates lol.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
If I win, will you pay the flights too?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-23-2003, 05:27 PM

re: lol andy

lol andy. i'm not rich lol. i wish i were though. then i'd be able to build a brand new svx from scratch .

anyway got back from the insurance. i got $5315.00 from the insurance. they came up with that number in a very scummy way. they initially told me that iNTOTAL would call around town (no more than 60 miles from my residence) and base the figure off the estimates. what i found when i read through their report was that they called one subaru dealership here in atlanta (classic subaru <--worst dealership in atlanta to deal with) and then they called a subaru in columbus, georgia. columbus is 80 miles from atlanta. there are about 5-6 other dealerships that are within 20 miles but they call the only one in the boonies. well that styx dealership offered $5400 for the car. they took that quote and dropped it a few bucks as you can see.

well they did pay me for the tranny cooler that i just put in. after b$%^%ing and complaining they offered to pay for the tax of the vehicle which came out to be $340.00.

All in all I would have gotten around $5664.00. But me being greedy, i wanted to buy back the vehicle. turns out that I can buy the vehicle for 15% of the estimated value. they calculated it and said that i'd have to pay $872.00 for the totalled car. I went ahead and got it back.

they also reimbursed me fully for the tow. which is a good thing. $575.00 for the tow. they also paid my mechanic $15/day for storage fee totalling $90.00.

All in all, it wasn't bad. i had the option of getting a rental which i declined. i also did not go to the hospital so no medical charges incurred.

knowing that, if i were to rate progressive insurance for their claims department, i'd give them a 'B-'. some other companies would not let you buy back your car and/or not reimbursed you for towing (especially not from North Carolina to Georgia).

well i have a car with parts. anyone need stuff?

harry