Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-28-2002, 11:48 PM

OT - Got off easy

Today, I was driving very recklessly as I was late for an appointment. I'm usually somewhat conservative on the road, but I hate being late for things. I tailgated someone who was driving pathetically slow, then whipped into the other lane as traffic was moving faster. Upon the lane change, I didn't signal and squeezed into a small space between two cars, cutting somebody off quite badly. I then looked into my rear view and sure enough... "Oops,” a cop who'd witnessed everything.

I pretty much new I'd had it. He flipped on his lights and pulled me over. I apologized. I then lied and said I didn't realize the car that I cut off was there. The officer was very polite. He asked me for my license and such. I handed him everything, including an expired insurance card. To my amazement, he let me off with both the improper lane change and the tailgating.

As I was looking for the current insurance card, he said, "don't try and find your card. I'll write you a ticket for driving without insurance that you can get dismissed." He wrote me the ticket and explained to me that I could get the ticket dismissed by showing current proof of insurance to the clerk at the local court house. Talk about getting off easy. I wasn't even wearing my seatbelt when stopped. And all I get is the inconvenience of having to find the current card and a small drive.

I think it was the County Sheriffs of Colorado stickers I had on the back right window. On them, they say "Honorary Member." Good thing he didn't realize they were a couple of years old.

I think I'm going to donate to this cause so I can get current stickers. If I can get away with crap like this, why not? It's a lot better than wasting money on a laser detector or jammer or whatever crap they're selling now. Most of that stuff is seldom sufficiently affective anyway. By donating money instead of blowing it on this crap, I'm actually doing something good and getting benefits of police leniency out of it as well. I'd recommend that aggressive drivers such as me do the same.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Your post conflicts with itself. You say that you normally drive conservatively, but you also describe yourself as an aggressive driver.

Besides that, you also assume that the sheriff's association sticker you have in your window is the reason you got off so lightly. Based upon this assumption, you cast aside any other possible explanations or even other solutions you haven't tried.

This one experience isn't enough to prove that having this sticker will get you out of tickets.

No offense meant.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

I had a TSTA (Texas State Troopers Association) sticker on my back window and the only discernible effect was a big smile from the trooper as he wrote my ticket.

Texas also has several competing peace officer associations - I always wondered if having the wrong one made a difference when you got stopped, but never had the opportunity to find out.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-29-2002, 03:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I know a number of people with those stickers as well as the F.O.P. badges and they swear they work. I also know some cops who say the same. They might not work with all officers but they will usually help.

I've never had them (stickers or badges) but from personal experience, being forthright and honest with the police has gotten me out of many a ticket when I was younger.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:25 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
pulled over

I was riding with my Granny years ago, when she was pulled over for going a bit over the limit. As the officer wrote her a ticket, she kept waving a "Courtesy Card" at him....

....I kept telling her it wasn't a "Get out of jail free" card! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 10-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Hater

i was driving with my Mom (who should have been a WRC driver!), she was speeding a bit, and she got pulled over. she proceeded to cry her eyes out when the cop approached the window. she was blubbering and sobbing uncontrollably. the cop let her off with a warning. i said "Mom, its alright, don't worry....", trying to comfort her. she wiped her eyes, smiled and said "it was just to get out of the ticket." she had me fooled! i guess this only works for women, and male cops.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-29-2002, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i was driving with my Mom (who should have been a WRC driver!), she was speeding a bit, and she got pulled over. she proceeded to cry her eyes out when the cop approached the window. she was blubbering and sobbing uncontrollably. the cop let her off with a warning. i said "Mom, its alright, don't worry....", trying to comfort her. she wiped her eyes, smiled and said "it was just to get out of the ticket." she had me fooled! i guess this only works for women, and male cops.
It sure as hell doesn't work for men and female cops. Trust me on this one.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-29-2002, 05:05 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

It sure as hell doesn't work for men and female cops. Trust me on this one.
it does for me. tell them how hot they look in the uniform.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-29-2002, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

it does for me. tell them how hot they look in the uniform.
Do you tell them that before, after, or during the blubbering and sobbing?
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-29-2002, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Your post conflicts with itself. You say that you normally drive conservatively, but you also describe yourself as an aggressive driver.

Besides that, you also assume that the sheriff's association sticker you have in your window is the reason you got off so lightly. Based upon this assumption, you cast aside any other possible explanations or even other solutions you haven't tried.

This one experience isn't enough to prove that having this sticker will get you out of tickets.

No offense meant.
Conservative to me is aggressive to everyone else.

My politeness and what I said could have played a role, but the officer was standing right next to the back side window. He had to have noticed the stickers.

I should have mentioned this, but the last owner of my car put the stickers on and I havn't taken them off since. He told me a story about speeding in excess of 100 on the highway, being pulled over, and let off with a warning. This only reinforces my hypothesis.

No offense taken Nick.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 10-29-2002 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:58 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
When I had my Camaro, I had the FOP and V.P badges at the back. They seem to help (even as I raced an undercover cop). Now, I have a P/V plates in IL. P/V plate help the police organizations throughout IL. So far, no tickets yet since I got them. Different warning and parking tickets though.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:43 PM

well over the many times i have been pulled over....what works good for me is A if i know a cop in the area, drop his name B let him see my Dept Fire Chief badge ( my grandfather's ) C bat my little eyes... D give him my PBA card E give him my retired and disabled police of America card F give him good reason and some really good excuses G and if all else fails...bawl my eyes out

countless attacks by the police (no offense, only kidding) and still ticket free

KNOCK ON WOOD KNOCK ON WOOD!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:20 PM

When I was a teenager, I was caught having someone buy liquor for me while I waited in the car. An unmarked police car pulled up right behind me. I tried balling my eyes out. Worked like a charm. I felt pretty stupid doing it though.