Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I tried to touch up my paint in relatively high winds.

BAD IDEA.

Dried out the brush and it didn't lay on smoothly.

:/

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I tried to touch up my paint in relatively high winds.

BAD IDEA.

Dried out the brush and it didn't lay on smoothly.

:/
Will it handbuff out? I'm assuming just small touchups here.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Will it handbuff out? I'm assuming just small touchups here.
It's just paint, and fairly soft. I generally go over the whole car with a little OEM paint vial and fill in the little rock chips that I get from the highway and some kid in a Mercedez peeling out in front of me.
Basically I just want to keep it from rusting. not too worried about looks, because moving and from a distance it looks great. One day I'll get a paint job and none of that will matter.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil
Spring?! Why'd it snow today
Maybe because you're in ALASKA? LOL

Bet you get more use out of the AWD though.

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
So, my next thought is wet sanding the clearcoat completely off and replacing with a sprayed on clearcoat. I would start on the sunroof since I can replace that if it all goes south. Anyway, anybody have experience with wet sanding outside of doing the headlight lenses?
I tried an experiment of sorts along the lines of what you described on my passenger side quarter-garnish. Looks better than it did, but I'm not at all confident about trying this on a large area. First, I was fearful of sanding through the base coat, so I didn't get off enough of the old clearcoat, and what was left is again turning white. Also, I tried carefully building-up very light coats of clearcoat (with a spray can) and ended-up with a "dry-spray" finish that's not as shiny as the surrounding area. I've tried bringing-out a gloss with polishing compound, but can't tell much difference. Maybe with an electric buffer...?

All that said: I'm not well-versed in auto finishing and am pretty clumsy with a spray can. If you're accomplished in these areas, maybe you should start small and give it a try. Good luck.

dcb
Old 05-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
Another clearcoat question...kinda. My clearcoat is absolutely gone on many of my plastic body panels (sunroof, rear quarter garnish, top of rear bumper). No amount of waxing or polishing can hide it for more than a day or two. As a matter of fact, they usually worsen the situation. So, my next thought is wet sanding the clearcoat completely off and replacing with a sprayed on clearcoat. I would start on the sunroof since I can replace that if it all goes south. Anyway, anybody have experience with wet sanding outside of doing the headlight lenses? Is that too aggressive of an approach? Any other ideas for me? Here's my sunroof:

The white spots are where the clearcoat is flaking off. Those have all grown to about 2x their size, and there is now exposed black paint.

Mat

Well, I went ahead and took the sunroof off and wet-sanded it. That didn't help anything. I could still see the lines around the white areas. So, since I had it off and sanded, I figured it was worth trying to paint. Did the black on day 1, wet sanded the black and applied claer coat on day 2, polished on day 2, saw some flaws still, re-wet sanded today and polished and Meguiar's 3-stepped it. Now it's looking good. My application technique was a bit off, so there is some "tiger striping" that shows what direction I painted in, but the gloss and lack of orange peel is FANTASTIC! I couldn't be happier with this as a temporary fix. Now i just gotta figure out if I want to get factory match spray paint and go at it again.

92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me