Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-18-2005, 08:56 PM

SVX accident - Insurance experts?

So, some guy in a pickup decided it would be fun to rear-end me at 40+ mph while I was stopped waiting to make a turn... The rest is history (see attached)...

It's getting towed tomorrow for an estimate, and I think the insurance co is going to want to total it. I'm looking for opinions on whether it's worth it to buy it salvage.. what could I expect to pay?

Also, I may be looking for a replacement SVX so the question is: Who has one for sale in PA/NJ/NY for a reasonable price?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05598.JPG (882.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05601.JPG (868.5 KB, 144 views)
Old 04-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

You may get lucky considering that its one sided But otherwise I say the car I totaled and you should keep it to sell to one of us if you dont get it repaired yourself
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 04-18-2005, 11:10 PM
UniqueAngle

Hmm ... a 40+ mph hit is a tough call. If the car is an early model, I probably wouldn't bother having it fixed. A '96 or '97, perhaps, depending on milage & actual damages. Keep in mind, there's a good chance that sort of impact may have twisted the frame and done more damage then you actually see there.

Also, if you're interested in replacing with a different one ... I've got a '96 teal LSi that's approaching 112k. I'm asking $8500 (Kelly Blue Book lists it at $8,125 - $10,100). Can send you a pic & more details if you like (email me off the board at badkittybiker@hotmail.com). Though I'm in NH, I will be going thru your area 2x in the upcoming weeks, as I'm travelling for work (with the SVX). Which, is the reason I'm looking to sell, since it's not a very appropriate car for work this year.

~Brenda
Old 04-19-2005, 11:22 AM

You should be able to buff that out.

Seriously

Sorry about your SVX
Old 04-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
i think its done for... i'm guessing you have a 92 right? that damage is way to extensive for a cost effective repair. IMO

the only way it would be worth buying back is if you had the time and knowledge to be able to effectively part it out. figure out how much it would be to buy back. i'd say if its under 1500 to buy back, i think you could make that by parting it out. if your tranny is in good shape, thats about 1000$ right there. plus interior parts, engine, ecu, etc... plus you're in like the SVX capitol of the nation, so i'm sure you could get some locals to help you part it out.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
i think its done for... i'm guessing you have a 92 right? that damage is way to extensive for a cost effective repair. IMO

the only way it would be worth buying back is if you had the time and knowledge to be able to effectively part it out. figure out how much it would be to buy back. i'd say if its under 1500 to buy back, i think you could make that by parting it out. if your tranny is in good shape, thats about 1000$ right there. plus interior parts, engine, ecu, etc... plus you're in like the SVX capitol of the nation, so i'm sure you could get some locals to help you part it out.
Correct it's a 92... I don't mind doing the work to part it out. At the very least I want to get my new PWR radiator and new tires off it... thats $1000 alone to me! The car is in good shape mechanically... transmission has been taken care of... we shall see
Old 04-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I think Dr. Outback (works at LCM) still has his 92 forsale. There is also one in the lancaster paper right now (www.lancasteronline.org) that is a one female owner (not sure what that means as that's all it says). I think that one was $3k but not sure. There are others out there but my memory isn't that good. Make sure if you don't get the car back that you get a decent settlement from the insurance. It goes by true market value of one in good shape (assuming your's was up to date on the maintance and you can show receipts you should get at least a grand more than one you don't. NEVER ACCEPT THE FIRST INSURANCE OFFER!!!! That is unless it is way more than you expected! Tell them if that is the case to go find you one in your condition at their cost and then you'll take that one.