How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-05-2002, 08:54 AM
ironsvx

Wink giving a 16 year-old the keys to an svx

Of course, it is a nervous time when we turn over the keys to any vehicle to our fledglings but they must try their wings sometime. We must trust them not to be idiots (although it does scare me when I look back on my own youth growing up in western Virginia when I had sudden attacks of idiocy) I teach and coach at the high school where my son attends and so I am able to keep a close look on both his behavior and his reputation We only live 2 miles from the school right now (although I am looking to leave; I am now the recently fired football coach) and so the driving to and fro will not be much. I will probably drive it when it is in the driveway when I need to go out
Old 01-05-2002, 09:17 AM
svxeno

Re: giving a 16 year-old the keys to an svx

Quote:
Originally posted by ironsvx
Of course, it is a nervous time when we turn over the keys to any vehicle to our fledglings but they must try their wings sometime. We must trust them not to be idiots (although it does scare me when I look back on my own youth growing up in western Virginia when I had sudden attacks of idiocy) I teach and coach at the high school where my son attends and so I am able to keep a close look on both his behavior and his reputation We only live 2 miles from the school right now (although I am looking to leave; I am now the recently fired football coach) and so the driving to and fro will not be much. I will probably drive it when it is in the driveway when I need to go out

IMHO, an SVX is an awful lot of car to hand to a 16 year old. While driving the car I have to keep an eye on the speedo or I'll lose track of how fast I am really going. At 38 years old I have a number of years and miles under my belt (steel belt?, seat belt?) and I still have attacks of idiocy when I'm in this car. Especially sitting next to a "youngin" in a lowered Integra or the like. But I finally overcome it. Will your 16 year old be able to overcome it? On the Y@ho0 SVX site there was a poster discussing how his 16 year old just totalled the SVX. Eeeek!

Randy (At least the car is safe) ii
Old 01-05-2002, 01:57 PM
sith

My thinking is that a 16 year old is going to do Really Stupid Car Stuff in any auto. You know, like driving it across town with the oil light on (heh... err... woops.) ...

Having been a 16 year old not all that long ago, I think most (not all, but most) of the borderline dangerous situations I got into with my Legacy were more due to inexperience than sheer stupidity, and as svxeno says, the SVX is a safe car. Most of the "oh crap oh crap oh crap!" times I recall were from not knowing how to drive in the winter in wisconsin ... slamming on the brakes and spinning around and such.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2002, 02:51 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I am often pleased, but not surprised at the wisdom offered by the members of this board -- young and old. I sit in the seat of svxeno right now (both in name and experience -- though I have almost ten years on him). I sat in the seat of sith. Fits of stupidity and inexperience are inherent in our natures. Yes, we must give them their wings and hope (pray, even) for the best. I've had sixteen year olds -- they've seen ditches. One even rolled a car, but, it cannot serve to indict ALL sixteen year olds. It's all a crap shoot. We have to enjoy the good and be prepared for (but not paralyzed by) the bad. I have a sixteen year old driving the family van right now (it's nerve wracking -- she's my "baby girl" and was nearly killed in a car accident when she was seven), and I have a thirteen year old son who will be driving soon. I have the experiences of my stepsons (Now 32, 33 and 36) to compare to as well as my own, as these two progress. It is scary. But, all we can do is give them the "tools" to know how to behave in all situations -- it will be their call when it comes time to use those tools.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-05-2002, 03:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The way I always looked at it was this: it's too late to put oil in the engine after it blows up. You know what kind of job you did raising them, that's how you should gauge what to give them to drive.

Beav
Old 01-05-2002, 04:39 PM
svxeno

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aredubjay
I sit in the seat of svxeno right now...

You can get off my lap now... you're going to start rumors again.

Randy ii
Old 01-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Hold that thought...

<You know what kind of job you did raising them, that's how you should gauge what to give them to drive>

Yep! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 01-05-2002, 07:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by svxeno
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I sit in the seat of svxeno right now...

You can get off my lap now... you're going to start rumors again.

Randy ii
Haven't you learned by now that these guys don't need a reason to start a rumor. I'm staying put.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-05-2002, 07:57 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Haven't you learned by now that these guys don't need a reason to start a rumor. I'm staying put.

My legs are falling asleep...

Randy (Tingly leg) ii
Old 01-06-2002, 12:40 AM
SVXDriver

If you guys think that letting a 16 year old driving and SVX is nerve wrecking, then let me tell you something that is worse. I was at the shop one day and my mechanic told me that some 16 year old kid got a BRAND NEW WRX and was getting the clutch replaced at 2800 miles, didn't even reach the first oil change. I mean come on, even if you don't know how to drive a stick, the clutch shouldn't be going out at 2800 miles.

I think that when you give your teenager the right to have access to a car such as the SVX, that you need to put trust in them. If you feel unsecure, then talk to them about it. Have them take some responsibility if something ever happens to the car.

I no have experience as a parent because I am only 20 years old. I have a WRX, Legacy GT Wagon, and just got 97 Black SVX. I have earned these cars myself. I started saving every little penny I had to do all this. I would have to say that I am able to accomplish all this because my parents trusted me and I took responsibility for my own stuff and they agreed.

G

PS This is my experience from when I got my liscense.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:55 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXDriver
If you guys think that letting a 16 year old driving and SVX is nerve wrecking, then let me tell you something that is worse. I was at the shop one day and my mechanic told me that some 16 year old kid got a BRAND NEW WRX and was getting the clutch replaced at 2800 miles, didn't even reach the first oil change. I mean come on, even if you don't know how to drive a stick, the clutch shouldn't be going out at 2800 miles.

I think that when you give your teenager the right to have access to a car such as the SVX, that you need to put trust in them. If you feel unsecure, then talk to them about it. Have them take some responsibility if something ever happens to the car.

I no have experience as a parent because I am only 20 years old. I have a WRX, Legacy GT Wagon, and just got 97 Black SVX. I have earned these cars myself. I started saving every little penny I had to do all this. I would have to say that I am able to accomplish all this because my parents trusted me and I took responsibility for my own stuff and they agreed.

G

Good words there "G." Yes, teaching responsibility is the key. The trouble is, in most cases, it's an uphill battle, when society tries to teach us the opposite. I am impressed by and do respect your willingness to earn your own way. I applaud your parents and you for your values.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-06-2002, 07:20 AM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXDriver

G

G,

These are statements beyond your years. Well done!!

Randy (Wish'n I was that smart at 20) ii
Old 01-06-2002, 07:23 AM
svxeno

Come to think of it, I wish I was that smart now at 38yo!!!

Randy (Smarter than the average pear) ii