How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-19-2001, 01:19 PM
SVX95

Cool First time SVX owner

I just bought a 95 SVX, Pearl Black, 119k. I heard about the common SVX problems, any suggestions about the best brand of tranny cooler to use?????
Old 12-19-2001, 03:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: First time SVX owner

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX95
I just bought a 95 SVX, Pearl Black, 119k. I heard about the common SVX problems, any suggestions about the best brand of tranny cooler to use?????
First, welcome to the Network, and congratulations on your new SVX!

As for the 'best' transmission cooler, that'll probably be hotly debated. The B&H 15,000GVW cooler seems to be popular, though. I have one, but it's still in the box.

Lastly, do you mean you have a pearl white and black '95? I was under the impression that pearlies were only produced in '92 and '94. Check your mfg. date in your driver's side door frame.

Anyway, may you enjoy many happy years in your SVX!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-19-2001, 04:43 PM
calmone

i e-mailed a site recommended on svx.com (or something like that) which sells svx parts. i asked for the price of the cooler. they wrote back that they only carry "the best" coolers and it cost $200.00. they added that one can get one for well under $100.00 at any local transmission shop, that their cooler was app. 7 1/2 inches by 14 inches. i have to wonder if there is any real difference between coolers of the same size, most appear to be 3/4 inches thick. one that size can be had for about $60.00.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:43 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by calmone
i e-mailed a site recommended on svx.com (or something like that) which sells svx parts. i asked for the price of the cooler. they wrote back that they only carry "the best" coolers and it cost $200.00. they added that one can get one for well under $100.00 at any local transmission shop, that their cooler was app. 7 1/2 inches by 14 inches. i have to wonder if there is any real difference between coolers of the same size, most appear to be 3/4 inches thick. one that size can be had for about $60.00.
I paid $49.95 + tax at Pep Boys for a trans cooler that size. It's a Hayden #404 . Will only fit between the radiator and a/c condenser however. A couple 3/8 brass T's for about $12-13
and time to scrape the knucks and save some bucks

Last edited by dart; 12-19-2001 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:45 AM
Lowered SVX

i believe that.....

B&M and Permacool probably make the best. You can go to any performance parts place a by a tranny cooler. mine is rated at 19,000 and it mounted right in front of the radiator which is the most ideal location if you want all the benefits of the cooler. I think I paid around $60 for mine.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-20-2001, 08:54 AM

Registered SVX
Re: i believe that.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
B&M and Permacool probably make the best. You can go to any performance parts place a by a tranny cooler. mine is rated at 19,000 and it mounted right in front of the radiator which is the most ideal location if you want all the benefits of the cooler. I think I paid around $60 for mine.
Thaaaaat's the one I got - the 19,000GVW cooler. Haven't seen it in awhile - I think it's in the basement still in its box.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-20-2001, 08:57 AM
Lowered SVX

damn pockets.

put the cooler in......
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-20-2001, 10:38 AM

Registered SVX
Re: damn pockets.

Quote:
put the cooler in......
So far, my maintenance of the car has been of the 'don't touch what isn't broken' type. Yes, I do plenty of preventitive stuff. But the transmission I've largely left alone. I've heard enough stories of people flushing their transmissions, putting in a cooler and filling it all with synthetic ATF, only to have the whole thing die a week later.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-20-2001, 12:13 PM
dart

Re: Re: damn pockets.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

So far, my maintenance of the car has been of the 'don't touch what isn't broken' type. Yes, I do plenty of preventitive stuff. But the transmission I've largely left alone. I've heard enough stories of people flushing their transmissions, putting in a cooler and filling it all with synthetic ATF, only to have the whole thing die a week later.
I'm all for not fixing what isn't broken. However, I went ahead and installed my trans cooler and filter and had it flushed and filled with DEX III. The car shifts the same as it did before (smoothly) and its been 3 weeks since it was flushed. (fingers crossed). When I first checked out the car the trans fluid didn't appear that bad looking at the dipstick and dripping a few drops on a paper towel. But what was flushed out made me glad I went ahead with it. Plus I cleaned out all the road debris collected in front of the radiator whilst installing the cooler. Car seems happier
Old 12-20-2001, 12:15 PM
Lowered SVX

i feel like dart does.

just do it and your car will be happier. if you dont do it you know the tranny will fail. like you said this is just preventive maintenance. but you know your car best so do what feels most comfortable.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-20-2001, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX
Re: i feel like dart does.

Quote:
just do it and your car will be happier. if you dont do it you know the tranny will fail. like you said this is just preventive maintenance. but you know your car best so do what feels most comfortable.
I don't know my car best - the people who built it do. I know some things about its behavior and obvious, overt symptoms. But there is likely a world of things going on that I don't know about.

That's okay. I'm learning.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-20-2001, 12:57 PM
Lowered SVX

ahhh, but you know more than you think.

glorious subaru underestimated the heat producing capabilities of the auto tranny (4EAT). they also did not anticipate the filter getting clogged resulting in premature failure. you, the educated consumer, can fix their oversight by simply installing your aftermarket tranny cooler.
"Too much fun to drive!"