IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
CVT Transmissions, Your Opinions?

We rented a Nissan Murano with a CVT transmission for a 350 mile trip, unfortunately to a family funeral. I was quite impressed with the performance. I know the CVT can't handle high horsepower but, what are your impressions? Reviews haven't been very kind.
The Murano was quite capable, good gas mileage, comfortable yet, firm seats, bad rear quarter blind spots.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 05-02-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: CVT Transmissions, Your Opinions?

From Honda, a functional description:
The CVT is comprised of a torque converter that drives two variable-width pulleys connected by a steel belt. With its angled inner faces, the belt can circle the angled pulley faces at varying diameter depending on the pulley width, which alters the effective ratio between the pulleys. Since there are no steps in the pulley faces, the range of possible gear ratios is essentially infinite. This ultra-fine control of the gear ratio is the key to the CVT's greater efficiency over a conventional automatic transmission with a limited number of discrete gear ratios. Instead of approximating the correct ratio for the conditions like a conventional automatic does, the Accord CVT can precisely select the optimum ratio from moment to moment without steps or slippage. "

The CVT can produce even better gas mileage than a manual transmission, assuming it is setup right. Not very sporting driving experience in most examples.
Some have a mode that the CVT can mimic a normal automatic transmission, but the exceptional fuel economy is lost. I personally think the CVTs are the way of the future...
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

I had a Maxima as a rental car a couple of years ago. 3.5L V6, CVT. It had plenty of horsepower. I really liked the transmission, in general, in that kind of car.

I consider cars like the Maxima to be ground-covering conveyances, not necessarily driven as much for pleasure as to simply get there and back again. Taken in that light the CVT Maxima was very nice. Push the gas and the revs go to ~3500 and sit there as the car accelerates. It's weird but in a cool way. The manual override was a bit too vague for my tastes but didn't really detract a lot from my enjoyment of the car.

I'd definitely consider a CVT in a car like the Murano or Maxima. In my STi there had better be a clutch pedal!
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 AM

Consumer Reports tends to give Subaru products high marks, but they don't seem to think much of Subaru's CVT. Does Subaru even offer a conventional automatic anymore?

It probably won't be long until old-school manual transmissions are available only in a few models, as an added-cost option.

dcb
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

I'm ok with the CVT in my XV. I think it makes a low on HP engine seem faster and it really is very smooth. Now if this was a performance car no way but in daily grind driving this this is great. Towed a small trailer the other night with it too and it was wonderful.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Push the gas and the revs go to ~3500 and sit there as the car accelerates. It's weird but in a cool way.

This is referred to as the "rubber band effect" in regards to CVT(s) Not all do this. I have been driving a 2013 Accord with the CVT, for the most part it is un noticeable.

Gas mileage has been impressive, for a car this size. 29.5mpg average on my 52 mile daily commute, with 19 traffic lights and some steep hills. My SVX(s) average 20-21 mpg over the same commute.
Our 92 with the 4.44 averages 20 mpg using the odometer, but the speedometer is off ~6-8% high.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The Altima I rented last month turned in some great fuel economy; I don't know how much of it was the CVT (the automatic on all 2013 Altimas). Fuel economy is one thing, but it sounded all sorts of sick and ugly, most notably on onramps.

As an indifferent commuter (if I was one), I'd be happy at the pumps. As a driving enthusiast (which I am), the thing makes me want to push it off a cliff.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:53 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
[I] Does Subaru even offer a conventional automatic anymore?
dcb
Yes they do. They are available with:
5-speed Electronic Direct Control Automatic Transmission with Manual Mode (5EAT)
Paddle shift controls
Straight shifter with shift position indicator on instrument panel
Lock-up torque converter
Transmission shift lock
Blipping control

From the Subaru Canada site.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Our 2010 Outback, with CVT, is approaching 175,000 miles. It has preformed flawlessly during that time, giving smooth power and fantastic gas mileage,.

Once you get used to how the CVT operated, it becomes second nature. In Auto mode, it just spools up (much like a dimmer) and achieves its speed without the usual "shifts." If you mash the accelerator too quickly. the engine revs quickly at first and then the CVT catches up to it.

In manual mode, it will stay in any particular gear (there are 6) until you manually upshift with the paddled or console shifter. Same with downshifting.

Also in auto mode, if you are in D, anytime you can press the + or - shifter and it will temporarily shift into the corresponding gear and stay there as long as the accelerator is depressed. Once you release the accelerator, it goes back to D. I have been descending steep hills in Drive and used the - paddle shifter to slow me down, through engine braking.

As I said, totally problem-free so far. There is no place for you to add ATF and it is a sealed unit. Gas mileage has been fantastic. My average for my commute, highway and urban combined is a consistent 31.5-32 mpg, with the highest ever on our last trip ip South Carolina at over 36mpg. I assume that is because there is no lag and loss of power between shifts, as in a normal AT.

This was the very first CVT offered by Subaru and I am sure improvements have been made. The best of both world in this kind of car.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I didnt realize the CVT was a sealed unit. With all the other/older sealed transmissions I've dealt with (VW mostly) I wonder how they will hold up.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

So if you floor a car with a CVT trans, would engine RPMs not reach redline?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM

As I recall, the Subaru Justy was one of the first cars to use a CVT, way back when. Reliability issues due to quality-control problems having to do with castings doomed it, and the experience seems to have scared Subaru away from the concept.

Someone told me awhile back that her mom's car had a sealed automatic transmission and I insisted, no way...

dcb
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
So if you floor a car with a CVT trans, would engine RPMs not reach redline?
I would imagine there is some rev-limiting function. When I have done this, I think my revs were around 5,000 before the CVT catches up.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-03-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:44 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

CVT's in cars are kinda iffy. I'd say they're a decent replacement for slushboxes, but they're best suited for ATV's and snowmobiles IMHO.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
I didnt realize the CVT was a sealed unit. With all the other/older sealed transmissions I've dealt with (VW mostly) I wonder how they will hold up.
according to my owners manual there is a place to put fluid in and take it out. It needs to be on a computer to do this (dealer) and there is a service interval if used under "severe duty".

I was told the fluid is wicked expensive too!

Oh and I have seen some regular automatics that are "sealed units" no thanks.