Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Overheating, First thing to do... try the HG Test.....

Edit: Go to the last page for latest

---------------------------------------------------
hg-test.wmv - 5.68 MB. This is 2 videos I made while doing my HG test... Combined into one file.

My test drive to get her warm was a mere 1.9 miles (my "test drive" route)
First leg is a 4 lane with Turning lane, 40mph speed limit, but at 3am at night, I go alittle faster. Second leg is Residential, 30 - 35mph. One big circle

by the time I was less then a few blocks from the house, my temp was reading dead center.

Once I got home, I took a towel and removed the Rad Cap. I am glad I got a towel and not just a small rag

Anyway, I tried filling it up with water, but I had the water pressure from the hose too high, and it just made it go everywhere (which is why at one point in the video, you hear the belt squeak)

After that, I lowered the pressure on my water hose to a trickle, refilled, and did the first test video.

then, turn the car off, refilled (which didn't take much) and did the 2nd test video.

Tell me what you think.... I feel its the HG, but maybe I am wrong? (that would be nice)

Also... if it is the HG... I will be doing it myself. However, It will be the first time I've done any major work to an engine. I will plan to set aside 2 full days (which is all I can get in a row) to do this.

is there a good how-to out there? Do I have to pull the engine out or can I do this with the engine in?

Just point me into the right direction... as I wont let something as small as a Gasket let Calista go down!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)

Last edited by nsm484; 02-04-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Overheating, First thing to do... try the HG Test.....

From the video, i have no idea if it's the HG's. When you rev the engine, the waterpump spins faster and will cause an open radiator to spurt.

Does it overheat? Do you need to add coolant? What other sympoms are there??

If you're going to do the HG, pull the engine. It can come out in under 2 hours.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

For safety, you should NEVER open the radiator cap when it is hot!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Before you do anything crazy, go rent or buy a block tester kit. It consists of a hollow tube with a coned rubber plug you stick on top of your radiator cap hole, fill with this blue fluid, and run the engine watching for a change in the fluid color. If it turns yellow, bam, its a HG. Makes diagnosis way easier.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Before you do anything crazy, go rent or buy a block tester kit. It consists of a hollow tube with a coned rubber plug you stick on top of your radiator cap hole, fill with this blue fluid, and run the engine watching for a change in the fluid color. If it turns yellow, bam, its a HG. Makes diagnosis way easier.
These do not work well on our engines. Ask YT why but if I recall its mainly from how our HG leak.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
From the video, i have no idea if it's the HG's. When you rev the engine, the waterpump spins faster and will cause an open radiator to spurt.

Does it overheat? Do you need to add coolant? What other sympoms are there??

If you're going to do the HG, pull the engine. It can come out in under 2 hours.
Its starting to get hot even comming to work (3/4 or higher on a 15 min drive) however the other day when I was geting my running done.... She was steady on the hot line... Then on the last 3 miles heading home she was in the red.... Then once I stoped at the house she droped back to the hot line before the red.... And I had alot of bubbling in the overflow tank.

Calista is my current daily driver.. So if you need any more info I will provide it when I get home (on break typing from my iPhone)

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
Old 07-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484 View Post
Its starting to get hot even comming to work (3/4 or higher on a 15 min drive) however the other day when I was geting my running done.... She was steady on the hot line... Then on the last 3 miles heading home she was in the red.... Then once I stoped at the house she droped back to the hot line before the red.... And I had alot of bubbling in the overflow tank.

Calista is my current daily driver.. So if you need any more info I will provide it when I get home (on break typing from my iPhone)
I don't want to be the one to tell you the bad news ; ;...

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I don't want to be the one to tell you the bad news ; ;...
So I will. Your headgaskets are leaking and you need to replace them

Tom
Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
So I will. Your headgaskets are leaking and you need to replace them

Tom
Couldnt a bad thermostat cause the same symptoms?? Id at least have him try that since its cheap and easy before sending him to the executioners block yanking his engine....... When mine overheated from the bad WP, I went into the red and was boiling into my reservoir as well, but my HG are fine, zero issues after i did my plugs.

I mean, unless you WANT to yank your entire engine to reseal it or something.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Couldnt a bad thermostat cause the same symptoms?? Id at least have him try that since its cheap and easy before sending him to the executioners block yanking his engine....... When mine overheated from the bad WP, I went into the red and was boiling into my reservoir as well, but my HG are fine, zero issues after i did my plugs.

I mean, unless you WANT to yank your entire engine to reseal it or something.
A bad thermostat or water pump will over heat all the time. Once he stops driving and lets it run it cools down... THis is indicative of an air bubble in the coolaning system. Air bubbles are caused by hydrocarbons entering the cooling system by seeping through the headgaskets that are broken down and mushy at this age.

I am not there to diagnose it but from what he has said thus far, the headgaskets need to be replaced

TOm
Old 07-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX

Quote:
A bad thermostat or water pump will over heat all the time. Once he stops driving and lets it run it cools down... THis is indicative of an air bubble in the coolaning system. Air bubbles are caused by hydrocarbons entering the cooling system by seeping through the headgaskets that are broken down and mushy at this age.

I am not there to diagnose it but from what he has said thus far, the headgaskets need to be replaced

TOm
What am I looking to spend on parts? Also while I am there what else should I go ahead and do? Also.... For a first timer... Any good how-to's on pulling the engine and replacing the gaskets?

Also... Timeframe on getting the parts?
Next thurs/fri is my next 2 days off together (or wait another 2 weeks)

I just hope since this will be my first time this deep in an engine... That I won't screw her up... On the other side... It will be great learning for me

Last edited by nsm484; 07-03-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Maniac modifier

TIming belt, water pump, Thermostat, thermostat gasket, engine seal kit, timing belt idlers. Looking at around $500+ in parts. There is no how-to, kinda just need to know how to do it honestly. Just gonna need the torque sequences and specs you can find in your basic Chilton/Haynes manual

Tom
Old 07-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484 View Post
Next thurs/fri is my next 2 days off together (or wait another 2 weeks)

I just hope since this will be my first time this deep in an engine... That I won't screw her up... On the other side... It will be great learning for me
If this is your only transportation and you need her for work, and this is your first time.... I would STRONGLY recommend renting a car for work, 2 days for head gaskets is almost un-doable if you want to do it right. You have to take your time, be thorough, and its a good idea to get the heads machined when you take them off (which could add a day or two to your time). If youre rushed to slap it back together then the likelihood of overlooking something is almost 1 to 1. Just my 2c

Old 07-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX

Quote:
TIming belt, water pump, Thermostat, thermostat gasket, engine seal kit, timing belt idlers. Looking at around $500+ in parts. There is no how-to, kinda just need to know how to do it honestly. Just gonna need the torque sequences and specs you can find in your basic Chilton/Haynes manual

Tom
ok.... Ouch. Being on a very tight budget isn't good for this.

I know the argument of "you will just have to the the engine out again" etc. But what would be the bare min. That I need?

I might as well take SoCal's advice and rent a car... But to even get that I will have to go with a u-haul or sim. That I can get cheap.

Here soon I will be able to aford more as a new job might be in my future... But until then.... I can't aford much

Old 07-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Bare bones minimum.... lots of labor and a head gasket set. Of course you would definitely want to do valve cover gaskets too since it would be cake while the engine was out.

Im a firm believer in doing the easy stuff first though...... at least buy a new thermostat gasket for 3 bucks and see what your thermostat looks like. Have you seen any evidence of coolant in your oil or vice versa??

The block tester kit works on ALL cars that overheat as a result of HG leak..... or it wouldnt affect your cooling system at all (there would be no compression into cooling system or coolant leaking into cylinders, either way there would be exhaust gasses in the cooling system which the block tester would pick up).

I strongly suggest with limited funds that you eliminate the easy stuff first, you have nothing to lose by checking..... and wait until you are sure its a HG before opening that can of worms.