How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2009, 02:53 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 5 more 'original' buttons now then originally.

I might be able to help here with a bit of the confusion about JDM buttons, I have a JDM S4 ('95).

I just ducked out to the garage and took these (excuse the filth ).........

Air-con and stereo controls

The shifter

Lower right switch panel

Steering wheel

Top left switch block

This switch is there because the doors lock automatically over about 10Km/H and stay locked when you stop. It's a pain in the ass, the drivers internal door handle over-rides the lock but the passenger one does not, so using this switch you can let passengers in (and out).

Cheers
Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb View Post
holy awesome batman

still needs the steering wheel sensor and the ecu and wiring but hey this is one big step in the right direction for a USDM 4WS
The sensor is part of the column. IIRC I don't think it can be removed, you would need the column.

The front steering rack is different too. Not sure whether it would fit in an LHD car. Maybe it could be mounted upside down?

Probably with a complete donor car and enough time you could make it work. It might actually be cheaper and easier to try and find a way to import a JDM car into the USA.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-01-2009, 04:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

perhaps the differences in the front rack are unimportant? (keep in mind I know full well my ignorance in the field, so its ok to just say 'absolutely not james' and not even bother with an explaination

ECU and steering column... possibly all I need? (and a wiring schematic no doubt)
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 AM

I hope one of the SVX tech heads pipes up here...If I can get one of them to say they think they can do it w/ the above mentioned parts... I might just have to buy this beautiful part....
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 AM

Sorry for all the replies in a row... to clear things up SVXdc, you are incorrect. there is no button underneith the blank spot. all the wiring is missing. it would be difficult to make it 'feel' right, and would only be a hack solution in my mind...You can find numerous posts about this. alycone has pics of the missing internals if you do a search.

b3hla: with the excitement of the 4ws clouding me, I forgot to thank you!

Very clear pictures of the JDM options, and a button I've never heard of (though my column is full b/c of the squirter button), Certainly going in my records.

James
Old 04-01-2009, 04:21 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
perhaps the differences in the front rack are unimportant? (keep in mind I know full well my ignorance in the field, so its ok to just say 'absolutely not james' and not even bother with an explaination

ECU and steering column... possibly all I need? (and a wiring schematic no doubt)
Absolutely not James.

The 4WS front rack is a higher ratio. The 4WS ECU would probably calculate the front steering angle from the sensor on the rack multiplied by the ratio of the rack. Then it would calculate the rear steering angle based on the front steering angle. If you use the wrong rack then the ECU will at best throw a code and at worst, steer you into a ditch.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 AM

I do not need the assistance of my car to steer me into a ditch thank you.

So we are talking.... front rack (which is only RHD I am presuming), rear, ECU, and column..... (is that all?)

Certainly hitting the 'possible but very unlikely' stage.

the correct front rack WAS only for RHD yes?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
I do not need the assistance of my car to steer me into a ditch thank you.

So we are talking.... front rack (which is only RHD I am presuming), rear, ECU, and column..... (is that all?)

Certainly hitting the 'possible but very unlikely' stage.

the correct front rack WAS only for RHD yes?
Correct as far as I know. You'd need a JDM service manual to know for sure.

I have a page from the JDM wiring diagram that shows a wire from the 4WS ECU to pin 103 of the TCU. I don't know what that TCU pin does or whether the USDM TCU has the same function.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
there is no button underneith the blank spot. all the wiring is missing. it would be difficult to make it 'feel' right, and would only be a hack solution in my mind...You can find numerous posts about this. alycone has pics of the missing internals if you do a search. ...
The internals for the Security button are there [ADDED: in USDM cars, at least], but apparently not the headlight squirter / central locking release. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
I have a page from the JDM wiring diagram that shows a wire from the 4WS ECU to pin 103 of the TCU. I don't know what that TCU pin does or whether the USDM TCU has the same function.
That's so it can rev the engine to drive you into the ditch faster

ADDED: Here's alycone's thread where he dissected the JDM blank/Cruise/Fog module:
Dash Button internals (cruse/fogs)

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-01-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry for all the replies in a row... to clear things up SVXdc, you are incorrect. there is no button underneith the blank spot. all the wiring is missing. it would be difficult to make it 'feel' right, and would only be a hack solution in my mind...You can find numerous posts about this. alycone has pics of the missing internals if you do a search.

b3hla: with the excitement of the 4ws clouding me, I forgot to thank you!

Very clear pictures of the JDM options, and a button I've never heard of (though my column is full b/c of the squirter button), Certainly going in my records.

James
even tho it may not be pre-wired, the button "mechanism" is there. all you'd need to do is solder in some wires in the apropriate places... and then run them to wherever you'd need to run them
huge PIA, sure. but at least the button is there... lol
Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Absolutely not James.

The 4WS front rack is a higher ratio. The 4WS ECU would probably calculate the front steering angle from the sensor on the rack multiplied by the ratio of the rack. Then it would calculate the rear steering angle based on the front steering angle. If you use the wrong rack then the ECU will at best throw a code and at worst, steer you into a ditch.

front steering rack:? its RHD but perhaps you could just turn it around? probably not that easy....

also from that japanese auction site... same seller as the rear subframe

and matching rear sway bar

now just the ecu, the sterring column and a PITA wiring diagram....

but for around $1000 plus shipping for all these parts.... im sure the rest of the parts could be sourced eventually... pretty sweet if someone were to go for it....

too bad there arent any LHD 4ws models....

Last edited by intellibomb; 04-01-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:06 PM

one would need the rear sway bar?

Come on SVX techs... read this stupid thread and tell us if you think the rack is reversible..

James

Course, if I got all this stuff, to find that it WASN'T... it might be worthwhile just to sell my svx, and import a JDM from Canada
Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
I might be able to help here with a bit of the confusion about JDM buttons, I have a JDM S4 ('95).
Air-con and stereo controls

Thanks for posting those pictures!

What are the model numbers (Pxxx) on the fronts of the radio and the CD changer controller?

Is the CD changer controller the same size as the radio (full depth)? Since it doesn't have a CD mechanism in it, I'd think it could be much shallower.

And what's the red light (button?) next to the shifter?

ADDED: Oh, and you missed one of the button modules (blank/cruise/fog). For completeness, can you add that to your post?

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

What about taking the JDM rack and a US rack and the possibility of combining parts to make it still work in a LHD configuration?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM

ooo. good idea. never thought of that. STUPID SVX TECHS COME AND ANSWER OUR IGNORANT QUESTIONS!!!!!