Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Methanol... Take 2

Well, it looks like I am picking up a Coolingmist Methanol set up tomorrow for the silver car. So tomorrow will be spent putting the 9psi pulley on, ordering the softer bypass spring from Whipple, and possibly starting the installation of this meth kit. This set-up uses a motorized pump and does not run off of engine vacuum/ boost like the last set up I tried.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Methanol... Take 2

Good luck, Bobby!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

Could you give me a little info please, lol. Im a noob, but Ive been folliwing this a little bit. Isnt Meth more expensive than premium fuel, and it burns faster? So wouldnt that mean less mpg, and more money put into the tank?

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 09-04-2008, 07:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

You do not run strictly meth but it is added to your air/fuel mixture to cool the intake charge. Cooler intake charge = bookoo more power for the stage 3 users

Thanks, Bill...

I checked for vacuum leaks tonight by spraying starter fluid around the various seams and nothing happened, so I am taking that to mean that everything is tight and sealed. With methanol, a softer bypass spring, and 9psi I should be in pretty good shape and dyno ## will def follow......
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Here it is... Picking it up tomorrow

Read about it here..
http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=1008
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysvxrocks View Post
Could you give me a little info please, lol. Im a noob, but Ive been folliwing this a little bit. Isnt Meth more expensive than premium fuel, and it burns faster? So wouldnt that mean less mpg, and more money put into the tank?
Look at what I have done to my car and ask me again if I care about ho much $$ goes in the tank ... This is NOT a daily driver. It is a weekend/ errand joy ride mixed with auto-xing fun.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Interesting stuff...

Now how long does a load of methanol last? Will it last a day? Is it possible to turn it on/off on the fly? Is it easily bought at like Advance Auto Parts?

-Sov13t.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
Interesting stuff...

Now how long does a load of methanol last? Will it last a day? Is it possible to turn it on/off on the fly? Is it easily bought at like Advance Auto Parts?

-Sov13t.
The reservoir will last a good night at the track. That does depend though on the amount you are injecting obviously. The kit comes with software that allows me to run different injection maps. I can program when I want it to kick in via the inputs from the MAF and the engine RPM signal wire to the ECU. It will be a test and tune procedure to see when and how much I want to inject. Methanol can be bought from coolingmist, but windshield washer fluid is 50/50 meth and water. That is what I will be injecting.......
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-05-2008, 06:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Well, it looks like I am picking up a Coolingmist Methanol set up tomorrow for the silver car. So tomorrow will be spent putting the 9psi pulley on, ordering the softer bypass spring from Whipple, and possibly starting the installation of this meth kit. This set-up uses a motorized pump and does not run off of engine vacuum/ boost like the last set up I tried.
im not sure why you are running a meth kit on such low boost, but im sure you have your reason for it,

i was running a aquamist system on the wrx with a boost load over 20psi would kick on,

the only down side is that i should have got a progressive system instead of a simple on and off

if i was running methanol i would run 110 or c16

after the dyno run we found out the turbo was more hapier at a little lower boost levels instead of 24-25 psi we ran it down to around 19-20 psi and was able to run pump gas only
Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsvx View Post
im not sure why you are running a meth kit on such low boost, but im sure you have your reason for it,

i was running a aquamist system on the wrx with a boost load over 20psi would kick on,

the only down side is that i should have got a progressive system instead of a simple on and off

if i was running methanol i would run 110 or c16

after the dyno run we found out the turbo was more hapier at a little lower boost levels instead of 24-25 psi we ran it down to around 19-20 psi and was able to run pump gas only
Because you have an intercooler and I am not running an intercooler.... That simple.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-05-2008, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX

9 psi why would even need a intercooler on such low boost, but im sure it will probably help in some degree

every little thing helps.

im curous to see the track times,
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
9 psi why would even need a intercooler on such low boost, but im sure it will probably help in some degree

You do not understand the set up I am running as 9psi equals very hot intake temps. If it works well I may stick with the 12psi set up
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:

Its a VERY hot 9psi... Stock motor comes close to det on 9psi on the stock engine. The meth will help cool the charge enough to keep it away without using race fuel

Tom
Old 09-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Bobby

The best of luck with your kit man. I hope it flies!!

I am totally interested in what you are doing. It runs very close to the set-up I have on my supercharged car. At the moment mine runs standard compression and about 4.5 to 5 lbs boost. The plan is for 9 or 10 lbs, maybe go to 12, but no more.

My next upgrade is to get an injection system. I will be using one from a California company. Similar price to yours, no tank either.

I have a couple of observations, so bear with me if you have already factored and adjusted for these. Your info will help me.

1: Your software is set to switch on fluid injection with a 2V MAP signal. This presumably is because the kit is for Prezzers that use Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors, where our SVX uses the Mass Air Flow method. Have you checked if the 2 volt point for the MAF is around the same engine load as the 2 volt position using a MAP? Or do you think it is not relevant? Or maybe have you changed over to using a MAP sensor?

2: You mention that windscreen washer fluid is 50/50 methanol and water, and you plan to use this. Just a small observation, but I think if the windscreen fluid uses even a tiny amount of detergent, then the resulting mix will not vaporize under injection pressure into the required small droplets in your manifold. This in turn will affect the quality of your cooling. It might in fact send in a dribble of froth into your engine and perform very little cooling at all.
For your testing stage at least, with the cost of equipment involved, you should take no chance and buy pure methanol and pure deionised water, and mix your own 50/50. Droplet size is extremely important for effective cooling.
[Or initially go with 100% deionized water if you prefer and cost is a factor]

Just my 2c. You are doing a great job, so you probably have sussed these already. I'll be watching with great interest.

Thanks

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-05-2008, 04:52 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

You really want to go through with this again. I really hope you did your research this time. Last time you missed out on delicious food in Boston cause you were getting lik 5MPG and flooding your engine. I agree with the previous post. Just run pure ingrediants for testing. Your washer fluid can't be good for the engine. Oh and when do you want to help me jank that damn 4.11 out with the engine so you can take it home and I can have more money to buy parts with? BTW Get your computer fixxed.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis