How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I was going to say I liked your first design best, or just stick with the "old" network cards.

But after seeing that Sti one, I think something like that is a great idea! Postcard size is bigger, and with a full color picture taking up the whole card it would definitely draw attention to it. I've had the small business cards left on my wipers before advertising various things and not even realized it until I was driving and saw it flapping because with the wipers in the down position you can't see them all that well from outside the car.

I also like the big bold letters complimenting the owner's car. If I walked out and saw the message "Nice SVX!" I'd subconsciously be that much more interested in what it had to say.

Not to "borrow" too much from the Sti one, but I really like the layout with the big colorful picture and minimal information. And of course the place for the member to put their name is a cool touch too.

Only problem I see with postcards is to do them right they definitely need to be professionally made. To get the crisp photo printing and the sorta "laminated" paper stock postcards are usually made of (for stiffness and semi-weatherproofness). If we could get in on some kind of freebie deal like that local group did, this would be awesome! Otherwise, it would have to be an expense to be worked out somehow and might be best to stick with what we've done.

Although, for $150 you get 5,000 DOUBLE sided cards, so if we did want to get wordy we'd have the whole extra side to do whatever we want with.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 09-11-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
I think 5000 cards would be a little overkill considering there's only probably a few thousand SVX's left in the US.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
We (CNYSubies) didn't need 5,000 either, but at the "5,000 free" price, it was hard to turn down.

I don't know if they have a lower price, lower quantity deals, but that's something worth considering.

Another thing, naturally, is that if 200 of us take an even share of the cards, that's only 25 each. Odds are good that you won't see 25 different SVXi soon, unless you cheat and drive past Earl's house, or go to Reading at the right time, but considering the number that get lost, stuck on our own walls, damaged, handed off to a friend for his friend, put in other Subarus in the event that, say, when you're out in the wife's Forester (ah, my Subaru gal) and you spot an SVX you can tag it up, double-tagged (unless you're gonna write down license plates!) and so on, 25 per can run thin quick.

Sure, 5,000 would cover over a third of the Stateside SVXi, and roughly 20% of the world's production run, but it's really not that much of a stretch when considered like that, yeh?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
I like it. And I think LetitSnow is right in regards to the number... there are quite a few of us on the network to share them across all of us.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 09-11-2007, 04:13 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
We (CNYSubies) didn't need 5,000 either, but at the "5,000 free" price, it was hard to turn down.

I don't know if they have a lower price, lower quantity deals, but that's something worth considering.

Another thing, naturally, is that if 200 of us take an even share of the cards, that's only 25 each. Odds are good that you won't see 25 different SVXi soon, unless you cheat and drive past Earl's house, or go to Reading at the right time, but considering the number that get lost, stuck on our own walls, damaged, handed off to a friend for his friend, put in other Subarus in the event that, say, when you're out in the wife's Forester (ah, my Subaru gal) and you spot an SVX you can tag it up, double-tagged (unless you're gonna write down license plates!) and so on, 25 per can run thin quick.

Sure, 5,000 would cover over a third of the Stateside SVXi, and roughly 20% of the world's production run, but it's really not that much of a stretch when considered like that, yeh?

After reading that it does make sense to have that many....I'm in if they get made
Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Yeah when split out among members here, 5,000 goes quick.

The quantity of "25" actually might be a good number to sell them in "sets" of.

Order 5,000 and that's 200 sets.

At the "5,000 cards for $150" figure, that breaks down the cost to only 75 cents per set! Of course shipping to whoever is holding them (what was that, $31?) and postage to send them out to members. So even at $2.00 for a set of 25 cards, everything is covered and the Network could make a little bit of profit on each set.

And 25 isn't that much as has been illustrated. And for $2... even $3 I bet most of the active members here would be interested in grabbing 25, even if just to keep for themselves as part of their memorbilia collection.

Of course we could always try to get another "free advertising" deal and then we could give the things away free to members, or make pure profit selling them for the Network. But IMO, having both sides of the card for ourselves for the minimal costs would be more "professional".

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 09-12-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Sounds good, now we just need to get a few designs nominated to pick from. Is there a size they should be designed for?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM

Registered SVX
Using these cards, 4"x6".
Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I see Mr. Hoffman (designer of the Network logo and graphics master extraordinaire) tried to post a picture but couldn't upload the image.

Knowing him, it's probably something good.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrmtn92svx View Post
Lwin made a bunch of SVX Network cards.
I have a copy of the cards Lwin made. I printed him a bunch on weatherproof card stock. On that note, whatever is printed needs to be WATERPROOF! There is nothing more of a turn off for a potential new member than to have an ink smear down the side of their car if it rains before they see the card.

http://ww2.think-it-group.com/files/SVX_Card.doc

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
4x6 cards are great to keep in the glove box or console of all of your cars, but what about when you are away from your car? I was in a foreign country a few months back and saw a beautiful SVX parked there. I waited around to see if the owner came out, but I had to catch a bus. I always carry some business card sized network cards that I printed up myself and left one of those. If I had only 4x6 cards, I wouldn't have had any on me and therefore wouldn't have been able to leave anything.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Yeah I agree with what Doug said about waterproof, especially since I live in the Northwest!

Are these postcards waterproof? From the picture I could tell they were at the very least glossy and probably more durable than regular printed paper, but Doug brings up a good point about smearing ink.

I thought about the size issue too.

There's advantages to both sizes:

Business card size you can always have a couple in your wallet and be ready under any circumstance.

4x6 is more noticible on our low wipers and provides room for a bigger, more interesting image on the front, more detail on the back.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Registered SVX
Testing the card in the utility sink... details to come!

For all: I'm not pushing the cards, although I do like them. I'm only presenting them as an option.

EDIT:

20 minutes under running water, and I can't smear it with my thumb...
Next: submerged test

Last edited by LetItSnow; 09-12-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:34 PM
OOC for a while

Mohrds, I like those cards you have in the link.

Anyway, I'd be in for some if I had to pay $5, that way some $$$ can go to the network.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Okay, couldn't sleep again last night!! I know the pics aren't great, but more along these lines? (just took the pics off Google) Off to work now...got to pay for that car...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX pic cards2.jpg (195.5 KB, 148 views)
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt