Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Looking for ideas for daughters playhouse interior walls

Now that the garage and deck are done, I'm taking advantage of Bush's acceptance that he lost the war in Iraq as he's no longer buying up all the wood for rebuilding it allowing prices to return to mid 90s levels, I'm working on a playhouse for the little one. It is anything but a glorified backyard shed. It has a mahagony tongue and groove floor, pine barn siding, electric, heat and ac, etc... I haven't come up with a durable interior wall that is also not overly pricey. Doesn't need to be exterior grade as it will be weather protected to 2006 IBC house standards. The entire exterior will be stained giving a rustic look. Windows are a brown cladded aluminum
Old 07-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Now that the garage and deck are done, I'm taking advantage of Bush's acceptance that he lost the war in Iraq as he's no longer buying up all the wood for rebuilding it allowing prices to return to mid 90s levels.
Dumb statement. As I recall nearly ALL the construction in Iraq is stone, concrete and mortar. Not to much wood. Think you need to review the REAL reasons for wood prices and not play the usual "blame Bush card". Hint--maybe a few major disasters here in the US where wood is a primary building material.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I don't care for bush, but that's not the point.

When the war on iraq was going on, the prices of virtually all raw materials did increase, as the economy was in a state of distress. I was pricing an addition for the garage, which included 24'x26' concrete slab, 4'x8' sheets of plywood, 2"x4"s, 2"x6"s, and 2"x8". I've been contemplating cost for about 6 months now, and have been steadily checking the prices at my local hardware store. I have noticed that the prices have been steadily decreasing over hte past 2-3 months or so, so i've decided to wait until they taper off. The odd part, concrete hasn't really changed since i had a slab poured a year ago, however lumber has. It was in a wide state of flux for quite some time, but now is on steady decrease. Coincidentally, it's been directly corisponding with the state of the economy which has been effected by the war on iraq.

[/hijack]
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Hater

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Dumb statement. As I recall nearly ALL the construction in Iraq is stone, concrete and mortar. Not to much wood. Think you need to review the REAL reasons for wood prices and not play the usual "blame Bush card". Hint--maybe a few major disasters here in the US where wood is a primary building material.

Lee

Oh so now Lee is an expert on wood compared to someone who works in the business DAILY! You're wrong about construction there but that's not unusal. What do you think all the barracks, chow houses, window coverings etc was/is made of. It ain't concrete my friend. Wood prices (which had already been high due to the housing building boom skyrocketed when victory was declared). No major natural disasters just then. Sure it went up a bit after katrina but when you're talkin $14.99 for a sheet of 7/16 inch OSB rising to $17.99 a sheet that isn't much of an increase compared to the war jump of $5.49 to $14.99. Again, you don't have your facts straight, I'm just happy they are down. If you don't have any educated comments then why did you bother posting? Research prevents such ignorance from coming out of your fingers!

Jay, actually prices are now rising a bit again. NOW IS THE TIME! Don't use plywood as OSB is stronger and cheaper for your sheathing. With the protection codes require for modern houses it will last just as long as well unlike the rep. it got in the 70s for being weak and water damage prone. Do you have a carter lumber close by? I know the one out of Lancaster delivers most of their business to NJ. Price wise they were great. Quality wise of the studs is average but better then you'll get at a box store. As for the state of the economy. We've actually taken more building permits this year then in the past 5 in my township so the market hasn't really hit here yet quite so hard.

As for concrete Jay, biggest reason for it being so high is transportation costs as well as a slightly higher demand. Concrete isn't shipped from here to Iraq on large scales. It is sourced locally throughout the world whenever possible.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Nah, i have always used a place called fanaro bro's, but they got bought by agway. same stock though, which is cool, just better prices because of group purchasing, and the guys that work there have worked there for like 50+ years.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
as to the original question...if the house is going to be to "code", why not use MDF painted with the "kid friendly" paint that she can draw on?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
as to the original question...if the house is going to be to "code", why not use MDF painted with the "kid friendly" paint that she can draw on?
-Bill
+1 Some cute little wall patterns wouldn't hurt as well...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
+1 Some cute little wall patterns wouldn't hurt as well...

Ah but what I need is what to make the walls out of drywall is a pain and not real durable if she decides to park her shifter cart inside for the winter (I couldn't come up with a nice, non shed looking design with a seperate garage) T-111 was too shed like and unfinished for the outside IMO, paneling is pricy and doesn't look real nice with cathedral ceiling anyways, a co-worker suggested a restaurant/industrial grade plastic paneling that you glue to fiberboard or plywood similar to a kitchen counter top.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
Nah, i have always used a place called fanaro bro's, but they got bought by agway. same stock though, which is cool, just better prices because of group purchasing, and the guys that work there have worked there for like 50+ years.

Then what are you waiting for. Prices are at early to mid 90s levels. They won't go much lower ever and are slowly climbing up as fuel costs rise. BUILD THAT GARAGE!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Ah but what I need is what to make the walls out of drywall is a pain and not real durable if she decides to park her shifter cart inside for the winter (I couldn't come up with a nice, non shed looking design with a seperate garage) T-111 was too shed like and unfinished for the outside IMO, paneling is pricy and doesn't look real nice with cathedral ceiling anyways, a co-worker suggested a restaurant/industrial grade plastic paneling that you glue to fiberboard or plywood similar to a kitchen counter top.

Nice idea (you'd just have to worry about the adhesive drying out eventually)....you could also go to that place up by OT's house and see if you can get some sheets of surplus stainless steel and use that -- definitely easy clean up!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Really??

Quote:
Oh so now Lee is an expert on wood compared to someone who works in the business DAILY! You're wrong about construction there but that's not unusal. What do you think all the barracks, chow houses, window coverings etc was/is made of. It ain't concrete my friend. Wood prices (which had already been high due to the housing building boom skyrocketed when victory was declared). No major natural disasters just then. Sure it went up a bit after katrina but when you're talkin $14.99 for a sheet of 7/16 inch OSB rising to $17.99 a sheet that isn't much of an increase compared to the war jump of $5.49 to $14.99. Again, you don't have your facts straight, I'm just happy they are down. If you don't have any educated comments then why did you bother posting? Research prevents such ignorance from coming out of your fingers!
Can't believe I missed this really cheap shot. Actually I think maybe you need to take some of your own advice. Any idiot can research and see that the REAL factor that impacts directly on local market lumber is the number of houses being constructed. For the most part domestic lumber prices track with the number of housing starts. Any idiot can spend 5 minutes in research and figure that one out. The Iraq War and BUSH had absolutely nothing to do with the lumber market.

Housing starts--2000 1.57M
2001 1.60M
2002 1.70M
2003 1.85M
2004 1.96M
2005 2.07M
2006 1.80M

AND--on a pace for only 1.49M this year. (Wonder why lumber prices are down)

NOW--Track the lumber prices and see if there just might be a correlation.

You might also find that lumber had peak prices 93, 94 & 99 that were almost as high as they ever reached under the Bush administration. Do intelligent people blame that on Clinton?? Most don't. Some of that was not related to housing starts but to market agreements between Canada and the US.

Get real--you need to listen to your own advice.

Oh--am I a lumber expert--probably not but I am associated with 2 fairly good sized sawmill operations and 2 timber management contracts that encompass over 80,000 acres. So, I have been introduced to a few of the market factors.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
So, Ben, what did you decide to go with for the interior walls?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-04-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
So, Ben, what did you decide to go with for the interior walls?
-Bill
I think I'll hang some village idiots skins on it. Lee is just way too much! He needs to join reality again one of these days.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/28/news...mber/index.htm

Then again, it isn't Fox news so it must not be true.

Last edited by benebob; 08-04-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Speaking Of....

Quote:
I think I'll hang some village idiots skins on it. Lee is just way too much! He needs to join reality again one of these days.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/28/news...mber/index.htm

Then again, it isn't Fox news so it must not be true.
Speaking of idiots--seems some don't even understand English. In the link I see words like, "could", "might", etc. Seems to be a speculative article to me with no basis for fact. Some "smaller suppliers have been contacted" about building supplies?????? Nothing shows the "cause and effect" that my wall hide donating friend seems to think exists. I still stand by my statements about prices tracking building starts. Tons of proof that is the cause---like I said any idiot can figure that out by just a few minutes of research--maybe I should have said "most idiots".

Oh by the way--even if significant lumber for Iraq was bought it would mostly have been from suppliers in Africa and Asia to save on shipping costs. Again, considering the small amount versus millions of housing start demands there would be little, if any, impact on domestic prices. Questions--how much plywood do we buy from China? (answer might surprise you) Where does most of our domestic lumber come from?

Admit it--you just bashed Bush again because of your political beliefs for something he had nothing to do with.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE