Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2002, 07:31 AM
Garrison

Roof Rack

I don't know if any of you guys have ever been into recreating with your beautiful SVX, but I would like to be able to take a bike or pair os skis along with me. Yakima and Thule don't make racks for the SVX (as far as I could find out via REI), but I'd heard of others finding racks. Does anyone know where I could find a general use rack for my 92 LS-L?

Thanks
Garrison
Old 02-25-2002, 07:47 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Roof Rack

Quote:
Originally posted by Garrison
I don't know if any of you guys have ever been into recreating with your beautiful SVX, but I would like to be able to take a bike or pair os skis along with me. Yakima and Thule don't make racks for the SVX (as far as I could find out via REI), but I'd heard of others finding racks. Does anyone know where I could find a general use rack for my 92 LS-L?

Thanks
Garrison
Someone that lives here in pittsburgh has a rack on their SVX that uses Thule attachments at least. I'll look into it and get back to you.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2002, 08:13 AM
I look like Gordon

Those racks work with a tower, and then a clip that is car-specific. Any one clip may fit a wide variety of different cars. Chances are that there is a clip available that is a perfect fit for the SVX, it would just take someone with the patience to go through and test them out.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:34 PM
siegeliv

racks

i just went through the same search. yak and thule will not work. Rola makes a compatible setup, but it can be a real bugger to get here in the states. yak and thule though make trunk mount systems for bikes that will work even with the spoiler. as far as skis, you might end up SOL. yakima made a magnetic rack for snow boards during the 90's that works great, but nothing for skis.

siegeliv
Old 02-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Rola

Rola Roof Rack is an Australian company. They have one US importer (based in the LA area). They can be reached at 562-776-8664. They are a small operation and only deliver COD, so it can be a pain to order from them. I have the ski attachments and have just ordered the bike rack attachments. I love the Rola Roof rack. I went through the roof rack search about 8 months ago and Rola was the only one custom fit to the SVX. The only other one I found was from Barrecrafters (www.barrecrafters.com), but it is one that fits many different vehicles and looks terrible.

Here's the Rola website:
http://www.rola.com.au/

Here's some pics I took of my car with the roof rack on:
http://community.webshots.com/album/22919010cqsEHBiPhv

Cheers,
Matt
Old 02-25-2002, 09:37 PM
deadeye95

Ski cartage

Just fold down the rear seat and slide those skis in. Carried my 210 cross country skis for years. Not much room on the armrest though.......
Old 02-25-2002, 10:48 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Re: Ski cartage

Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
Just fold down the rear seat and slide those skis in. Carried my 210 cross country skis for years. Not much room on the armrest though.......
I had to get the roof rack as my back seat doesn't fold down. I guess I could have bought a chainsaw instead and created a fold down rear seat.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:40 PM

a little help---maybe

i was just look around the net and i fell into a really good picture of what the roof rack would look like-www.svx.com- the site in all in another language, but maybe you'll be able to find the parts off of that.

Kelli
Old 02-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: a little help---maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i was just look around the net and i fell into a really good picture of what the roof rack would look like-www.svx.com- the site in all in another language, but maybe you'll be able to find the parts off of that.

Kelli
Subaru offered a roof rack as a geunine accessory in Japan. Thats what you're seeing there

-Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: a little help---maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Subaru offered a roof rack as a geunine accessory in Japan. Thats what you're seeing there

-Mike
Mike, did you ever check into the Rolla rack??
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Re: a little help---maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Mike, did you ever check into the Rolla rack??
as far as the rolla specifically, no. I've heard its somewhat pricey, and I can still throw the ski's in the trunk with the seat down. When summer rolls around though, I'm going to get a little more serious about it. Reason being, my bike wont fit in the trunk. I sent an email to the kid in pittsburgh with the roof rack on his svx. I havnt gotten a resonse yet. I believe he said he was leaving for an extended vacation. That was almost a month ago though if i remember correctly. So, who knows. I dont think this guy's is the rolla. It doesnt look the same.

-Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 03:32 PM
Green1995SVX

I also noticed a friend of mine has a ski rack on his acura that seems to hang on the passenger door. The skis then mount to the rack along the side of the car. I'll look into that as well. Perhaps it's a universal application.

-Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 04:14 PM
Lowered SVX

jesus mike.......

put the rack on another car. are you seriously considering doing that to your svx. it is not a forester for christ's sake!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-26-2002, 04:28 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: jesus mike.......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
put the rack on another car. are you seriously considering doing that to your svx. it is not a forester for christ's sake!
I would only put it on when i needed it you know... sheesh

-Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Lowered SVX

well.......

well.........ok.......i guess......that is fine.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"