How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-22-2002, 08:01 AM
nate

Question factory service manual for 92?

Hi. I'm looking for either a factory service manual or a haynes/chilton for a 92 svx for my dad. I haven't found a haynes/chilton myself, although I might not be looking in the right places. And the only FSM I have found is GROSSLY overpriced at subaruparts.com. Wondering if any of you might be able to help me find something more reasonable. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: factory service manual for 92?

Quote:
Originally posted by nate
Hi. I'm looking for either a factory service manual or a haynes/chilton for a 92 svx for my dad. I haven't found a haynes/chilton myself, although I might not be looking in the right places. And the only FSM I have found is GROSSLY overpriced at subaruparts.com. Wondering if any of you might be able to help me find something more reasonable. Thanks.
If your dad is anything near a "wrench head" he won't be satisfied with anything but the factory service manuals. It was one of the first things I bought. They're actually not "overpriced" if you consider the cost savings on repair by having accurate information.

Those who've used the Chiltons (I don't think there's a Haynes) have been disappointed, at best. The reason you haven't found one is because you're looking for one specific to the SVX. You have to buy the 19XX-19XX Subaru Chiltons that covers everything from the Justy to the Legacy.

For my money, though -- I'd stick with the FSMs.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-22-2002, 09:09 AM
nate

Question

Both my dad and myself prefer FSM's. I guess my real question is if anybody knows how to get a copy of the FSM for a reasonable price. $160+ is ridiculous by anybody's measurement. Yeah, I understand your argument about the "savings" in using it to to the job yourself. But compare that price to the price of other FSM's and Subaru has got to be kidding themselves. Nissan's are around $80. VW's are around $100. Hell, Audi's are only around $100. We both love his SVX (he's had it for years and has done all the work to this point without any manual - problem is he has run into the transmission problem), but Subaru's are no Audi's and shouldn't be demanding more $$ for their stuff.

Anyhoo... not trying to cause an argument. Just hoping somebody knows of a discount place to get the FSM. I really appreciate the help.

Nate
Old 02-22-2002, 09:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Both my dad and myself prefer FSM's. I guess my real question is if anybody knows how to get a copy of the FSM for a reasonable price. $160+ is ridiculous by anybody's measurement. Yeah, I understand your argument about the "savings" in using it to to the job yourself. But compare that price to the price of other FSM's and Subaru has got to be kidding themselves. Nissan's are around $80. VW's are around $100. Hell, Audi's are only around $100. We both love his SVX (he's had it for years and has done all the work to this point without any manual - problem is he has run into the transmission problem), but Subaru's are no Audi's and shouldn't be demanding more $$ for their stuff.

Anyhoo... not trying to cause an argument. Just hoping somebody knows of a discount place to get the FSM. I really appreciate the help.

Nate

Believe it or not, subaruparts.com is the cheapest place you can buy the manuals (actually four books/six volumes two VERY THICK, two somewhat thin), except, as you say, someone is getting rid of theirs, or they're up on e-bay (crapshoot). They're also usually on back order and getting harder to get all the time.

Meanwhile, if there's something specific your dad needs to know, and I wouldn't have to scan a bunch of pages, PM me with particulars and I'll try to scan and e-mail the pertinent information from my set.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-22-2002, 11:04 AM
nate

Thanks Randy! follow up Q.

Perhaps a stupid question that I could figure out if I checked out the site more... what do you mean by "PM me"?

I appreciate the offer, but my guess is that it would be a lot of pages to scan. He had his transmission replaced 70,000 miles ago under warranty, but he just noticed it starting to slip again. He hasn't decided yet whether to invest in replacing the tranny or selling the car. If he replaces the tranny himself, I'm sure he'd want to review the pertinent info (which is probably a whole section).

Hey, one more question about the FSM. Does it come in both book form and on CD? The Bentley books for a lot of european cars comes with both. If there is a CD, maybe I can find somebody to burn a copy of that? What do you think?

Also, I will try the main library branch here in Boston to see if they have it. My guess is no, but libraries always surprise me with what they have.

Thanks again for all the help.

Nate
Old 02-22-2002, 11:08 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Best bang for the buck...

..is www.alldatadiy.com For $15-$20 you get a heckuva lot more than you ever would from a Haynes or Chilton's paperback. All the TSBs are there, however they don't expect diy'ers to need tranny rebuild instructions - first off they wouldn't have the tools required. They do have the tranny diagnosis charts, etc. Other than that most everything you'll ever need is there. I have yet to see anything there that isn't from the FSM.

Beav
Old 02-22-2002, 11:11 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
p.s.

they have a couplle vehicles for demo at the website to give you a 'feel' for what they offer.

Geez, I oughtta get a comission...

Beav
Old 02-22-2002, 11:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Service Manuals

Nate,

Your first port of call should be the Transmission Exchange Company. The manual they sell is very good value, and plenty of troubleshooting information. Below is a transcript of a reply I got querying which manual covered the SVX:
<<Subaru SVX, '91 is the 'Subaru 4 Speed' manual
Your cost for an ATSG Tech Manual is $14.00 (US)
plus shipping & handling. surface mail (there is no insurance) is $11.00
Kits and parts are also available

We accept all major credit cards.
Please call 800-776-1191 (503-284-0768) or fax 503-280-1655 to order.

Thanks for the inquiry,
Greg

for a list of products, see: http://www.txchange.com/main.htm>>

I have the factory manual also, very comprehensive. I
think , but am not certain, Subaruparts will sell individual volumes, which would be cheaper, but comprehensive. For your Dad, I would recommend Sections 1,2 and 3 minimum.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-22-2002, 11:58 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Thanks Randy! follow up Q.

Quote:
Perhaps a stupid question that I could figure out if I checked out the site more... what do you mean by "PM me"?

I appreciate the offer, but my guess is that it would be a lot of pages to scan. He had his transmission replaced 70,000 miles ago under warranty, but he just noticed it starting to slip again. He hasn't decided yet whether to invest in replacing the tranny or selling the car. If he replaces the tranny himself, I'm sure he'd want to review the pertinent info (which is probably a whole section).

Hey, one more question about the FSM. Does it come in both book form and on CD? The Bentley books for a lot of european cars comes with both. If there is a CD, maybe I can find somebody to burn a copy of that? What do you think?

Also, I will try the main library branch here in Boston to see if they have it. My guess is no, but libraries always surprise me with what they have.

Thanks again for all the help.

Nate
Nate,
I believe Beav and Joe answered all the other questions for you.

If you look at the bottom of this post, you'll see a button that says PM. That stands for "Private Message." If you click at the bottom of a post I have posted, it will bring up a box for you to send me a private message. Also, on the main forums page, at the bottom, you'll see a section that says "Private Messages." It'll take you to your private in box to show you your private messages as well as let you send to others. A click of the members button at the top of the page will take you to the members directory. Click on any member's name and you'll see options to e-mail or PM the member. This site is full of options.

I hope your dad can fix the car and doesn't have to sell it. I can understand his tranny frustrations, though. I'm going through them now. I'm guessing he's getting the dreaded slip between 2-3? Last time it happened to me, they diagnosed it as a faulty TPS (though, I still don't think that was the problem). Now, they've told me there is some "play" in some of the components that is causing it to leak pressure. I've been waiting for 17 days for my car. AAARRRGGHHHH!
Subaru Ambassador