How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Never2phat
Randy,

<opening my big bag of sympathy> Being such a good friend you can take as much as you would like I feel for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know I know how frustrating it can be when something happens to your SVX. It happens to the best of us unfortunately

It has been 17 days since I picked up my rental and I still have another 8 or 9 days before I am suppose to get my SVX back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything stays on schedule for me and everything works out for U.

B.C.
bchaplinski@peoplepc.com (if you ever need to vent or need a sympathethic shoulder)

P.S. I bought some writing paper for your love notes. Really!!! Just you wait
Well, we have one thing in common. This is day 17 for me. The downside is, only God knows how much longer.

I took a couple of double handfulls of sympathy, I hope that leaves enough for others.

Can't wait to see the paper.

Thank you for the good wishes and best of luck on yours.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-22-2002, 08:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Reman xmission

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Randy

Just talked to the parts guy at Earl Duff. Here's the scoop on a remanufactured transmission for a 92 AWD. The price he quoted me was 2295 for the transmission, about 300 for the labor, plus a case of fluid and a filter kit. With sales tax, the whole thing looks like it would be around $3000. That includes a 24/24000 warranty. The price includes the allowance for the core exchange, otherwise it's 3495. The old transmission must be assembled - they won't accept a box of parts. He usually orders on a Tuesday, and would have it by Friday, unless something strange happens.

Just FYI.

Hang in there. Hope it all turns out well
Thanks, Bill. That's more like it. As a matter of fact, that's what I was braced for when I got the call from the dealership here, so, when they said 4,600.00 which included core -- I almost shat myself. Only one thing -- I'd heard that core was 1,200.00. According to their figures, core is 495? Oh well. That's the best deal I've seen so far. I'll be seeing you if things go hinky on me.

Oh, and by "filter kit," is that the internal filter, or the ATK 50 program external?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-22-2002, 09:18 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
No, the core charge is $1200. $2295 + $1200 = $3495. If you don't have a Suby transmission for exchange, the total for labor, fluid, tax, etc. would be about $4200 or so. High, but still not 4600 just for the transmission.

I believe they're talking about the internal filter, at least that's what I got the impression Doug was talking about.

If it comes down to making a trip to E. TN, let me know.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:33 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
No, the core charge is $1200. $2295 + $1200 = $3495. If you don't have a Suby transmission for exchange, the total for labor, fluid, tax, etc. would be about $4200 or so. High, but still not 4600 just for the transmission.

I believe they're talking about the internal filter, at least that's what I got the impression Doug was talking about.

If it comes down to making a trip to E. TN, let me know.
Okay (DUH!). Math was never my strong suit. I'll let you know. Thanks again.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-22-2002, 12:03 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Randy,
I know you don't want to do this but let me point it out again. With new tranny in mind from dealer and spending 3500 or so, I recommand spending extra 1500 and pay 5000 for that white 94Lsi. Keep your 92 as well (for fixing at a later date or parts). If you don't have room, I can hold it for ya

To be honest, if that 94 has a good tranny, it would be less headache and it will still be white.

Any thoughts?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-22-2002, 12:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Randy,
I know you don't want to do this but let me point it out again. With new tranny in mind from dealer and spending 3500 or so, I recommand spending extra 1500 and pay 5000 for that white 94Lsi. Keep your 92 as well (for fixing at a later date or parts). If you don't have room, I can hold it for ya

To be honest, if that 94 has a good tranny, it would be less headache and it will still be white.

Any thoughts?

Lwin
I have a couple of thoughts:

I'd love to buy the '94 to supplement my current stable. But, I have to wonder; with people getting 6,500.00 for a good '92, what kind of shape is a '94 in that someone's asking 5,000.00 for? If, indeed it is in pristine condition, I think I'd scarf it up.

I will have my '92 until it breathes it's last breath. I have already invested too much in it monitarily and more than that, emotionally. Call me goofy (many of you have . . . to my face, even), but, I'm too emotionally attached to it just to have around for a <shudder> "parts car." I guess it's like haveing an old dog that you've grown fond of. He can be blind and running into the walls and have bladder control problems and soil your carpets, but, you keep on paying the vet and, dammit, you just can't put him to sleep.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-22-2002, 12:26 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I'll do a quick check on that 94 for ya over the weekend (with photos). I am going to that area anyhow.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-22-2002, 12:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I'll do a quick check on that 94 for ya over the weekend (with photos). I am going to that area anyhow.

Lwin
Hey, that would be super. See if you can't talk 'em down.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Lowered SVX

lets see.......

$90 in labor to replace the cv axle under warranty.....and god knows what this guy will charge to fix this oil leak. it better be nothing considering he just recently did the work and apparently did it wrong. i just hope this doesnt turn out to be another $500 bill.

oh, randy, you will be ok.......take deep breaths and try to make it through your svx withdrawl.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-22-2002, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

I don't care what you drive or fly to Reading III. Just get there, PULEASE. By that time, I may have a spare SVX for you and Shari while you are at the meet. If I don't. you can either drive or be chauffered around in SUBYDOO (Just no cigars or VISIBLE zebra stripes in the SVX); either way you have a ride. Just please come.

Larry III
Old 02-22-2002, 03:58 PM

Registered SVX
Re: lets see.......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
$90 in labor to replace the cv axle under warranty.....and god knows what this guy will charge to fix this oil leak. it better be nothing considering he just recently did the work and apparently did it wrong. i just hope this doesnt turn out to be another $500 bill.

oh, randy, you will be ok.......take deep breaths and try to make it through your svx withdrawl.
The way it's going, I'll be paying more for my rental car than you're paying for your repairs.

I *have* been taking deep breaths. I have resigned myself to my situation. It will be very, very, very hard to sit through another weekend without the car. I want to wash it and vacuum it and change the stereo and wax it . . . and hug it and hold it and stroke it and keep it for my very own (remember the old Bugs Bunny cartoons). This will be my THIRD weekend without it, but hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel -- and it's not just another train.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-22-2002, 04:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by ensteele93
I extend a GET WELL SOON to you and your car - whatever the new name is.
Oh, Earl, in case you didn't find it -- the name for my car is now in my sig.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I couldn't agree more.

People at work wonder why I have been a grumpy SOB for the last couple of weeks. I hate driving this toyota. I hate seeing my svx sit in the garage collecting dust. And I really hate scrapyard owners who use the blue-tipped saw to remove transmissions. If I don't find a donor tranny soon I am dragging the svx to Earl Duff's.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I will have my '92 until it breathes it's last breath. I have already invested too much in it monitarily and more than that, emotionally. Call me goofy (many of you have . . . to my face, even), but, I'm too emotionally attached to it just to have around for a <shudder> "parts car." I guess it's like haveing an old dog that you've grown fond of. He can be blind and running into the walls and have bladder control problems and soil your carpets, but, you keep on paying the vet and, dammit, you just can't put him to sleep.
-still looking for a good legacy to donate its 5spd to my svx.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:35 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Re: lets see.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The way it's going, I'll be paying more for my rental car than you're paying for your repairs.

I *have* been taking deep breaths. I have resigned myself to my situation. It will be very, very, very hard to sit through another weekend without the car. I want to wash it and vacuum it and change the stereo and wax it . . . and hug it and hold it and stroke it and keep it for my very own (remember the old Bugs Bunny cartoons). This will be my THIRD weekend without it, but hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel -- and it's not just another train.
Uhm, change the stereo? Is this something you do on a regular basis? If so, and the thought of not doing it gives you some sort of withdrawal pains, maybe I could donate my '95 for the weekend. Chust choking. (Though I know you'd rather not hear it.)

Have a good weekend anyway. Do something, like, with the wife and kids, or something.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 02-23-2002, 12:12 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Angry Trust me, It could be worse!

I feel your pain Aredubjay, but I would trade you in a heartbeat. I have not been able to drive my SVX now for 3 weeks (one of the reasons I have not been seen here). I am fairly sure it will be many more weeks before I can drive my SVX. Like I said, it could be worse. Your engine compartment could look like this:

With my parts list getting way out of hand, I will be lucky if I can drive it by summer. Can you belive they want over $200 each for motor mounts?!?
Good thing its starting to warm up. My mode of transportation has been either the mountian bike or the thumb.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2