How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-10-2005, 04:45 PM
SUBAFRK

Hello, newbie here.

I've been a lurker here for a little while and figured I'd finally sign up. I have a couple of questions. A little back ground: Right now I have a S2000 that is my daily driver w/ over 100k miles and an 05 STi that I try to keep the miles off (but still manage to have 30k mi on) Anyways, I mainly drive the STi in the winter because of the snow and general bad weather. I may have to sell the STi and was wondering how the SVX handled the snow. Our Forester kicks @ss in the snow and the STi is ok too, but it looks as if the SVX has lower ground clearance. Also, how does it handle in dry weather? I get to drive about 40 miles of fun mountain roads everyday and tend to push my cars hard. Does the SVX tend to oversteer or understeer when pushed to the limit?

I am seriously considering an SVX because I've always loved the styling, the price is right and of course because it's a subaru. However, I'm also considering other AWD cars too such as a late 90's audi. Any info is appreciated.

chris
Old 08-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the site. They handle very nice in the snow and the dry. The biggest variable is the tires and the way the car handles. The car is great for curves and windy roads. If and when you drive one, you will fall in LOVE!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Bipa

Howdy and welcome... I was also a long-time lurker before joining up just recently. Your comment about twisty mountain roads is what caught my eye. For three years I lived half-way up a Swiss mountain, and never had any trouble driving the SVX up and down. A note to consider, we don't bother with all-season tires, but always change from summer to winter and back. Never had to use chains even when it seemed that everyone else was putting theirs on. We actually tried to get the darned thing to skid after a big snowfall our first winter and it wasn't very cooperative

In the five years I've been driving our SVX, I've only had trouble once and it was my fault. There was a horrid freezing rain storm and there were more cars in the ditch than on the road. I hit the gas just a little too hard when making a right turn, and the car danced a bit of a jig before settling down. Regaining control was quick and easy with no harm done.

Whether going through the Swiss/Italian Alps or speeding along the flat German autobahn, I always enjoy driving the SVX. I'm just a bit more careful now when there's freezing rain
Old 08-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Welcome to the SVX Network. Hope we can answer some of your questions. I guess I will be the first to offer my thoughts. <edit - dammit, not the first to post...maybe someday >

I think your main concern is that it handle like a sports car. If you expect it to drive like a S2000 or STi, then you will be disappointed. This car is a more a GT car - a great sporty tourer, but not a true sports car. If you demand a stick shift, then you may be in trouble. The SVX lacked a manual transmission option from the factory. A few people here have converted to a 5-speed stick.

The car is also very heavy with the majority of the weight over the front end. Carving through the twisties is not the purpose of this car. Much like the stock STi, understeer is the dominate handling characteristic, but even more so with the SVX. The front tires give up pretty quickly. Although the aftermarket is small for a rare car like this, there are several things that would help to ”sport it up”, including CPU tuning, adjustable Koni shocks and stiffer springs.

A SVX with the right tires will handle almost as well as the Forester in the snow. But as you mentioned, it does not have as much ground clearance needed for heavy snow days. I love my SVX and driving it to Tahoe for some skiing is a great pleasure.

If you get a chance, take one for a test drive and you will quickly determine if it is right for you. As you already own a Forester, S2000 and STi and are looking at a SVX, you obviously have good taste in cars. Good luck with whatever you get.

-Matt

Last edited by nordique14; 08-10-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I must agree with nordique14 that the dominant handling characteristic of a stock SVX at the limit is mild to moderate understeer. However, a few inexpensive tweaks can improve handling greatly (thicker rear sway bar, polyurethane sway bar bushings, mild -ve camber adjustment).

I had a blast with my SVX in the snow last year, and it clawed through some pretty thick stuff at times on just all-season tires.

You have great taste in cars. Good luck whatever you decide!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I will be the first to disagree...

First if you drive the way the car is meant to be driven, you can make it do whatever you want. With simple throttle control you can make it over steer, act perfectly nuetral, or understeer. It all depends on a bit of practice with the car, and how good of a driver you are. (although the stiffer rear bar helps too i'm sure)

The sti is also not exactly known for moderate understeer... especially in snow.. on dry pavement its a bit different.

i personally LOVE the way the SVX handles snowy roads. even though its low to the ground, it would take quite a lot of snow to actually get it stuck.

Personally I'd say go for it. you might end up liking it as much as the s2000

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-11-2005, 04:20 AM
SUBAFRK

Thanks for all of the replies. I know that alot does depend on tires, the STi on stock tires sucks in the snow. I got stuck pulling out of my driveway! Now I run the BFGoodrich kdw and its a bit better. I hate to get rid of the STi, but the $800 a month I'm paying for car+insurance is a bit steep.

If the SVX handles as good or better than the Forester, I'll be happy. Plus I'll buy the SVX outright and have some $$$ to mod with. I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support, can you guys maybe recommend some JDM companies? Suspension/brake mods are always first on my list. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
When my SVX had the stock 4eat, the car was awesome in the snow. Straight line acceleration grip and stability were amazing. It would claw its way forward in a very stable fashion. Turning capability was good, but I never pushed the limits of traction when cornering in the snow except in empty parking lots, etc.

The stock 4eat is essentially a FWD tranny that can send power to the rear wheels via a transfer clutch. The TCU will vary the force on the transfer clutch using data from the wheel speed sensors, throttle position, rpm, and other inputs. The rear diff is an R160 with a viscous LSD mechanism just like the standard WRX. The front diff is an open diff. The key to having a snow-capable SVX will be to find one that has a tranny in good condition.

Koni makes a damper insert for the SVX strut. A couple places, including myself, sell strut springs. Ground Control makes a coilover kit. I sell a custom front sway bar. I've got a rear swaybar in the works, and I've got a fully-assembled Koni/coilover kit in the works. I'm also looking into making some spacers to adjust the roll center at the front of the car.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
You will love the SVX if you give it a true chance. I have never owned an AWD auto SVX so I cannot say much about that. All I know is that my 5mt did me right this past winter. I could do 50mph in 3inches of snow while I drove by ford pickups and other 4wd trucks, stuck in the woods on the side of the road. This was on all season tires might I add. I highly suggest getting an SVX as they are so much fun and easy to fall in love with. Mychailo is the man to talk to about the suspension upgrades if you are interested. I just finished my Koni/Ground Control coilovers and I cannot get out of the car!! The market is limited for us but there are options out there. Good luck and hope to see you around more often

Tom
Old 08-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The SVX is a great winter car but I would also recommend using winter tires on the ice/snow as opposed to all-seasons. I also have the adjustable coilovers and crank them up as high as I can in the winter. I haven't been stuck yet.