How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Post a tale of bad luck for me and my svx

so i have had my svx for a couple of months now
best car i have ever driven or owned for that matter, bar none.

i have put about 15000 miles on it so far... and have changed the oil frequently, added a trans cooler and external filter....

been taking damn good care of her if you ask me.

but
things still manage to go wrong. wtf.

so far these horrid things have happened to me since i have owned my svx.

1) not but a week after owning my car... i am in traffic.. and fiddling with the radio....moving at about 5-10 mph... and i look up....STOPPED TBIRD OH SH!T
so i brake, and manage to sttop exactly 2cm to far..... that is... my precious svx (virgin body up until this point) gave the the tbird a love tap.
i get out like "here it comes lawsuit etc" to find that the car i hit is the only stopped carr.... traffic starts to fly around us as we are standing in the freeway. wonderful. the old man gets out, glases at least 1/2 in thick, and looks at the damage... nothing to his pos, my car had some baby spider fractures in the bumper. what a day. no damage, just some cosmetics...
still was sucky

2) trying to make a u-turn on a canyon road due to an emergency... thought i had it cleared, but i didnt,..... ended up scraping the right front lower part of the frond bumber,,,, damnit. i was caught up in an emergency, it didnt matter to me then (or now, cuz i really want one of those replica prototype bumpers)

3) so, i ended up losing my place to live (long, long long story) so i have been using my SVX as a nice little mini palace on wheels. well... i was finding a nice shady spot to park (I absolutely HATE parking in the sun!!! i will search parkinglots for ever to find that "perfect" spot) and i found one under this tree. i was backing into the spot... and i had the radio on... bad idea. the tree had a branch hanging down that i didnt spot. well, good thing the antenna was there to spot it for me! now the antenena doesnt go down all the way. cool.

4) as i mentioned, my home in sacramento is no longer my home... so i decided to move down to LA for a while and stay with my girlfriend (i am here now) soooo im a drivin... cruising along in this construction zone,,, and this bastard in a HUMONGOUS truck comes flying up the onramp....onto the freeway... cuts me off, and shooots rocks all over my car... wtf.. so im over it at first,... some rock chips wont hurt my feelings ,.... then CRACK
MY PRECIOUS WINDSHIELD!!!
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
then, before i have a chance to get the plate so i can call insurance, dude cuts off like ten people and takes the next offramp....bastard.

5) okely dokely.... im on the road.. headed to LA, all the bad things in the rearview..... about 100 miles out of sac in this little sh!thole called Lathrop, cruising at like 70 mph.... and all of the sudded my window is covered in a green fluid.... and then the steam and then the temp guage skyrockets... oh grand i say, just grand.

sOOOOOOOOOOOOO after much deliberation on the side of the road trying to determine where exactly my radiator broke, (i figureed it was my tranny cooler bumping into it or something,) i couldnt figure it out. after a good twenty minutes of "wtf?!?!" i go and rest my hand on the radiator to prop myself up... almost cutting my hand oopen on the GIGANTIC CRACK !! the upper plastic part of the radiator just CRACKED! nHAHA! this was like finding the golden ticket in my chocolate bar! soo i wait a little longer for the engine to cool, and start it get up to speed and then kill the engine to get off the damn freewaty.... pull into the truck stop and get a tube of good old JBWELD.
i lather it up good and thick, and let it dry whilst i bake in the sun ../....

and then its good to go!
or so i thought
i get about 100 yards and it starts to overheat again. DAMNIT
the crack now was sealed, but the JBweld had some spider cracks of its own.
so... i go and get another tube of jbweld, and a tube of silicone gasket maker.
i put it on so thick than a hammer couldnt get through it... i wish i had my digital camera to show......it was quite comedic actually.
but it worked!!!! i made it the rest of the 300 mile journey, no poblemo.

thats my story (the short version) of how i made it to LA and how my car has been through some ish in the procss/

so... total damage report so far:
new windshield: $950
new radiatior $260
new front bumper $300-500+
new antenna $100 (?)

not to mention the things that need to be fixed anyway...
such as my muffler that makes the tin can noise
and my tranny that needs a new internal filter
and so on and so on..
however,,,, i must say,.... the svx is the best car ever. i have enjoyed every minute driving it so far and will continue to love it in the future. i can easily say that all the thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars i will put into it in the future will be well worth every penny.
-------------------------

Last edited by intellibomb; 08-02-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
#073 of 301

Could be so very much worse for you though, as other people have had their Tranny go on the dive home from picking the car up! SVXs are good cars, but theyre all getting old. Because they've stopped production, and because of the original limited numbers of them parts are going to be expensive. But, you knew this when you bought one

Hope you don't have to go back to living in your car anymore. Did you ever consider selling the SVX to, oh I don't know, pay some rent for a while, then buying another once you got back on your feet?

Edit: The first part of my post made me sound like a jerk when I wasn't trying to, so I got rid of it.
Barcelona Red '93 AE #073 of 301, 168k miles.

Last edited by Dza; 08-02-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Don't get me wrong, but the first 4 of your porblems would have been the same no mater what car you had. I know you weren't blaming it, but that is just an observation. Hope things get better and not worse.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

sorry about your problems man.

but like earl said, the first four problems you had were due to negligence. you need to be more aware of your surroundings bud. there's crap all over the place that you have to look out for.

good luck man.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM

yup
i agree all of that was pretty much my fault
that is why it was a tale of bad luck
cuz
fen der benders suck
getting cracked windshields suck
being a dumass and backing into a branch definitely sufks
and pretty much all that sucks

ii just thought i would share

i must say though, after all the hoops i had to jump through just to get the car, there is no way i will sell it
ever.

i kind of like living in it.... it is a refreshing experience..

btw, i like the suggestion of selling it to get a place, and i have thought about it, but then i couldnt very well work now could i
soooooooooooo
i am still car livin' but with all my loot going towards a place to live

btw
im sorry if it made me sound like i was crying to the psychiatrist,, i didnt mean to make it sound that way... i just was sharing the crazy things that have happened to me lately.......

i could go on and on and on and on and on on on on on on on on
about all the good things that this car has brought...... maybe ill just do that next time