Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 07-01-2005, 04:30 AM
KCROGUEDOG

screen install

ok today i am aquiring a alpine dvd indash reciever on the low low. and the screen comes out and flips up (motorized). it was in my friends ride great condition and is near new. i know it will fit. do to its a normal size radio slot. but from where the stock radio is there is a 3 in or so lip for the screen to come over. do you all think the screen would clear it? can i mount in the bottom slot instead of the top for more room for screen clearance? has anyone tried a flip screen in the svx or am i going to be the guniea pig again? where to get the install kit and wiring harness? any info would be great.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:15 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
It's been done before. The one I saw had to me relocated to the front of the dash area almost flush with the wood in order for the screen to flip up straight enough. Made it impossible for him to use the door but the install shop made a pretty nice face that blended the area where the door had been to be flush with the rest of the dash area.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I've seen the sony XAV-7W in a SVX and the door still worked fine. I just got mine, but I have not installed it yet.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:01 PM
KCROGUEDOG

was it installed in the bottom half of the deck or the top (normal). im going to try this today if i can find the install kit and harness up here. i know the screen has adjustments on how far it comes out. but is it far enough is the question. i really dont want to risk the door coming off. i like things hidden. especially a screen. more of a reason to get the precious windows knocked out.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
It was installed in the top space.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:10 AM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
mine is installed in the bottom slot, with a dvd player in the top slot, AND the door still closes
Old 07-02-2005, 02:20 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i just found out yesterday more about the screen. it is just the indash screen no dvd. so im not sure if i want it. it is in great shape and ive seen it in use and he only wants 200 (from a long time friend). im debating on buying. i dont want to buy a dvd player but i got a ps2. the only place i found for the install is the glove box. which the ps2 fits perfect length wise tight. width wise i might have to take off the glove box door (which still dont look that bad). and make some brackets to hold it up. i know what i need to hook it up. but how do i hard line the ps2 (power wise). the screen is a basic install and all the rcas and the video line run from the ps2. but for power?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
... where to get the install kit and wiring harness?
No install kit is needed for DIN-sized head units. The only place you'll find the wiring harness is here.

See my SVX Audio Installation Guide for pictures and more information.

Quote:
how do i hard line the ps2 (power wise)
Tap power and ground via the above harness, and run that over to your glove box. That way you'll be powering all of your A/V stuff from the car's "radio" fuse, and avoid getting a ground loop.

Personally, I'd rather have the screen and DVD in the dash so I don't have to reach over to the glove box.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I think he's referring to how to supply 120V to the PS2. You can either disassebmly the PS2 and locate the 12V and 5V supply points and wire in your own voltage regulators, or go the simple way and wire in a low power inverter that the PS2 can directly be plugged in to. With the heat and cold you're likely to encounter in the car, I'd suggest running your games off the HD and save the laser, as HDs are cheap and easy to replace.

KuoH
Old 07-03-2005, 12:23 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
i just found out yesterday more about the screen. it is just the indash screen no dvd. so im not sure if i want it. it is in great shape and ive seen it in use and he only wants 200 (from a long time friend). im debating on buying. i dont want to buy a dvd player but i got a ps2. the only place i found for the install is the glove box. which the ps2 fits perfect length wise tight. width wise i might have to take off the glove box door (which still dont look that bad). and make some brackets to hold it up. i know what i need to hook it up. but how do i hard line the ps2 (power wise). the screen is a basic install and all the rcas and the video line run from the ps2. but for power?
To put the PS2 in the glovebox, you will need to remove the door. I tried, it don't fit. I ended up making a cage for mine and put it under the dash.

For power, just use an inverter so you don't need to hack up the PS2

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-03-2005, 01:03 PM

I would just get wireless controllers and install it in the rear somewhere, or possibly in the trunk and add a remote power switch and extra fan for cooling.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
To put the PS2 in the glovebox, you will need to remove the door. I tried, it don't fit. I ended up making a cage for mine and put it under the dash.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:42 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
I would just get wireless controllers and install it in the rear somewhere, or possibly in the trunk and add a remote power switch and extra fan for cooling.

KuoH
It's hard to change games in the trunk

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Hence the remote power button and running the games off the harddrive. The PS2 laser is quite fragile as it is, best not to hurry it to its demise with heat, humidity and vibration. You've heard of HDLoader and HDAdvance right?

KuoH

Quote:
It's hard to change games in the trunk
Old 07-03-2005, 11:13 PM
KCROGUEDOG

Quote:

For power, just use an inverter so you don't need to hack up the PS2
yeah cool im going to remove the door and make a bracket with foam brace to abosorb shock. and for power i found inverters that plug in to the cig lighter for easy install (i got a double one for radar and whatever). the ps2 is 93 watts should a 100 watt inverter work or go lower (75watts) or higher (175watt for 35bones). the ps2 will be mainly a dvd player till Madden 06 comes out.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 PM
KCROGUEDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc
No install kit is needed for DIN-sized head units. The only place you'll find the wiring harness is here.

See my SVX Audio Installation Guide for pictures and more information.

Tap power and ground via the above harness, and run that over to your glove box. That way you'll be powering all of your A/V stuff from the car's "radio" fuse, and avoid getting a ground loop.

Personally, I'd rather have the screen and DVD in the dash so I don't have to reach over to the glove box.
will taping the power (was what i thought of first and was told to go the inverter route) be enough power. i dont want a fire.