Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 07:23 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Still looking for some real details....

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

'92 here and 168k miles and getting "thin" on bands clutches etc. until I read a post earlier I was just shy of starting to save for smallcar to do the swap and I figured out with thier shift kit they don't really know a whole lot about what they manufacture other than what its supposed to do and how to do it. I could have made the shift kit myself if I had know what was in it.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 06-14-2005, 05:41 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
Still looking for some real details....

Like what? You saw the link to the tranny FAQ's. Those are the modifications that were made. What else is there?

Dave
Old 06-14-2005, 05:54 AM

Like ones that show that the '92 failure rate is higher, that the other model years don't fail, or that the changes made actually created a problem-free tranny.

According to that same article,
Quote:
...all of these transmissions suffer, to some extent, from the same problems.
I believe your original statement was:

Quote:
Only the 92's had bad tranny problems.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-14-2005, 07:28 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Like ones that show that the '92 failure rate is higher, that the other model years don't fail, or that the changes made actually created a problem-free tranny.

The 92's had the worst problems. No year was bullet proof. It is possible to have a 92 go many miles, it is possible to have a 94 die an early death. Anything is possible. But the changes Subaru made helped. The evidence is the fact that the percentage of trannys Subaru had to warranty declined as the changes were being made. I highly doubt Subaru would ever make public it's records of tranny warrantys, so I can't show you proof. I know it to be true from other people in this business, mostly Service Managers, who were around for the SVX tranny fiascos. I have also noticed that most of the 92 SVX VINS that I run through Subaru show a transmission or two being replaced under warranty. It's just common knowledge that the later models had less problems. I never said they had no problems. Just less.

Dave
Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 AM

Sorry to have hijacked-

Answer to the original question: I see no reason why the manuals should be questioned for reliability. A manual tranny is a much simpler machine than an AT, and it doesn't have the fluid/ cooling issues of the AT.

There are some questions as to whether the MT's are STRONG enough, but that would have a lot to do with driving style. Subaru didn't use the MT in the SVX because when the SVX came out they didn't have a manual on the shelf that they felt could adequately handle the 3.3L. Some of the newer turbo 4 cylinders have similar HP output to the 3.3, so their trannies should be able to handle it.

Many swaps have been done using older trannies. They still seem to be outlasting what Subaru thought they would do. If they do break, rebuilding the manual should be significantly less expensive than the 4EAT.

Anyone out there blown up a manual?

Old 06-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
On the "More 92's had tranny failure", could this not be mostly due to the fact that there where MANY more 92's produced than any other year, so even if the same percentage of SVX's had tranny failure for each year, the 92's would have the greatest number of failures.....I mean ther were more 92's sold in the US than 94-97 combined....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"

Last edited by huck369; 06-14-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
On the "More 92's had tranny failure", could this not be mostly due to the fact that there where MANY more 92's produced than any other year, so even if the same percentage of SVX's had tranny failure for each year, the 92's would have the greatest number of failures.....I mean ther were more 92's sold in the US than 94-97 combined....

That's why I spoke of percentages and not total numbers.

Dave
Old 06-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Yeah, Jesse/Tom...know anyone?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:58 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Not many SVXers have broken 5MTs, but lot's of WRX and Impreza RS owners have grenaded their 5MT. The SVX is just as capable of doing this, so 5MT longevity in an SVX is all about how the car is driven (assuming that the 5MT was in good shape before being installed). Constant serious abuse will break it. I try my best to avoid shocking the tranny with any sort of clutch dump. I'd rather fry the clutch than grenade the tranny.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Yeah, Jesse/Tom...know anyone?
Hey now... the person who did the swap knew the trans was garbage and still used it. The new one I have in now seems to be just fine

Tom
Old 06-15-2005, 05:22 AM
Superbeast

Yeah, and I can't really say I blew them up. The first one freakishly broke 5th gear and I fixed it and stuck it back in my Legacy. The second was starting to not shift into second at all, (normal for old 5 speeds). So I never blew one up, like Tom did.

Now motors on the other hand.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
So I never blew one up, like Tom did.

Now motors on the other hand.
So, whats that suposed to mean? I guess we are kinda even. You blew your engine to peices as I blew my trans to peices While You kinda killed the transmissions as I kinda killed my engine.

Tom

PS- when do u wanna come get the engine?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:32 PM

What did you do to blow it up??

Old 06-16-2005, 05:01 AM

Quote:
What did you do to blow it up??
dynamite