How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-08-2003, 01:54 AM
alacrity024

Question why 2.5 in forester??

i took a Forester 2.5XT out for a test-drive today.. it was pretty nice. i've been thinking about buying a new subaru and i need the space a wrx wagon would afford me.. but that forester could haul a bit more stuff..

anyway, sitting in the dealership, i asked the dealer why FHI would bother to use two different engines in the two vehicles (wrx gets a 227hp 2.0liter and forester gets a 210hp 2.5liter).. from an economic standpoint it doesn't seem to make sense--i couldn't see 17hp and 10ft/lbs of torque making THAT big of a difference..

the answer is not immediately obvious unless you drive both vehicles..

the 2.5 makes more juice low in the rev range, while the 2.0 needs to be screaming away to make all its power. as a result, the forester is a MUCH more civilized and well-behaved vehicle to drive.

in addition to its increased displacement, the 2.5 liter turbo motor is assisted in its efforts by variable valve timing, something also employed by the STi... assuredly the internals of the two engines are quite varied, but on a broader level, the STi shares much of its heart with the chunk of aluminum in the front end of the Forester..

so this brings up another question: in 20 years, which Subaru engine will still be running?

i'd pick the new H6 3.0 to outlast both four-bangers (with the possible exception of a low-mile, pampered STi) based on the staggering lack of high-mileage network members reporting any serious engine troulbe..

but i'd like to know what you guys think..

-adam

Last edited by alacrity024; 11-08-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Hater

its also been reported that the Forester XT engine has been VERY conservatively rated by Subaru. maybe not wanting to ruin the WRX wagon's reputation? some tuners over on NASIOC have reported that it makes more like 240hp. it will also pull off a 0-60 of 5.3 seconds as reported by <forget which car magazine>. i'd definitely get a Forester XT over a WRX wagon!!!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-08-2003, 05:23 AM

2.5 Forester

The low down power supplied by the turbo in the Forester is for rough country work. I think that they went to the 2.5 engine for highway cruising, the 2.0L gets a little strained on some roads.

Could be wrong in the this but the 2.0L in the Wrex is for WRC. the word going around my dealers shop was that they may have a rule about having to have a certain amount of sales of a car before they can rally it. There may also be some rule somewhere in Japan about maximum output from the cylnders of an engine.

Don't know anything for sure, only what I've heard or read somewhere or other, perhaps others may have read the reasons for why Subaru have kept the 2.0L in the Wrex.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:30 AM
Porter

Re: why 2.5 in forester??

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
in addition to its increased displacement, the 2.5 liter turbo motor is assisted in its efforts by variable valve timing, something also employed by the STi... assuredly the internals of the two engines are quite varied, but on a broader level, the STi shares much of its heart with the chunk of aluminum in the front end of the Forester..

so this brings up another question: in 20 years, which Subaru engine will still be running?

i'd pick the new H6 3.0 to outlast both four-bangers (with the possible exception of a low-mile, pampered STi) based on the staggering lack of high-mileage network members reporting any serious engine troulbe..

but i'd like to know what you guys think..

-adam
On the contrary, the EJ257 in the Forester XT and the STi are materially identical with the exception of only two items... the cam profile, and the intake manifold.

On the down low... you will see re-standardization of all US turbo 4cyl vehicles on the 2.5L block in the future. It's simply much easier to meet emissons with the larger displacement. The torque is a bonus.

The new H6 motor is something of a wild-card, as it is quite different in design than any previous Subaru flat motor. The cams are chain driven and the head design is a complete departure from the traditional EA/EG/EJ designs. Whether it will be reliable long-term has yet to be determined.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:14 PM
alacrity024

does the new six-banger use variable valve timing like the 2.5 block? i understand the benefits which can be reaped with multiple cam profiles and timing, but i see it as one more expensive thing to fix..

-adam
Old 11-08-2003, 01:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
does the new six-banger use variable valve timing like the 2.5 block? i understand the benefits which can be reaped with multiple cam profiles and timing, but i see it as one more expensive thing to fix..

-adam
Apparently, the Honda v-tec system has not had one single failure yet. If this is true, it seems like good technology.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 11-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Superbeast

So Adam are you gona buy this Forester instead of fixing the SVX or as an addition to the fleet of vehichles that your gona leave for me to watch when you go to Italy?

Adam: Somewhat of a wild card himself.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 11-09-2003, 10:16 AM
alacrity024

nah freak, i can't afford a new vehicle AND a trip the italy.. reguardless of what happens, the SVX needs to get fixed.. i can probably sell it for $2k more with a tranny than without..

...if i opt to sell it

but god DAMN it would be fun to cruise around the autostrasse (sp?) in such a cool car

-adam
Old 11-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Apparently, the Honda v-tec system has not had one single failure yet. If this is true, it seems like good technology.
Honda? Subaru's variable valve timing system is called AVCS and is quite different from Honda's VTEC system. AVCS is significantly more advanced, and more similar to Toyota's VVTLi or BMW's VANOS.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

Honda? Subaru's variable valve timing system is called AVCS and is quite different from Honda's VTEC system. AVCS is significantly more advanced, and more similar to Toyota's VVTLi or BMW's VANOS.
But is it any less reliable?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 11-10-2003, 05:14 PM
alacrity024

i sort of thought that all those systems were essentially the same.. camshafts with extra lobes which just "pulled back" to set the new profile in place... porter, can you go into a little detail on how subaru's system works? i'd like to know..

-adam
Old 11-11-2003, 04:34 AM
Superbeast

Hmm, I belive it based more on a movable cam gear that can adjust the timming of the cams not really another set of lobes like the V-techs witch still don't have any low end tourqe anyway. I acctually know nothing about Subarus Variable cams but Im guessing it's something like that.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 11-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Certified Porschephile

The WRX comes with a 2.0L motor because that is the largest size motor allowed in the WRC. The STi that is for sale in the U.K. and Japan is a 2.0L. Only the U.S. got the 2.5L STi. I agree, I really like the Forester 2.5 XT. Has anyone driven a 2.5L Turbo Baja yet?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: