How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-27-2003, 08:49 PM
samerooo22

11 Duty solenoid A????

Ok, my Power light was blinking 16 times at startup and I am currently having some problems with my tranny, so I took the power light test and came up with Code 11, which is the Duty solenoid A. What is that???? I know that it has to do with the tranny, but what the hell???? Please someone explain to me what that is....PLEASE!!! If you know please get back to me asap.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:51 AM

Registered SVX
Duty solenoid valve A controls the line pressure in the transmission. This valve is constantly opened and closed to by pass pressure as means of regulating the operating pressure of the system. Because it is constantly in motion this solenoid valve is usually the first to give trouble due to the high duty cycle and resulting rate of wear.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:56 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

What I suggest you try will not fix your problem but MAY help you get around it. Pull the resistor connection by the battery. Lots of post on this subject. This will cause "A" to be open all the time and not throttle the pressure. This increases the line pressure and maybe the trans will run better. Then again if the solenoid is stuck open there will be no change. Pulling the resistor also make sthe power light blink and gives an error code. Some people have added a 200ohm resistor to fix that. Search around for more info.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX
So that there will be no confusion (and not trying to be a smart arse!) : -

Solenoid A does not in fact throttle the pressure by closing, it opens to bleed off pressure through a bypass. Disconnecting the resistor will decrease the open time and as a result increase the pressure.

If the valve is not closing properly, or the seat is worn and leaking, there will be a continual bypassing of pressure. Failure of the electrical signal leaves the valve fully closed resulting in maximum pressure and therefore the system is electrically fail safe on a Ò get you home Ò basis.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 PM
samerooo22

Ok, would I be able to do the fix myself? If so, do you have some directions for me???
Old 10-28-2003, 08:08 PM

Registered SVX
Sorry to be a spoil sport but I doubt very much that you could fix it as quite complicated work within the transmission assembly is involved.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
More than likely the resistor located behind the battery is no more good.

Get an ohm meter and measure it. It should read anywhere between 7 and 20 ohms (mine reads 12).
Old 10-29-2003, 06:42 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Earthworm
More than likely the resistor located behind the battery is no more good.

Get an ohm meter and measure it. It should read anywhere between 7 and 20 ohms (mine reads 12).
[/QUnOTE]

In the event that the problem concerns only a flashing fault indication this could apply but tranny problems are reported.

If the resistor is open circuit this will have the effect of increasing the line pressure which would only result in over firm shifting. It is very unlikely that the resistor is short circuited.

Disconnecting the resistor could in fact be a temporary solution worth trying as suggested earlier in the thread by SVX Commuter if slippage or flare is the problem.

More detailed information would have been appreciated. At the moment we are all working in the dark.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:19 AM

The TCU trouble code most likely points to some wiring problem, not the failure of the Solenoid A itself. TCU cannot detect if this solenoid is opening or closing properly, and the coil itself does not wear out.

I would suspect the harness connectors first, particulary around the dropping resistor.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:58 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by samerooo22
Ok, would I be able to do the fix myself? If so, do you have some directions for me???
Oh Trevor, some people have done this parts change. It is all work on the bottom of the transmission to get the solenoids out and back in. They come in a pack of three I think. The point here is that some people have changed it. The worse part is the accumulators fall out and it's a little tricky getting them back in. Working upside down with ATF dripping in your face is no fun either. Cleaning the gasket material off for the control valve would be a pain too.

Oh Trevor I don't remember which way ANY of the the solenoids go with no power, open or closed, but I do know the line pressure goes to maximum when the voltage is off.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 10-30-2003 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:27 PM
quiquetupper

Duty Solenoids ?

To whom may help me.
I am going to try to be brief,I have a 92 SL-L ,I bought it with a cracked transmission,so after some months of search I found one from a wrecked 94 SVX,my mechanic install it and inmediately he told me the 1-2 shift is getting it at high RPM,sometimes it shifted at 3K and sometimes 4K or 4.5K,depending on the type of aceleration. Thinking the shifting coul be corrected,I install the shift kit from "small car"but nothing happened.I decided to go on vacation and use my car so I went from Oregon to Los Angeles - Las Vegas - SanFrancisco and back to Oregon,3.000 miles in 14 days,the car was awesome it is a wonderful car,during the trip I learned that at first shift I had to let off the foot from the acelerator pedal and the car shifted to 2 shift,well that is what I thought but las week I took my car to a well reputed transmission shop and the expert there test drove it and he told me the car was not shifting to 2,it was skipping it and instead was shifting to third. He told me he needed to test the computer and the vacuum lines to know what it is,well I have an appointment next Thursday 13.But before going there I wanted to have a second opinion so I took it to a mechanic shop close to my work,and I saw the mechanic go to the computer and print some information from Alldata and then he did the self diagnosis test and he told me the blinking power light showed Code 14,that is shift solenoid 2. I went to Subaru and they want $ 357 retail price,but I can get it for $ 285 from them for a 4 solenoid pack,since they come all in one pack.But calling on the phone I could get it from an after market wholesale vendor for $ 100 with my company discount.The thing is that today I had some time off and I did the self diagnosis test that is shown in this Network and I did it twice to make sure and It showed me Code 11 that one long blink and one short or quick blink,I have my doubt if it is 11 or 12,well if it is 11 it correspond to Duty solenoid A,line pressure if it is 12 Duty Solenoid B lock up,but I think is 11 because the second blink is short but faster.i know you Trevor and the rest know a lot about transmission,so if you can give me a hand I certainly would appreciate that.Beforehand Thank you very much
That is the only problem my car has the shifting 1-2.