How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2003, 12:43 PM
wolf33h

Transmission oil coolers

Searching local archives, I found that most people use B&M transmission oil coolers. Talking to the local transmission shop, I was told that B&M transmission oil coolers are made by Hayden. Can someone say yes or no to this? There is a lot more info from Hayden than from B&M.
Thanks, wolf33h
Old 10-10-2003, 01:44 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Its possible. If you don't have the link to the Hayden ATF coolers, here it is:

http://www.haydenauto.com/transmis.html

The Rapid-Cool model looks like the B&M stack cooler.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:58 PM
wolf33h

Exclamation

Thanks Mychailo! Indeed, B&M 70255 & 70268 are identical to Hayden Rapid-Cool Transmission coolers 676 & 677.
wolf33h
Old 10-11-2003, 03:41 PM
wolf33h

Question More on transmission oil coolers

It would be an oversight not to mention that a few SVXers used Perma-cool transmission oil coolers as well. The perused site http://www.perma-cool.com/ offers a greater variety of Thin line (3/4") coolers than B&M-Hayden and accessories including oil filters + temperature gauges. I have not been able to find a comparison between B&M and Perma-cool oil coolers regarding cooling efficiency, ease of installation and maintenance. I have read that some installers used Perma-cool oil coolers with fans and placed them in other locations than in the radiator area.
Any input is appreciated, and also by the SVX-netters-newbies, I am sure.
wolf33h
Old 10-11-2003, 10:10 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
From what I've read, the stack coolers are more efficient at heat transfer than the tube-and-fin coolers.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:47 PM
JJay

Question FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW

WHAT IS THE BEST OIL COOLER TO GET FOR AN OLD 1992?

I am a Newbie and I would like to know the opinions of the experienced. Tell me the best one and how much it costs to install it. Thanks. I know it has been asked a lot, but just help me out anyway..... thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Hater

Re: FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW

Quote:
Originally posted by JJay
WHAT IS THE BEST OIL COOLER TO GET FOR AN OLD 1992?

I am a Newbie and I would like to know the opinions of the experienced. Tell me the best one and how much it costs to install it. Thanks. I know it has been asked a lot, but just help me out anyway..... thanks.
i think the answer is: anything other than the factory one!

i have a TCI 'tube and fin' model. people say the 'stack, B&M style' are better, but i've also seen people that use them post really high temp readings, so i dunno. prices range anywhere from $50 to $200 (models with thinline fans and thermostats). cost to install? zero. i did it myself. its not difficult.

again, i'll say removing the plastic under tray in the summer is VERY helpful in keeping the temps down. i'm tryin' to spread the word on this one.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-17-2003, 12:09 PM
JJay

Thanks for your help

I am taking all the notes on what to do so I can keep the car as good as possible. Thanks.