IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Lighter problem and removal help

I decided to install a new Optima battery today. Before disconnecting the old battery I plugged in a portable 12V power source into the cigarette lighter to preserve the memory of my radio, alarm, etc.

After I installed the new battery I disconnected the power source from the lighter prior to turning on the ignition and starting the car. When I plugged in my plug-in voltmeter into the lighter there was no power. I checked all of the fuses; all OK. The fuse that controls the lighter (#3) also controls the power mirrors and the heated mirrors. Both of these are working so the fuse is OK.

I checked the wiring diagram in my manual. The green wire/red stripe (+) that goes to to the back of the the lighter has power. I used a circuit tester, attaching the neg lead to the metal ring surrounding the lighter and the pos lead to the center: No power

I can't believe that the lighter just gave out. It was working perfectly before I put the power source plug in and I figure any electrical overload would have popped the fuse. Everything else in the car works perfectly. My 92 lighter worked perfectly for 10 years; this is only a 96.

Before I try and tackle the removal and replacement, can anyone advise the best way to do this. Could something have slipped off, become bent, etc. Any shortcuts to getting the d**n thing out?

Does anyone have a spare lighter assembly they are parting out? They run about $40.00 new.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

It just needs a jump start, John. Lick your index finger real good, & stick it in the lighter hole while turning on the ignition. Now... you won't really care if the lighter circuit works or not.

You got that old, scuzzy Suby battery all shined up & ready for my inspection yet? Doesn't Rufus have a lighter module lying around in the mud somewhere?

Glad to be of help.

Ron (pointing out other people's parts).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:16 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Lighter problem and removal help

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by svxcess [/i
I checked the wiring diagram in my manual. The green wire/red stripe (+) that goes to to the back of the the lighter has power. I used a circuit tester, attaching the neg lead to the metal ring surrounding the lighter and the pos lead to the center: No power . [/B]
If you are sure you made a reliable test ( often rust caused by heat in a lighter socket can result in what appears to be contact not in fact being reliable).

In the event that your test was reliable and showed no actual voltage the fault must be in the supply hardware i.e. connections, wiring, fuses etc. You obviously Know what you are about and should sniff about a little more as you have a rather weird fault.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I believe (Lwin would know best) that you can access the wires to the lighter from the area exposed when you remove the ash tray. The lighter threads together so it isn't too difficult to take out and clean/test assuming you can reach behind and hold it while you turn the sleeve from the top.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-10-2003, 03:50 PM
JLittell

Sell the car if the lighter doesn't work!! It's
all downhill from here!!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I've had experience with the lighter. You've got to have some pretty small hands and patience to work on that sucker. But, it can be done.

John,
First thing to try is bending the tabs on the lighter toward the center. Mine didn't work after using a phone charger plug in. I took the key and pried the tabs back in to hold the plug tight and it started working again. I still have the old assy, so if you need to know what it looks like, just send me an e-mail. I'll take pix. I just deleted the ones I took for sith. I've got a better camera now, anyway.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Lighter problem fixed.

I ordered a new lighter assembly and Mike Wirt(rufus) and I removed the old one and installed a new one this weekend. Rufus managed to get it out of the dash with the audio door up and only the ashtray removed, using a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to grap onto the screw off nut on the back. About 15 minutes of time after a couple of false starts.(Since his 92 parts car has its interior gutted it was easy to see how everything went together. There is no way to get the plastic panel that surrounds the lighter out of the dash without removing the entire center of the dash_ there are 2 screws holding it in, but only one is accessible from the outside.

After getting the old one out we compared it to the new one. Evidentally there is a fusible link on the back of the lighter which blew. It is a short black wire.

I have never seen this before and am not sure why it it would blow instead of the fuse. In the picture you can see the shriveled portion of the wire. We did a continuity test between both ends and it read open

I have installed many lighter and 12V receptacles in vehicles and I have never seen this wire on a lighter assembly. Does anyone know the purpose of this wire link?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !lighter.jpg (352.9 KB, 1840 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-29-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:41 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm also looking for a lighter assy. I broke it during removal. I need the whole ball of wax but I would settle for the illumination ring and lighter assy. minus the woodgrain.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 10-20-2003, 02:05 PM

Re: Lighter problem fixed.

Quote:
Originally posted by svxcess
...snip...After getting the old one out we compared it to the new one. Evidentally there is a fusible link on the back of the lighter which blew. It is a short black wire.

I have never seen this before and am not sure why it it would blow instead of the fuse. In the picture you can see the shriveled portion of the wire. We did a continuity test between both ends and it read open

I have installed many lighter and 12V receptacles in vehicles and I have never seen this wire on a lighter assembly. Does anyone know the purpose of this wire link?
So that Subaru can charge $6.45 million (US, not Canadian) to change it out?

I just ran a loop of straight wire in place of the fusible link on mine (about 10 months ago) works fine - so far!

Michael - if you find one let me know - I would be interested in the woodgrain only. I want to see how a tranny gauge would look there, but not enough to destroy mine then find out I think it sucks.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:34 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I thought about that myself but ended up putting it in place of the open door indicator

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 10-20-2003, 07:44 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
So there's no cure if I broke the woodgrain part off? The whole assembly pops out and i can get behind it quite easily, but it doesnt stay in place, and interferes with the operation of the stereo cover door.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is there supposed to be a nut that holds the lighter assembly together? Some time ago I removed my cell phone charger from the socket only to find that the socket came with it. I haven't bothered to fix it yet and was going to ask about this after I caught up on reading threads or found a suitable thread to post the question in.

If there is a nut can someone show me where it is on subaruparts.com? I've looked but can't seem to find it.