Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-30-2003, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
I think its my alternator

I think its my alternator!
Ok heres the story, I drove to a friends house, and as I was parking I noticed that the "Stop Light", "brake Light","ABS","Battery","power Steering" lights go on. I tried to ignore them so I went inside my friends house and was there for like 45min. When I went back to my car the same lights were still on. Like 2 miles later the interior lights in the dash began to dim so I figure the car was losing power and a second after the car shut off. So i got a boost and it was enought to make it to my house and just as I was parking the car lost power again.
What do you guys think?
So im buying an alternator but I want to know if theres another alternator that would fit it. Just in case they tell me that they dont have one for an SVX, maybe a subaru one fits it?
thanks guys
Old 07-31-2003, 05:06 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

It gives the symptoms of a failing alternator.

I have a used one you can borrow if you get stuck but I have not used it yet. IT's from another car. Have you thought about having AutoZone check your electric system?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Roughgem
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. The problem with the SVX is that the original alternator is 95 amps. Finding an 80 amp alternator is easy through autozone or pepboys, etc., but I did find one at O'Reilly's that was a 90 amp, but had to wait a week to get it. It was $140 plus tax.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:38 PM

Ok, I replaced the alternator which got rid of all the check lights on the engine,but anew one came on. So when I finally finished the alternator instalaltion I turned the car on after I got a boost then I noticed that my "power" light blinked 16 times, what can the code mean? I did look up the self diagnostic tesyt which I will do but I just figure I check with you guys to see If any of you had any suggestions. Thanks
Old 08-04-2003, 07:09 AM

What I've learn

Well A while back I posted a problem about my 1992 SVX shuting off shortly after starting, but it would only shut off once in the entire day no matter how many times I turned it off. When my car stopped completly and it wouldn't start again, unless I got a battery boost. I figure my alternator was the problem because all the fingers pointed to the alternator. So I got a new reman. Alternator which I installed myself thanks to the intrucstion posted in the How-to-locker. Thanks to this site I was able to determined that my alternator was the reason why my car was stopping shortly after I would start it for the first time. So I figure that my car stopping was a sing that the alternator would soon go, but I've yet to find out why? Has the alternator alwasy been a problem? and why do they die?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:46 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXgarcia
Ok, I replaced the alternator which got rid of all the check lights on the engine,but anew one came on. So when I finally finished the alternator instalaltion I turned the car on after I got a boost then I noticed that my "power" light blinked 16 times, what can the code mean? I did look up the self diagnostic tesyt which I will do but I just figure I check with you guys to see If any of you had any suggestions. Thanks
Powerlight blinking is another issue. Most likely something minor. Look up the code after pulling the code.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM

Actually the "power" light is gone. I have no Idea how but the light dissapear the next day fater I noticed that the light was blinkin. IS that good or bad?
Old 08-05-2003, 07:57 AM

Lightbulb I've Just replaced my alternator, Did I leave something wrong?

I replaced my alternator recently and for some reason my doesnt have enought power to start in the monings. When I leave the car overnight the battery just dies, well I dont know if its the battery but the car wont start until i get a battery boost. Once I get it boost the car starts right away, and I can turn it off then it will start right up no problem. The battery dies only when the car its been off for a long period of time. Thanks for any help
Old 08-05-2003, 11:26 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
are you still using the same battery? if your alternator fails all your power will come from the battery while its running thereby draining it. you need a new one, or you can get autozone to deep cycle it if its salvageable.

thats if your lucky. consider if you get a new battery and it still dies, then you might have a wiring problem which ironically enough, i just posted a personal experience about. go somewhere like a dealer to get some diagnostics. i wouldnt (and dont) trust anyone that cant go deep into your engine to figure out the problems.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:38 PM

I just bought a new battery and hopefully tomorrow morning it will start right up. but thanx for the advice