Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-30-2003, 02:58 PM

Angry now I need a new stut!!!

now my tires and wheels are finally coming tom. I went to a garage to have them look at my alignment, ( it was messed up from the blowout) and they noticed that my strut was bent and they could only special order me one that will take 7 days to 3 weeks to come in . they also said it would $200 for the strut, I was wondering if anyone knew of i a good strut that i could buy myslef and have someone put on it. thanx.....I 'm hoping that i can find someplace that will get me a strut here quicker...I just want to drive my car again I'm going completely insane
Old 07-30-2003, 03:10 PM

the Subaru OEM strut would get shipped to you faster than that and at less cost. I just bought a couple of rear struts at $72.42 from Kerven Subaru with shipping at $12 PA to FLA (came via UPS today - guess what I'm doing this weekend).

Dealer list is like 105 and should only take a couple of days.

IMO, You should change them as pairs.

A local shop has quoted me 8.3 hours labor - to put you in the ballpark
Old 07-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: now I need a new stut!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXGIRL182
now my tires and wheels are finally coming tom. I went to a garage to have them look at my alignment, ( it was messed up from the blowout) and they noticed that my strut was bent and they could only special order me one that will take 7 days to 3 weeks to come in . they also said it would $200 for the strut, I was wondering if anyone knew of i a good strut that i could buy myself and have someone put on it. thanx.....I 'm hoping that i can find someplace that will get me a strut here quicker...I just want to drive my car again I'm going completely insane
Check Kerven Subaru. It should be well under $100.00

However, there probably aren't too many dealers with them in stock, so it might take a week to get.

I had UPS lose one strut during shipment last month and it took about ten days to get the replacement.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
the Subaru OEM strut would get shipped to you faster than that and at less cost. I just bought a couple of rear struts at $72.42 from Kerven Subaru with shipping at $12 PA to FLA (came via UPS today - guess what I'm doing this weekend).

Dealer list is like 105 and should only take a couple of days.

IMO, You should change them as pairs.

A local shop has quoted me 8.3 hours labor - to put you in the ballpark
8.3 hours for the rears? Does that include disassembly of the interior? I just did my rear struts in about 2.5 hours, but I already had the interior out for speaker replacement.

The fronts took me less than two hours.

This car is so easy to work on.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-30-2003, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

8.3 hours for the rears? Does that include disassembly of the interior? I just did my rear struts in about 2.5 hours, but I already had the interior out for speaker replacement.

The fronts took me less than two hours.

This car is so easy to work on.

Doug
yes, that included interior removal/replacement as well as an alignment. I think they may have tacked on a bit since I would be providing the struts - they didn't like that, but since their supply house couldn't get any they said they would do the job - albeit reluctantly. I figured rather than have them take on a job they didn't want to do, I would do it myself.

Partially O/T: locally, Pep Boys has the spring compressor (U-bolt onto spring type) for $49.99 - does this seem a good price? I haven't yet dropped by the local Harbor Freight or sears store.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:40 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by lee

Partially O/T: locally, Pep Boys has the spring compressor (U-bolt onto spring type) for $49.99 - does this seem a good price? I haven't yet dropped by the local Harbor Freight or sears store.
You can also rent spring compressors from Schucks, aka Advance Auto, Checkers, etc. Usually is costs me about $6 to rent it for a few days.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:52 PM
svxstl

i just ordered new struts from Kerven and am having them put on on friday. the midas here quoted me $120 for installation of all 4 struts + $70 for 4-wheel alignment.

A local shop quoted 8.4 hours of labor like everyone else here has found = ~$500. I'll let you know on friday how midas does (or if the price goes up and I go elsewhere) when they realize it's going to take more than $120 of labor.

-Dan
Old 07-30-2003, 04:01 PM

is it really hard to change stuts? i was wondering if maybe my boyfriend could just change them for me but i dont know how much is involved in changing them?
Old 07-30-2003, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

You can also rent spring compressors from Schucks, aka Advance Auto, Checkers, etc. Usually is costs me about $6 to rent it for a few days.
thanks, great idea for a tool I hope not to need often.

SVXGIRL: my SVX friend above produced a very good description of how to change the struts. Print this out and see if it's something you/he thinks can be done at home given your skill level. see reference below:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/10312.pdf
Old 07-30-2003, 04:48 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

thanks, great idea for a tool I hope not to need often.

SVXGIRL: my SVX friend above produced a very good description of how to change the struts. Print this out and see if it's something you/he thinks can be done at home given your skill level. see reference below:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/10312.pdf
The how-to is pretty long. Don't let that scare you. The length is only because I added many tips and details. A single front strut (or a pair as lee suggests, and I suggest), can easily be installed in an afternoon provided you have the required tools.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
SVXGIRL182,
Did you buy your car off of Ebay from a guy in New Castle, PA? I looked at that car. Just curious if you ever got the rear wheel bearing fixed?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:35 PM

nope, I got my car from a dealer in allentown pa about a year and a half ago. I did have to replace a rear bearing though.
I was wondering if anyone could look at this website http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=210-1 i was wondering what i needed to order to get a new strut, I was thinking i only needed 20310B the complete front left, I was also going ot get the extra bolts incase mine got messed up. I have someone that will put it on for me, I just want to find the cheapest place to get one. I also tried advance auto today and of course they have a for every subaru except a svx, and it would have only been around $50 for one I hope i can find one close to that price and one that i can get quickly.....thanx for all of your help
Old 08-01-2003, 06:16 AM

I ordered a strut off of subaruparts.com and i had it overnited so i can have it today. Thank god it should be able be put on tom along with my new wheels and tires. I will post pics. I cant wait
Old 08-01-2003, 09:52 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
nope, I got my car from a dealer in allentown pa about a year and a half ago. I did have to replace a rear bearing though.
I was wondering if anyone could look at this website http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=210-1 i was wondering what i needed to order to get a new strut, I was thinking i only needed 20310B the complete front left, I was also going ot get the extra bolts incase mine got messed up. I have someone that will put it on for me, I just want to find the cheapest place to get one. I also tried advance auto today and of course they have a for every subaru except a svx, and it would have only been around $50 for one I hope i can find one close to that price and one that i can get quickly.....thanx for all of your help
Yes, you just need the "complete strut". Despite what the name suggests, its just the strut body itself. That's all you need though.

Visit my locker

Old 08-01-2003, 01:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
nope, I got my car from a dealer in allentown pa about a year and a half ago.
I'm curious. Who was the dealer you bought it from?

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.