How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Boring Member

Won't pass emissions....may need new cats

My 92 LS-L won't pass emissions (in Colo.). The check engine light has been on most of the time since I aquired it, yet it hasn't stored any codes. My mechanic guesses that it might be saturated cats causing the CO level to be twice the limit. New cats from Subaru run $1600 installed.

My question is this: does anyone know of a source for new cats that are affordable. Not that I would, but it's against the law to install used cats on any vehicle in my state.

This car is going to be the death of me. With no codes, the Subaru techs have no where to start to figure out why it doesn't pass emissions. And I don't have the time or money to just start replacing parts one at a time until it passes.

Any help with emission ideas and/or new cat sources would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:22 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you may want to check if someone in your area has an SVX.

It only takes about an hour to swap exhaust systems from the headers to the back of the middle cat.

Then you can take your car to emissions and if it passes you know you need to at least replace your cats, if not other items.

A check engine light means that new cats will saturate again until you find the source of the problem.

Also, disconnect the negative battery cable overnight to reset the computer. Then it may register a code for you.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Boring Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
Also, disconnect the negative battery cable overnight to reset the computer. Then it may register a code for you.
Doug
I told the tech to disconnect both cables, touch them together, then leave the battery disconnected overnight. I don't think he had ever heard of touching them together (to discharge any capacitance in the system).

And I actually have another SVX myself. I hadn't thought of switching them out. That's a good idea. If I can just get my friggin plates, I will have plenty of time to work on it (and be able to take it for test drives).

Thanks for the quick reply, mohrds.

But at some point, I probably will have to put some new cats on it, and they definitely are NOT coming from Subaru!

Last edited by driverdave; 07-16-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:11 PM
MINEZ BETTER

Re: Won't pass emissions....may need new cats

Quote:
Originally posted by driverdave
My 92 LS-L won't pass emissions (in Colo.). The check engine light has been on most of the time since I aquired it, yet it hasn't stored any codes. My mechanic guesses that it might be saturated cats causing the CO level to be twice the limit. New cats from Subaru run $1600 installed.

My question is this: does anyone know of a source for new cats that are affordable. Not that I would, but it's against the law to install used cats on any vehicle in my state.

This car is going to be the death of me. With no codes, the Subaru techs have no where to start to figure out why it doesn't pass emissions. And I don't have the time or money to just start replacing parts one at a time until it passes.

Any help with emission ideas and/or new cat sources would be greatly appreciated.
show me the emmision result with a scanner i will tell you where to start and be done.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon