SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

How far can I go with EGR problem?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out whether I can use the SVX or if I need to rent a car. I'm getting a CE code 56 - EGR system problem. At idle, it is a little rough and once the engine is warm it is difficult to restart until it cools down. I have to drive to Reno tomorrow (about 250 miles away) and go over the Sierra mountains to get there (need to climb about 7,200ft). What I would like to know is if the problem is likely to get worse if I drive 600 miles over 3 days and if I do will it make things harder to fix later. The problem is manageable right now I really don't want to spend the cash for a rental car. I need that for the blackjack tables.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I am not a mechanic but I can tell you this. If the EGR is stuck open so that it always recycles the exhaust gas, the engine will be continually pulling exhaust into the intake manifold. This is not a good thing. It can cause over heating for the cyclinders involved and increase wear. I do not know if it fails open or closed. However if it failed close it would not effect the behavoir of the engine, it would just put out higher emmissions. The EGR valve is computer controled and normally is not opened all the time.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:21 PM

Remove the EGR and clean it, it might solve your problem...
Old 04-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

One of my friends who is pretty mechanically minded, walked me through some diagnostics. It looks like there is a vacuum leak as there is no pressure going to the valve. All the hoses appear to be on properly, so it must be tear or a leak somewhere. Although it hard to tell, as it is difficult to get my big hands in the tight spaces. I don’t think the problem will cause any engine damage. It will just cause the car to run rough at idle and deceleration. At least that’s what I’ve been lea to believe. I’ll have to hope for the best. I can’t miss out on the fresh powder in Tahoe.

Matt