Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM

What drive shaft fits the svx with a 5spd?

I remember a while back a member found out that a drive shaft from another subaru was a perfect fit. Since i am throwing in a new clutch and 5spd (took a tooth from 2nd again) i figured i could throw one in while i am in there. Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Locker Link Solution

that would be great if it is true...

but I think you mean the legacy wagon one.... I put one in and I had to cut the cup, I think I also had to cut like 3/4 inch off the male piece that actually inserts... I had to drill out the spot welds on the center bearing and reweld the SVX bracket on to it in place of the lego's.... and I STILL had to have a DS shop shorten it by like .25 inches I think it was.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Locker Link Solution

...oh wait, unless you have a 6 speed... the SVX DS I believe is fine as is with 6 speeds, the flange on the diff has to swap over though... among other things
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
that would be great if it is true...

but I think you mean the legacy wagon one.... I put one in and I had to cut the cup, I think I also had to cut like 3/4 inch off the male piece that actually inserts... I had to drill out the spot welds on the center bearing and reweld the SVX bracket on to it in place of the lego's.... and I STILL had to have a DS shop shorten it by like .25 inches I think it was.

What he said...

But it is cheap to have one shortened.....what is expensive is getting one lengthened....

And if you get it shortened, you won't have to cut the cup....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I used a legacy one. Only had to switch the center bearing out with the SVX one. Then it bolted right in on my swap.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Just so you don't make the same mistake I did, the legacy driveshaft you need is going to be out of a 95-99 with a 5 speed transmission. It can be from a wagon or a sedan as they all share the same wheel base. Removing the dust cup is a necessity if you do not have it shortened.

Tom
Old 05-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.. Iam going to go sown and pick a 95 5spd drive shaft after work. So i don't necessarily need to shorten it, but if i dont i need to trim the cup on the trannie end of it? But if i do shorten it which end do i shorten, the shaft in front of the carrier bearing or the shaft behind the carrier bearing? Thanks again
Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses.. Iam going to go sown and pick a 95 5spd drive shaft after work. So i don't necessarily need to shorten it, but if i dont i need to trim the cup on the trannie end of it? But if i do shorten it which end do i shorten, the shaft in front of the carrier bearing or the shaft behind the carrier bearing? Thanks again
If you shorten it, it needs to be between the transmission and the center bearing as that is where all the length differences are

Tom