Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
if you don't pattern the rear you don't know what your backlash and pinion depth are. If they are out of whack it will burn up your rear diff gears and bearings.

Tom
Yeah, I had over tightened it a bit at first, tore it down again and fixed it... I guess that first time has caught up to me Next time I will just swap the plates and LSD.

So now I get a little vibration in the steering on the highway that goes away when I really stomp on the gas and going around the rotary (roundabout) it is great and happy. I see this as further evidence that it is a bearing in the rear diff. Is that sound or bogus?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
So now I get a little vibration in the steering on the highway that goes away when I really stomp on the gas and going around the rotary (roundabout) it is great and happy. I see this as further evidence that it is a bearing in the rear diff. Is that sound or bogus?

In that case, don't rule out your front axles....I had one start doing that in my pearly...thought for sure it was a left front wheel bearing...so I replaced the wheel bearing...didn't fix it...didn't think it could be the axle becaus it was less than a year old...but I replaced it and all was golden....

And it would only make noise in Left turns, was fine going straight, and turning right
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Locker Link Solution

well, then I guess i'll pull them tomorrow night and check em out first. am I just looking for a dead spot? Or did you just replace it without checking it and all was well?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Last edited by Speedklix; 12-18-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
well, then I guess i'll pull them tomorrow night and check em out first. am I just looking for a dead spot? Or did you just replace it without checking it and all was well?

I just replaced mine, as it was free, as it had a lifetime warrentee on it....but it "Seemed" fine when I pulled it out, I couldn't find anything wrong with it, but the new axle fixed it...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Locker Link Solution

CVs felt fine... the driver side shaft had slightly more up/down play than the other, so I may replace that one.

... and speaking of which, should the stubs have play? I can't remember. Aside from that I have a suspicion that it could need a sleeve kit. I do recall the TOB did not go on as tight as they usually do on subies, and I now detect a whirring in the groaning/grinding. I also found that I can almost rid the noise flicking the clutch pedal.

but the vibration in the wheel is bad now... I do know I really need an alignment, may do that tomorrow. Could use a ball joint too I guess.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 AM

The stubs do have some play in them....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Did you check the boot for a tear? Usually happens on the outer boot.

I've had 2 CV's go, both from tears on outer boots, which caused them to not be lubricated enough, and thus make a gross noise when turning under load (as Huck said)

Back to the tranny questions... sorry, I don't know much about it, and I'm trying to figure it out - are all 5speeds 4.11's then?? I thought they usually used the stock SVX rear diff and therefore, final drive (3.545 I think). Is there anything I can pull a 4.44 5spd out of if I wanted? I think I want a 4.11, but as far as exploring options, I want to know what's out there...

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap

Last edited by ridered777; 12-20-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Did you check the boot for a tear? Usually happens on the outer boot.

I've had 2 CV's go, both from tears on outer boots, which caused them to not be lubricated enough, and thus make a gross noise when turning under load (as Huck said)

Back to the tranny questions... sorry, I don't know much about it, and I'm trying to figure it out - are all 5speeds 4.11's then?? I thought they usually used the stock SVX rear diff and therefore, final drive (3.545 I think). Is there anything I can pull a 4.44 5spd out of if I wanted? I think I want a 4.11, but as far as exploring options, I want to know what's out there...
5mt's have plenty of fd ratio's

3.90-6mt
3.90 w/ 1.1 step down for the rear diff to use a 3.545- wrx 5mt
4.11- Usually non turbo 5mt's and some jdm wrx's
4.44- Forester turbo and some jdm wrx's

Tom
Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
5mt's have plenty of fd ratio's

3.90-6mt
3.90 w/ 1.1 step down for the rear diff to use a 3.545- wrx 5mt
4.11- Usually non turbo 5mt's and some jdm wrx's
4.44- Forester turbo and some jdm wrx's

Tom

I've been finding that many of the mid 90's N/A Impreza's came with 3.90's, front and rear...that is what I'm running in mine right now.
And though the final drive is higher than th e4.11 trannys, I believe the individual gears are lower, and leads to a higher RPM at 60mph that the 4.11 5-speeds...but that is just from my memory of my pearly...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
maybe the imp's but the leg's were all 4.11's as far as I know

Tom
Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Yep, the Impreza definitely had many 3.90's, as I have 3 Impreza 3.90's in my possesion, and only one 4.11...Basically, if it comes out of a 90's Impreza (Not RS, or OBS) it is most likely a 3.90, and if a Legacy 4.11
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Ah alright, thanks guys.

Looks like I need a Legacy tranny...

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Locker Link Solution

damn... sounds like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Wo9DMlVRQ

Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Ra gears

I have the RA gears in my wrx 5spd and love them. Got the 5th gear as well as i didnt care about keeping the stock 5th for better rpms on the highway. Much beefier and havent had any issues so far.