Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-11-2007, 04:54 AM

codes and ticking

hello there. i just got my first svx about a week ago, and im lovin it. when i bought it it had a very faint tick. and the check engine light was on. but when i got home the next time i turned on my car the tick was noticably loud. so i did an oil change and put in that mmo you guys recommended. now the tic comes and goes, but is gone most of the time. i checked the engine codes and 4 codes showed.
22) knock sensor(LH)(the right one just got replaced cause it was cracked)
55) egr-gas temp. snsr.
56) egr system
23) air flow sensor.
my question is could any of these code be related to the ticking. or the cause of it. or related to each other. my last car was a vw baja. i havnt learned these new fangled cars yet, with that fuel injection and power steering technology. but i think im gonna have to cause my power steering randomly went out and the abs light came on at the same time. sorry for the long post.any advise would help, this website allready has. thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Headed to Texas...

I've no idea concerning the codes, but the ticking seems to be pretty common and benign. Mine had a faint ticking when I bought it in '96, and although I've only put 35K on it since then the ticking has remained at the same level since then, no worse or better. Different experiments with viscosities of oil have not had any effect that lasted. Some swear by the MMO but I get a little nervous pouring anything with "mystery" in the name into the car.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 02-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
yes the ticking could be a engine knock... replace that knock sensor... the egr could be making the tick as well... if it is stuck and allowing more exhaust gas back in then it should... i would bring it in for the EGR stuff and just get the knock sensor replaced (this is why you should replace knock sensors in pairs)

P.S. ALL subaru engines tick alittle bit.
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 02-11-2007, 03:27 PM

ill see if i can have them looked at monday. my mechanic friend said an engine knock would be pretty distinct. ive been searching and i keep reading about the flexplate. i need to change the starter so ill see if i can look in there and have someone handcrank the motor maby. i think i got air in my ps or something, bacause i found a light leak where a hose clamp wasnt tight. and the fluid was lo. i filled back up but still no power steering. you think the o-ring could be coulprit? are there any links for changing egr knock, sensor etc. i seem to suck at searching forums. thanx 4 the help.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
the ticking isn't knock... I have heard audible knock on the EG33 and I was told... once you have heard it... you will know exactly what it is. If someone was taking a pneumatic scaler to the exhaust pipes... that would be knock... The ticking is probobly a sticky lifter... I find some spirited driving after a fresh oil change will take care of things

Tom