Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-21-2005, 03:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
The future of performance motoring??

Combination Supercharger and Turbocharger for VW Golf GT

September 15, 2005 At the International Motor Show (Cars) in Frankfurt, Volkswagen is presenting to the general public a groundbreaking innovation in the drive sector: The world’s first twinturbocharged FSI engine – the “Twincharger”. The compact 1.4 litre direct-injection engine develops 125 kW / 170 PS and has a maximum torque of 240 newton metres in the range from 1750 to 4500 rpm thanks to the combination of an exhaust turbocharger with a mechanically driven compressor. Furthermore, the “Twincharger” delivers a torque corresponding to a naturally aspirated engine of approximately 2.3 litres. And its fuel consumption is around 20 percent lower.

Diversified industrial manufacturer Eaton Corporation partnered with Volkswagen to help produce the combination supercharger and turbocharger system. The twincharger system combines a half-size, Eaton Roots-type supercharger with a single-stage turbocharger on VW's new TSI 1.4-liter gasoline engine, which replaces the FSI engine previously available on the Golf in Europe. The system boosts the four-cylinder engine to 168 horsepower and 177 lb-feet of torque at an impressive fuel consumption average of 39.2 mpg.

"This system really is a best-of-both-worlds scenario: two technologies carefully crafted into a system that helps Volkswagen answer European consumers' demands for performance and fuel efficiency in one cost-effective package," said Jeffrey Romig, vice president and general manager, Eaton Air Induction and Cylinder Head Systems.

By combining the performance-enhancing elements of supercharging and turbocharging, a customer realizes the benefits of both technologies. The belt-driven supercharger compressor provides high torque at low engine speeds. The turbocharger kicks in to provide added performance at higher rpms. When the turbo system reaches ideal speeds, the supercharger is declutched and an electronically controlled bypass valve directs air to the turbocharger, which delivers high-end power without the "lag" generally associated with turbocharging.

The combination system allows an automaker the option to provide a smaller displacement gasoline engine while improving performance, and reducing fuel consumption and emissions. The system is an evolution of Eaton's long history of innovation in engine air management, primarily in supercharging. In addition to boosting performance, automakers are also using superchargers to assist with meeting fuel economy and emission requirements in gasoline engines. In Europe, forecasts show that 70% of gasoline engines will be equal to or less than the 2.0-liter size. These lower displacements will require boosting to maintain performance, drivability, and emissions compliance.

The new system will be supplied from Eaton's facility in Tczew, Poland with production expected to ramp up in September. The 2006 Golf GT goes on sale this fall and Volkswagen will use a variation of the TSI engine in future European models including the Touran compact MPV.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 09-21-2005, 06:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
It's interesting, but I don't know about it being 'the future.' I think it's more an example of a solution to a specific problem. The first thing I imagine an 'enthusiast' doing to it is ripping the twincharger out and fitting a bigger turbo.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
SVXtra

Far Out! In theory they can use this technology in the near future on a direct-injection say 1.8 liter diesel, get maybe 200 hp out of it and perhaps 60 mpg. I love it. Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
They did twincharging for a while on rally cars. They had aspacific class for them. I think it was in the early 80's. I want to say there was a 2.0L Audi that was around 800HP and 45 psi. They decided the cars were too dangerous and banded the entire class.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Yea, Lancia had one too, it was the Delta S4. \

I think they also had very limited production ones judging by this photo. it can a also be a concept or touring model.

However I think twincharging is great for deisels for the reasons SVXtra stated.

Or how about a twincharged common rail directed injected 2.5l diesel, like the one found in the upcoming Toyota Innova which already comes turbocharged btw. But then swapping it into a Corolla, or even Scion xA or B, with AWD.

Actually an engine like that would be a great option for the Tundra or even 4Runner.

Another canidate could be Honda's diesel which put out pretty good hp to litres numbers thanks to their i-CTDi which already set a speed as well as fuel economy record in the Accord, for diesels. But then again a variable valve mechanics can conflict with the one or more of the aspects of the twincharger. But I think I would buy a twincharged 2.0l ctdi diesel Honda Civic hatchback over maybe even a Si.

If VW sold this twincharged Golf FSi in the US, particular people would be all over just like they were with the Civic in the 90s.

Last edited by Weebitob; 09-22-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Wow, nobody really seems to care about this.

I am thinking twincharged diesels are not only a viable alternative to gasoline hybrids but also are what diesel need to have more tunable appeal.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
SVXtra

Weebitob:

Patience is the key word with regard to new diesel engine technology in the United States. I am betting numerous manufactures are waiting to test and evaluate the new U.S. mandated ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel [ULSD] to appear here in 2006 before they bring a entirely a new generation of diesel engines to market. Mercedes recently released a new world class diesel engine here and more will soon follow. Toyota, Honda, VW and others have a whole new generation of powerful, clean, economical and extremely reliable diesel engines on there drawing boards. Of, course, the jury is still out on Toyota and Honda sending diesel Corolla's and Accord's to America. But, as you well know the dynamics and the need for fuel efficient cars in the U.S. is changing rapidly as the cost of gasoline increases. And I'm sure many here are aware of the fact that it is far easier and cheaper to refine diesel fuel than it is regular unleaded gasoline. I predict that in three to four years you will see a new generation of diesel engines in America powering everything from large SUV's to 60 mpg economy cars.

Last edited by SVXtra; 09-23-2005 at 09:01 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: